Coin Press (rklenseth's idea)

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

rklenseth

Coin Press (rklenseth's idea)

Postby rklenseth » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:44 am

I know this idea was shot down when it was suggested on the Yahoo! Boards but I would like to revive that discussion. I think it might be a good idea to allow the construction of a coin press that can make coins from metals: rare or not. It could work by having someone add a metal to the machine and then giving the coins a specific name. A society can determine the coin's value from what it's made from or how many of that coin is in the economy. I know in the past that Tircqi has used envelops as a money system and in Quillanoi there is the Qui and other places have had different resources but have since gone back to straight bartering because it became to complicated with the records. Other societies have come up with an idea of using gold or silver as a money system but those ideas were always shot down because people were afraid that people would bring in too much money and there would be no way to regulate the flow. People also said that people might take the gold or silver and use it on jewelry thus taking too much money out of the economy. I think the coin press would allow a less complicated money system as well as a way for a government to regulate the money system (though people, if they had a coin press themselves, could make counterfeit coins but that is something that authorities could more easily stop). When societies finally meet up they can develop exchange rates where banks would have to hire money changers.
Last edited by rklenseth on Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meh

Postby Meh » Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:29 am

You missed the 6 page post here which probally repeated the whole thing. :)

Where I thought it was left was without programing the resource dept could add a generic coin press that has no functionality. Once built the builders would contact the resource dept and say what the names of the coins should be that the machine produces and what they are made out of. Coins would be 1g. Each machine would be unique. Someone could build a conterfiet machine and then convince the resource dept that they can create fakes.

Creating a second device to be used with a press, a plate, would allow for the machine to stay generic but the plates to be unique.

Didn't see the press implemented. Maybe it's on a list of todos.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:43 am

I like the plate idea. Perhaps after the coin press is built in order to start making coins you would need to build a plate. When building the plate you would put in how much metal (and you could use multiple metals) and what the name of the coin would be (like when you name a building or a car or something). A plate would be able to make like 6 coins per project. A plate could be copied like you would a key so if you had two coin presses, you could make the coins on two different machines.

Perhaps a person who wants to counterfeit a coin could either steal a plate and copy it or take an existing coin and try to forge a plate from that coin. The quality of the coin would be worse but could not be seen unless examined.

hehe, I did miss those topics. That must happening for the week of posting that missed about a week ago.
Meh

Postby Meh » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:15 am

What is the production rate of coins?

If it takes one person a day to make 48 coins then gold or diamond are better except for the ease of getting more.

I had an alternate thought to presses.

What if coin where just hand made. A coin hammer?

With a coin hammer you could make:

200 1g wood coins of 250g of wood in one day. These are worth two days of resoruces total or 1% of a day.

20 1g gold, silver, copper, tin of 50g of these soft metals in one day. {I'm not familiar with the mining rates of all of these off the top of my head 50g/day?}. These are worth two days of resoruces total or 10% of a day. {other metals}

2 1g iron coins of 50g of iron in one day. These are worth two days of resoruces total or 100% of a day.

1 1g steel coin of 343g of steel in one day. This is worth 10 days plus who would not make something else out of all that steel?

Nothing like real life but it's a system.

10 days = 1g steel coin
1 day = 1g iron coin
0.1 day = 1g soft metal coin
0.01 day = 1g wood coin

Coins made of rice would be difficult since it would be hard to read the demonation written on them. :P
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:24 am

My thought was to stick to just precious metals but I do like the wood coin idea. I thinking that you could use different amounts of a metal or even multiple metals (like a silver gold coin). A 2 gram gold coin would be worth more than a 1 gram coin.

Perhaps to stick with the nature of the plate for the coin press you would need a stamp to go with the hammer. A stamp would work a lot like a plate as well.
Meh

Postby Meh » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:28 am

7g wooden coin #73298 "Bubba wooden nickel"
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:32 am

hmmmm.... I like. It tells you what the coin is and its name but maybe you wouldn't need a number except maybe for the plates or stamps. Once the coin is made it could read "Bubba Wooden Nickel, a 7 gram wooden coin".
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:12 am

Personalisation is only possible when the programming dept implements it, and I have no idea when that is.

You can't ask resources to make personalised coins because that would mean making a new entry in the database, and you would have to build that making the one you already built useless, and anyone could build that press, and also to personalise coins like that would mean making personalised resources. Tools to make coins wouldn't work as tools are programmed in such a way that they can't produce resources, oly machines do that.

I would like to see a generic press that produces non-personal coins, that can be done now, and we can use that until someone "discovers" how to personalise them.

I think the reason it isn't done yet is that it's still with the Game Admin Board being decieded if it's right for the game
g1asswa1ker

something made should be able to be unmade

Postby g1asswa1ker » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:42 pm

coins made of metal can be melted. Also Steel sabers and swords can be melted down as well and made into less dangours things of coures the other way is true innocent things can be melted down to make dangours things.
Somehow you strayed and lost your way,
and now there'll be no time to play,
no time for joy,
no time for friends
- not even time to make amends.
You are too naïve if you do believe life is innocent laughter and fun.
west

Postby west » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:02 pm

swords to ploughshares
and vice versa

interesting note as well...using cows and horses to pull plows for agriculture.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
thingnumber2

Postby thingnumber2 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:40 am

maybe the coins could be a key of a sort...not personalized, but if you went back to the machine that pressed it, only coins pressed in it would fit...counterfeiters could counterfeit until someone brought the money to the press....
swymir

Postby swymir » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:06 am

I still beleive that coins should first be implemented and all the bugs removed before we even talk about counterfeight coins.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:33 pm

Agreed Symir, lets have something to play with before we start worrying about how to ensure it's validiaty
Nick

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:36 am

Ah, Solfius and I have been talking about this for a loooong time. Yes, generic coin presses are the way to go for now. IRL if a criminal had the resources to build a coin maker, and get the metals, then he could really make good counterfeit coins. Truth is it would be hard to tell counterfeit coins from real ones... most criminals would try to make paper money instead of wasting their time on quarters. Coin presses cannot be truly unique IRL either... if you copy that plate or if you make a mold from a coin... you could easily make a shiny brand new quarter. Dont worry about counterfeiting for now, I dont think the use will be common enough to allow thet yet. Lets just see about generic ones and then we can see what happens. Of course its all up to the Programming Dept.
oddedd

what if..

Postby oddedd » Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:15 pm

An idea for forgery provension I had about a week ago....

using the plate idea what if you could make like a coin inspection glass, and then every plate leaves an uncotrollable signiture of jargon (random characters) like 50 chars long or something, on ever coin it presses. And this sig can only be seen with a coin insecption glass!

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”