Show Actions In Whispers

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

NostalgicMelody7

Re: Show Actions In Whispers

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Doug R. wrote:This whole game functions through specific user input. I really don't see how that's an argument. Now, it's a choice if you want to make an emote public or not. If this is implemented, nothing at all changes. The only difference is that this would be eliminating a step, and a line in the events, which is a good thing. I really don't think Armulus understood the suggestion.

For example:

*she speaks in a hushed tone to Armulus* I think you misunderstood the situation. *shrugs*

If we CHOSE to make the emotes public, it would be this:

*shrugs*
You see she whispering to Armulus
*she speaks in a hushed tone to Armulus*

Under the proposed system, we could make the same CHOICE this way:

#she speaks in a hushed tone to Armulus# I think you misunderstood the situation. #shrugs#

Would appear as (for example):

*she speaks in a hushed tone to Armulus* (She whispers to Armulus.) *shrugs*

1 line vs. 3 lines. A 300% improvement in event clutter in this situation.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE IMPLEMENT IT ALREADY!
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Sat May 26, 2012 7:15 pm

NostalgicMelody7 wrote:
Doug R. wrote:This whole game functions through specific user input. I really don't see how that's an argument. Now, it's a choice if you want to make an emote public or not. If this is implemented, nothing at all changes. The only difference is that this would be eliminating a step, and a line in the events, which is a good thing. I really don't think Armulus understood the suggestion.

For example:

*she speaks in a hushed tone to Armulus* I think you misunderstood the situation. *shrugs*

*shrugs*

#she speaks in a hushed tone to Armulus# I think you misunderstood the situation. #shrugs#

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE IMPLEMENT IT ALREADY!

Yes please. And I shall give you cookies. But the longer you wait, the fewer cookies you will get.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon May 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Add -emote-, <emote> and **emote. to the list. Seen all three recently.
Hedgedhogst

Postby Hedgedhogst » Mon May 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Problem with -emote- is that I've seen it used to put emphasis on a word, mid sentence.

"Or perhaps I -really- don't care."

People are very anti-caps in cantr. I love it. 8)
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.
Rumaan

Postby Rumaan » Mon May 28, 2012 6:12 pm

I am not sure why this feature is so important to all you guys. What if some emotes are hidden from everyone? May be the two people whispering are just doing so in a quiet corner of the town square. After all when someone whispers, it is supposed to be private. It sounds ridiculous to me that everyone can see the minute facial expressions of a whisperer but cannot really hear what he is saying.

I am personally happy if two people have a lengthy conversation through whispers. When I log in, all I see is:
"You see A talking to B"
"You see B talking to A"

which I can quickly scroll over. If all emotes are public, skimming quickly to find what I want just becomes a lot tougher. If any of you want to emote in public, you can already do so. Why do you have to force it on everyone?
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Mon May 28, 2012 9:30 pm

For example:

*shrugs*

Just to make sure I am understanding, Doug:
So by using different symbols we can still keep our actions private in whispers? And with this change we'll be able to show emotes while in in whisper but now on one line instead of three?
My old banner ;)
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Mon May 28, 2012 11:34 pm

What happens for people who double-type on accident and don't...uh, I don't know how to word this.

Basically:

Would this:
#she speaks in a hushed tone to Armulus## I think you misunderstood the situation. #shrugs#

become:
You see A talking to Armulus. She speaks in a hushed tone to Armulus. I think you misunderstood the situation. #

?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue May 29, 2012 1:55 am

Since 100% of the people against this don't actually understand the suggestion and are objecting to problems that don't exist, I'm moving it to accepted.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue May 29, 2012 2:07 am

I'm not against it... I only asked if I DID understand it...
My old banner ;)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 am

Yes, you understood it.
Navi

Postby Navi » Tue May 29, 2012 2:47 am

Snickie's concern is valid though. It happens often enough in game that characters denoting emotes are missing that it isn't a stretch at all that this could happen. But a misplaced character is more likely to have possible side effects in game in this case (possibly saying something out loud that should have been private). Maybe a preview button would be a good idea in this case? Even a verification of matching sets (there is an even number of them, if a single character is being used) when clicking to submit it would be better than nothing (similar to most online forms requiring valid email address, etc.).
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue May 29, 2012 5:15 am

Oh, preview option would help a lot for code noobs like me :P
My old banner ;)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue May 29, 2012 10:07 am

Navi wrote:Snickie's concern is valid though. It happens often enough in game that characters denoting emotes are missing that it isn't a stretch at all that this could happen. But a misplaced character is more likely to have possible side effects in game in this case (possibly saying something out loud that should have been private). Maybe a preview button would be a good idea in this case? Even a verification of matching sets (there is an even number of them, if a single character is being used) when clicking to submit it would be better than nothing (similar to most online forms requiring valid email address, etc.).

Accidentally saying something out loud that is meant to be a whisper is already a possible part of the game. I had a character killed because of a mistake like that. Typos will happen, but I don't think we need to hard-code protections against it.
Navi

Postby Navi » Tue May 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Doug R. wrote:
Navi wrote:Snickie's concern is valid though. It happens often enough in game that characters denoting emotes are missing that it isn't a stretch at all that this could happen. But a misplaced character is more likely to have possible side effects in game in this case (possibly saying something out loud that should have been private). Maybe a preview button would be a good idea in this case? Even a verification of matching sets (there is an even number of them, if a single character is being used) when clicking to submit it would be better than nothing (similar to most online forms requiring valid email address, etc.).
  Accidentally saying something out loud that is meant to be a whisper is already a possible part of the game.  I had a character killed because of a mistake like that.  Typos will happen, but I don't think we need to hard-code protections against it.

And I'm of the view that mistakes made because of the interface shouldn't be a part of the game, but we probably disagree on that.  

Besides, in this case it would be far easier to accidentally say something out loud, so I don't think it is even comparable. Currently, to make that mistake you have to be entirely on the wrong page. With this, you would just have to leave out a character or accidentally type one too many. Both are common mistakes.  

It would also be fine if it defaulted to being all private if there was a mistake somewhere.
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:16 pm

I'm in agreement with Navi here.

mistakes made because of the interface shouldn't be a part of the game.

I've seen people who can never seem to distinguish between their actions and whispers with the characters too. And you've people who don't honestly know how to use punctuation. Think they're going to have an easy time of distinguishing this?? Yes there is a chance of people "overhearing"whispers, that is a totally different thing than if a typo is made because you left out a character and all of a sudden your whole whisper is blasted out loud because of a typo.

Maybe another option would be to have two text boxes when you get to the whisper screen:

Text here: "Enter text"
Emotes here: "Enter emote associated with text"

I would prefer something to that effect rather than setting set characters to differentiate between the two where typos can be easily made and screw whispers up completely.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”