Spawning characters of new players

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Doug R.

Re: Spawning characters of new players

Postby Doug R. » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:36 pm

The first character of new players is already placed in a large town. This mechanism has been in place for years.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
masterekat

Postby masterekat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:06 pm

psychowico wrote:And what with this characters? They would be teleported in other place when they ready? Or stay there forever?

No, the new player will be told their first character is simply a tutorial character and not one they will be keeping after they feel they understand all the basics of the game, so they shouldn't spend much time developing it. They would stay on the tutorial island as long as they needed to and then maybe when the player chooses to complete the tutorial maybe the other characters would see an event like "You notice X disappear / leave the area." Once the player has left the tutorial island, they can proceed with creating their first two real characters.

EDIT: Or maybe the character would die upon leaving, so the other characters can understand how burying works.

EDIT 2: Other ideas for tutorials, you say? Do tell...some of those ideas could be even better.
Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:02 am

I think that a tutorial could be done in a much shorter and simpler fashion. For example, in Mass Effect 2, your character is told exactly where to go and what to do in the first mission. "Go there (big arrow) and pick up the pistol. Go to the door and press the X button." And so on. By the end of that tutorial mission, the game mechanics have been explained, and the player has successfully followed the instructions to do the basic tasks. Something similar could be done with the Cantr interface. The key is for it to be short, linear, and explicit about OOC mechanics.
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:15 am

You think about something like this?
http://cantr-mmorpg.pl/Stories/Rdzawa-R ... ?reset=yes

This was prepared by GreeK, for polish players. It's easy, player must followed the instructions and have interesting RP with few possible ways, diffrent ending etc.
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

https://www.kinkykitty.pl
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:24 pm

I love it! It auto translates on my browser and I had to play. Good for all new players.
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:59 pm

How do you get it to auto translate?
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:38 pm

If you have any good idea how we can use it to promotion.. :roll:
This is GreeK works, I think he prepare this as store-system for many stories in any language, he ask us for writing cantr-story for him some time ago.
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

Addicted

Postby Addicted » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:14 am

Oasis wrote:How do you get it to auto translate?

Sorry, it just did it.
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:46 am

If you have Google Chrome websites can be automaticaly translating. If Chrome not proposing it to you, try move to menu:
Options -> Advanced and check some option with translating ;)

MelloYell

Postby MelloYell » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:32 pm

on polish pages, my auto translate never works. i click the option for it to translate, but it just "thinks".... :(

Return to “Suggestions”