Images in notes

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Cosmo Harrigan
Administrator Emeritus

Images in notes

Postby Cosmo Harrigan » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:49 am

If you are interested in drawing an image and putting it into a note, please send the image as a GIF, PNG, or JPEG attatchment to programming@cantr.net. Then, it will be uploaded for you and you will be provided with an image link to put in the note.
Last edited by Cosmo Harrigan on Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Missy

Postby Missy » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:52 am

COOOOOOOOOOOL Beans. *BEEMS happily*
Cosmo Harrigan
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Cosmo Harrigan » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:53 am

Several players have already done this, and I feel that it can sometimes add an extra dimension of creativity to the game.
The Hunter

Postby The Hunter » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:07 am

So, would it be allowed no to spice a "map" up with the images of the location? Maybe edited to overlap each other and to show the "roads"? Only if your char. who makes the map has been there ofcourse.
Life is fun. Play naked with Psycho-Pixie.

"Our enemies are resourceful and innovative".
"and so are we..."
They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and people"
"and neither do we"
~G.W Bush
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:33 pm

Yes, that would actually be cool :)
watermelonnose

Postby watermelonnose » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:23 pm

The image would be available for any players use by looking at the source code of the note. Would it be possible to encrypt the code so only the character with the key could use the image.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:40 pm

if you can see and copy the note, what does it matter if you can see the source? Even if you can't see the source you can save the picture and use it elsewhere, perhaps by linking from some personal webspace.

About maps, it's already been done, a bit inaccurately based purely on exit roads, and more recently based on location pics whilst at locations and travelling.
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:16 pm

Cool...this opens up the possibility for art.
I like that.
jeslange

Postby jeslange » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:28 am

I made a map that's taken forever. At each location, I saved the location image, printed the picture (killed alot of trees for tiny little squares), and pasted the images together on a bigger piece of paper. Then I colored the forests, deserts, lakes, seas, etc. I put the road lines in pencil, so I can replace them later. I did all of this, and then Jos said something like, "Hehehe, did I mention that north may not always be north?"
:shock: :arrow: :? :arrow: :( :arrow: :cry: :arrow: :evil: :arrow:
:twisted:
Anyway, I took a picture of it with my digital camera, so I'll have a guide when I spill something on the original, or when my cats chew it up, when I catch it on fire, when it gets mistaken as trash, or any of the other daily threats papers in my house face.
Missy

Postby Missy » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:15 am

jeslange wrote:Jos said something like, "Hehehe, did I mention that north may not always be north?"
:shock: :arrow: :? :arrow: :( :arrow: :cry: :arrow: :evil: :arrow:
:twisted:

LMMFAO! GAHHHH!! I"m so glad I don't have a sense of direction in real life which makes me inable to care about direction in game too! Otherwise I'd probably have done the same thing as you. GAHHH! LOL that really sux fer you...lol :lol: :evil:
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:16 am

I see the Siom mapmaker has a graphic map made of the location pics all stuck together, but it's very small, and has no roads marked on it, which I think greatly reduces its value: the whole point of a map is to be able to see where you are going and how to get there, but if there re no roads marked on, how do you know?
ephiroll

Postby ephiroll » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:19 pm

The graphic on that map was only meant to show the coastline and the physical location of areas with important resources, the written info is all you need to navigate by for the most part anyway. Also that map was made before you could tell what direction you were taking, and before you could access the location page while you traveled. Until then the only way to link far locations together was to piece together the maps taken from the locations, and hope you could figure out where they went. The map will be updated...but the mapmaker is busy with some other things at the moment...
http://www.ephiroll.com
Jeremiah 'Jerry' Donaldson
Meh

Postby Meh » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:47 pm

Ever see that early spanish IRL map that showed California as not connected to the mainland? Map only show what they can show. The rest is art.
ephiroll

Postby ephiroll » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:51 pm

yeah...there were some crazy old maps...like the Catholic map that showed demons surrounding them...
http://www.ephiroll.com
Jeremiah 'Jerry' Donaldson
west

Postby west » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:06 am

what's so crazy about that?

:evil: :twisted:
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.

Return to “General Discussion”