decay

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

T-shirt

decay

Postby T-shirt » Mon May 15, 2006 8:25 pm

I am against decay and repairing, but as it is present in the game, it should be present fairly.

That's why I suggest that putting items in repair does not prevent them from decaying.

This will be a harsh change for most of my characters and probably for most of yours, but decay and repair was implemented to push people to share objects and have people repair for payment. What I did notice to happen is that all decayable objects are stored in repair projects and only taken out of repair once needed.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx
Hellzon

Re: decay

Postby Hellzon » Mon May 15, 2006 8:27 pm

Then we'll need to be able to cancel projects first. Otherwise you'll have honest people putting several things on repair and then have one rot to pieces while repairing another.
[21:35] Sunni: no peeing on people in chat!
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon May 15, 2006 8:42 pm

I think that is something that is in the works, because I don't think that they're meant to not decay in repair. They may not have decided to do that just yet though. There need to be ways to fight rapid tool decay before they start decaying in repair. Right now, it's the only thing there is to fight decay at all. There need to be things like storage for them (not to necessarily stop decay altogether, but to slow it down a good deal), and I know that those things are also probably something somewhere in the list of things to do.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Agar

Postby Agar » Mon May 15, 2006 9:30 pm

With out a way to store an item, there must be some way to slow decay. Right now, in my basement, I have a bow from the 50's with a string from the 70's ready to go. I can take it back out and shoot some arrows in a matter of moments. I don't even need a bow stringer to put the string on. And how is it stored?

IT'S SITTING ON A SHELF, UNSTRUNG!!!

If we had some way to store items, then yes, by all means, make items in repair rot. Until then, NO, THEY DON'T ROT!

I'll bump this up to number two on my personal list of things to see what can be done, and see what is possible.
Reality was never my strong point.
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Mon May 15, 2006 9:32 pm

Then decay could better be postponed till cancelation of repair projects is added.

Right now the effect of decay is contraproductive. Tools are being hoarded instead of shared.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon May 15, 2006 10:04 pm

Again this has always been planned and will be implemented

It probably will wait until usage based decay has been introduced and
the non-usage decay rates have been reviewed (and possibly lowered)
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Mon May 15, 2006 10:13 pm

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!
It's hard enough to keep tools as it is without repair projects disintergrating! My charris are doomed! Doomed I tell you! This is a really -bad- idea, it mucks up quite alot of game mechanics
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we" - George W. Bush
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Mon May 15, 2006 10:15 pm

As decay is meant to be. I hate it too, but it's in there and should be fair. No bugs to escape the rules.
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Tue May 16, 2006 12:12 am

I think before objects can decay in repair, there does need to be a way to store them I have a charri who shares her things.. but she has so many that are only used part time... they are kept in repair so they don't rot away while she uses others.... Now... there are tools, stored in my fathers garage... been there for MANY years... not being used... they are still like new..!!! Tools rot way to fast... repairs have most definitely improved..(for most things)... but...

(edited for context)
Last edited by Sunni Daez on Tue May 16, 2006 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Tue May 16, 2006 6:55 am

Oh deary deary me..... all those crowbars in repair!
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue May 16, 2006 7:22 am

Phalynx wrote:Oh deary deary me..... all those crowbars in repair!

:?

I don't know about you, but if my character has a crowbar, that crowbar spends as little time in repair as possible. Just enough to keep it in decent shape. I'd much rather my character have instant access to their crowbar than have it sitting in a repair project.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Tue May 16, 2006 10:34 am

I seem to see a few characters who maintain a rotational system - one in repair and one in hand... ok for boats and if your at home but not so good for the raider!
R.I.P:

Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Tue May 16, 2006 10:55 am

If I interpret Chris's post correctly, and decay is reduced, preferably considerably, if items are simply stored, rather than used, I'm happy. Things wear out from use, not storage.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Tue May 16, 2006 11:58 am

Chris Johnson wrote:Again this has always been planned and will be implemented

It probably will wait until usage based decay has been introduced and
the non-usage decay rates have been reviewed (and possibly lowered)

Good good, decay based on usage is far superior to an arbitary time based decay
Mr. Bones

Re: decay

Postby Mr. Bones » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:26 am

Prog D can correct me if I'm wrong, but the changes in the repair system should have implemented this. Moving to implemented, if I'm wrong feel free to move it back.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”