Football is back

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

the_antisocial_hermit

Re: Football is back

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:54 pm

EchoMan wrote:Why do they insist calling it football? They play with their hands, all dressed up in hockey gear.

To confuse you and make you ask this question? :)
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
NancyLee

Postby NancyLee » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:38 pm

I've watched my first american football match today at a friend's place (Chargers vs Chiefs). Only that it was more like hearing than watching, since I wasn't finding it very... thrilling. Thing is that, while I was outside doing stuff, I noticed that I was enjoying the commentators, so it was more interesting than I thought at first, at least as background sound while doing things. I'll try to follow the rest of the league on the radio, if I find where to do so, I don't think that sport is even a little bit popular here.

I feel like supporting San Diego, since they're my ever first, but obviously I'm a total outsider.

EchoMan wrote:Why do they insist calling it football? They play with their hands, all dressed up in hockey gear.

:lol: You reminded me...
“Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.”
― Frida Kahlo
Bowser

Postby Bowser » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Those were not very good teams and it was not an exciting game.
Homer wrote: "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel. "
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:45 am

Alladinsane wrote:I like Ncaa... Since my Alma is UCF, football is hard to take so far though they are getting better every year. There is always a contender in florida it seems, right now its usually UF...though FSU, miami, have a heck of a history and USF is also starting to come of age. But I agree that the odds on favorite is Alabama. Pretty much whoever emerges from the SEC is a veteran team after that rigorous schedule. Alot of people just don't notice until the BCS comes out, now that we have it, perhaps there will be some excitement.

It's obvious there are two contenders in the SEC East right now, Florida and Georgia. Both one loss teams, both one conference loss. Who do you think will clinch the East? If Alabama gets past Auburn this Saturday(They should as a 30 point favorite) they clinch the West for sure. I would like to see Georgia play just for a change of venue from the usual, but either way I see it as being a huge game.

SEC has won the NC for six years straight. Chances are whoever wins the SEC championship game will be moving on to play Notre Dame for the National Championship, either way Notre Dame is going to get a big SEC Hello in January.
Bowser

Postby Bowser » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:31 am

Redskins beat Dallas... we want to do more but that's enough to make our season respectable... Sunday is football day.. unless its Thursday Night or Monday Night.
Homer wrote: "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel. "
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Mr. Bones wrote:
It's obvious there are two contenders in the SEC East right now, Florida and Georgia. Both one loss teams, both one conference loss. Who do you think will clinch the East? If Alabama gets past Auburn this Saturday(They should as a 30 point favorite) they clinch the West for sure. I would like to see Georgia play just for a change of venue from the usual, but either way I see it as being a huge game.

SEC has won the NC for six years straight. Chances are whoever wins the SEC championship game will be moving on to play Notre Dame for the National Championship, either way Notre Dame is going to get a big SEC Hello in January.

I don't think Notre Dame is in the same class as the top 4 or maybe even more SEC teams (I hope I end up eating those words...almost) But on any given night... they -got- there at least. Seeing two SEC teams in the final BCS game inflates the ego, but doesnt necessarily inflate the ratings nationwide. I don't have a dog in this hunt, I just hope its entertaining. Otherwise... It will be a good night to get some sleep.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:51 pm

Is it bad that I go to football games just for the marching bands? :3
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:06 am

Alladinsane wrote:
Mr. Bones wrote:

I don't think Notre Dame is in the same class as the top 4 or maybe even more SEC teams (I hope I end up eating those words...almost) But on any given night... they -got- there at least. Seeing two SEC teams in the final BCS game inflates the ego, but doesnt necessarily inflate the ratings nationwide. I don't have a dog in this hunt, I just hope its entertaining. Otherwise... It will be a good night to get some sleep.

I'm for sure glad that Alabama is going. I don't know if you caught that SEC championship game but it was a 3 hour nail biter. Neither team could keep the lead for more than a few minutes and there were times I wanted to throw up. lol Both teams were as perfectly matched as they could be.

I actually am in agreement with most people outside of the Southeast, I prefer to have one SEC team in the NC and the other team in another conference. It keeps things interesting, plus people do a lot of crying when there are two SEC teas, and that gets on my nerves. When we do win those games it gives the SEC added credibility and bragging rights outside of the conference. I think Notre Dame is a good team for their conference, and they have done well against their opponents, but their opponents just didn't seem to be on the same level as ours. I think they're going to learn what grown man football is in January and it's going to be a shocking learning experience for the Irish.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:50 am

I watched it, yeah, it was an awesome game. One that will be memorable for at least a year.

Notre Dame is probably overmatched (imo)... and I think that Florida, Georgia, LSU, maybe even Arkansas would be a betting mans favorite when facing this years Fighting Irish. But again, on any given day! How many people saw (ahead of time) the Giants beating the 18-0 Patriots team a few years back? Last year too? If you get on the Gridiron, you have a chance, that ball bounces in funny ways.

The fastest person doesn't win -every- race, but its still the smarter place to stake your money.

Be well.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Bowser

Postby Bowser » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Play Off time. Go Skins!
Voltenion

Postby Voltenion » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 pm

I haven't picked a team yet, I was liking the vikings but... oh well.
"Delete Fu Island" activist.
Bowser

Postby Bowser » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:41 am

Bowser wrote:Play Off time. Go Skins!

*^&%^$@#$@#$RR$&*
Voltenion

Postby Voltenion » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Bowser wrote:
Bowser wrote:Play Off time. Go Skins!

*^&%^$@#$@#$RR$&*

My condolences. Sucks that RGIII wasn't at his best physical form.
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:01 pm

Alladinsane wrote:I watched it, yeah, it was an awesome game. One that will be memorable for at least a year.

Notre Dame is probably overmatched (imo)... and I think that Florida, Georgia, LSU, maybe even Arkansas would be a betting mans favorite when facing this years Fighting Irish. But again, on any given day! How many people saw (ahead of time) the Giants beating the 18-0 Patriots team a few years back? Last year too? If you get on the Gridiron, you have a chance, that ball bounces in funny ways.

The fastest person doesn't win -every- race, but its still the smarter place to stake your money.

Be well.

I kind of felt bad for Florida losing to Louisville like that. What happened in that game? Number 3 losing to Number 21? My guess was underestimation, Florida not taking them seriously in practice.

As far as today's game goes.

Voltenion

Postby Voltenion » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:14 am

Fantastic games so far this weekend. That Seattle coach is probably still crying for calling that timeout.

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”