Writing on walls with blood

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SekoETC

Writing on walls with blood

Postby SekoETC » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:01 am

I've had to remove some sabotage projects that were used as building messages and even though people are abusing the weakness of the system that doesn't allow getting rid of sabotage projects, it's kinda sad that those messages can be deleted with two clicks. People who get dragged into buildings and murdered would deserve a way to leave messages other than writing notes which can be picked up and stuffed into an envelope far too fast, or by leaving building messages which is abusing the system.

It would make sense if wounded characters could write messages on the walls or floor with their own blood. At first I thought it should be a project that can only be worked on by wounded people, and you could write faster if you had a lot of damage (in other words, when you were bleeding a lot), but that would be difficult to program.

An easier way would be to create a resource called blood, and some would be added to a person's inventory when they get hit. It could then be used to write things, and the max length of the writing would depend on how much blood you have available. It wouldn't allow starting it if you didn't have enough resources, but it would be good if you could add more letters in the end if you happen to acquire more blood.

The messages would be sort of like landmarks, but they would deteriorate so that the text would flake away on it's own in say, a few decades, but it could be washed away in a similar way that locks can be destroyed. This would require water and maybe a rag for a tool.

Animals could also give blood when they're killed. Blood should deteriorate rather fast when left on the ground.
Not-so-sad panda
joo

Postby joo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:05 am

Isn't this a bit too specific? Surely it doesn't take that much more effort to clean blood off a wall than it does to pick up notes and put them in an envelope, then conceal that envelope...
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:32 am

It should take at least an hour.
Not-so-sad panda
joo

Postby joo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:49 pm

I would say that if this were implemented, then graffiti in general could easily be implemented at the same time.

<tangent>
Various materials should thus be usable to create a temporary message - blood, charcoal, chalk (if it exists), resin possibly, etc. I imagine it could be similar to building a landmark, except that the only required resources would be, for example 10 grams of blood or 10 grams of chalk (or maybe even 1 pencil). The message would then just appear on the objects page, and have a button to remove, which would begin the 1 day or so project of removing the object.

I don't believe that would be tremendously difficult to program.
</tangent>

IIRC, this has been suggested before, but not in this context.
amika-babilfrenzo

Postby amika-babilfrenzo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:14 pm

I question how many people actually try to catch their falling blood when they bleed; being forced to by game mechanics is a little weird. With blood coming from animals it makes a little more sense, but that means if a newspawn is quickly killed they won't have a chance to ever get blood. Maybe if catching your own blood was optional?

I like joo's idea of general graffiti.
Kilroy was not here
joo

Postby joo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:28 pm

The blood could fall on the ground, and then the bleeding person could pick some up if they wanted.

That would make murder investigations a bit more interesting as well... people's last movements could be tracked by a trail of blood in different locations.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:05 am

I guess it would make sense if at least some of the blood fell on the ground, but if the murderer always came in and hit the person while they're sleeping, they could clean away the blood before the person wakes up and has time to pick it up. You'd think at least some of it remained on the body of the victim.

And yes, other staining substances could also be used for wall messages, but it would be a separate object for each rather than a project that allows several resources to be substituted.
Not-so-sad panda
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:15 am

Why not take the nethack approach?

You can write in dust for free. But it decays in a few days.
You can etch with a weapon or a tool. But it decays in a week or two.
You can burn with a welder or something. It decays in months or when repaired?
You can paint with a brush and paint. It decays in years.

Other things like pens/etc can also be implemented for this.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:27 am

Agreed Peanut, it's an interesting idea once you look beyond the morbidity of the OP. :D
Chasing Dingoes

Postby Chasing Dingoes » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:13 pm

Eww.

Think if this gets put in to action they will have to put a disclaimer...

This game has levels of gore and unsuitable for young children.

This game has level of gore... could you be the 100th person to faint on your keyboard?

This game had level of tempation for vampires

Point being to some blood could just be a word and an aspect of the game but there are a lot of people screamish and can go pale with just thinking about it. This has the potental to put people off playing.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:11 am

If someone gets faint by seeing the word "blood" then they probably shouldn't be hitting people in a game.
Not-so-sad panda
snm2001

Postby snm2001 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:44 am

I enjoy this idea.. people who are locked in a room and being killed by captors could leave notes for people who may find them.. or for the next people who may get tricked into being locked away.. or last words.. I mean, if I was bleeding all over the place being beaten and stabbed to death day after day.. I would write something in my own blood. I'd be use to seeing it by then.

Lets say you cant use blood unless you have some damage to you too. That way its not like your just pulling it out of no where
Sleepers are soulless... put them out of their misery
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:15 am

I think that would be difficult to program. I don't see why a person couldn't use another person's (or an animal's) blood for writing if only they could reach it.

If some of the blood went on the floor and the rest to the victim's inventory, the attacker could stop to clean up the blood from the floor if they don't want the victim to have too much to write with, this would take them a second longer and might give the victim a moment to hit back if they're online. Or then they just wouldn't care and would clean up the mess afterwards, if at all. It would be nice if blood dried (deteriorated) even while not outside but currently I don't think we have the code for it.
Not-so-sad panda
snm2001

Postby snm2001 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:21 am

maybe like a shorter monument project.. instead of it being a monument made with stone, it would be blood.. then make the time shorter.. then instead of seeing a stone monument with the engraving (or what ever IG term is).. you see you see bloody writing on the wall that says...
Sleepers are soulless... put them out of their misery
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:04 pm

Yes. I think it would be neat if the length (or size) of the text could be customized based on how much blood is available, but fixed lenght would be easier to implement.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Suggestions”