Forum Points

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

buddyhall

Forum Points

Postby buddyhall » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:06 pm

I Think Forum points should be awarded for accepted sugestions and people who answer helpful questions and stuff like that.

Forum points should then be used for anything from a forum rank to more time credits too whatever.
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." einstein
Talapus

Postby Talapus » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:11 pm

Aha! A suggestion I won't reject. I like the concept, but I wonder how painful the implementation and bureaucracy would be.
buddyhall

Postby buddyhall » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:37 pm

Piscator wrote:I volunteer for the Forum Points Distribution Departement. Seriously.

just thought i'd let you guys see that he posted in my other thread that got rejected.
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." einstein
toon

Postby toon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:42 pm

It would make people suggest more things, but it might make people spam about things that arn't needed hoping that it gets accepted.
buddyhall

re

Postby buddyhall » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:12 pm

sorry no forum points for spam :P
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:49 pm

I think I mentioned somewhere that we could have a system similar to Youtube where people can give a comment a thumbs up or a thumbs down. This could be combined with a ranking (or karma) system. Then when people look at a poster's profile, they wouldn't just see the post count, they could also see if this person is talking business or rubbish. But as with all ideas, implementation would be the biggest problem. Not to mention the forums use a template made by outsiders, so I'm not sure to what extent the code can be edited.
Not-so-sad panda
trexdino

Postby trexdino » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:57 pm

Seko, a good idea, except what if someone who hated the game made an account, and then went through the forums, giving everyone thumbs down? I can see that as the only downside.
When you hope for something, you often believe in something. When you believe in something, you often have pride in it. Being proud often leads to a hating of some group.
As you can see, the Jedi are hypocrites.
buddyhall

re

Postby buddyhall » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:10 pm

Ya I like forum points better that way only positive forum posts like good answers to questions or good suggestions.

but i don't like the thumbs down thing, no negative forum points if someones really bad just ban them.
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:31 pm

The forum I go on has a karma system and you can only give thumbs up/down after you've reached a post count of 100.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:51 pm

If there was a minimum post count required, it might lead into people posting loads of crap to raise their post count. But then again, a hundred posts is quite a lot.

If there was a limit of say 10, 20 votes per day then a single voter couldn't damage a person's rating that bad. If they just went blamming random people, it would be unlikely that they would end up rating several posts by any certain poster. And ranking posts by a certain poster could be limited to 3 to 5 votes a day. Besides with the community spirit we got, if some nice person got ranked down by a stalker, I bet others would use their votes to undo the damage.
Not-so-sad panda
Frits

Postby Frits » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:32 am

Really poor idea. In principal it leads to politics and peerpressure resulting in mediocracy. What we want is controversial ideas and creativity, ideas like that don't get recognized on the spot by a majority.
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:02 am

SekoETC wrote:If there was a minimum post count required, it might lead into people posting loads of crap to raise their post count. But then again, a hundred posts is quite a lot.

If there was a limit of say 10, 20 votes per day then a single voter couldn't damage a person's rating that bad. If they just went blamming random people, it would be unlikely that they would end up rating several posts by any certain poster. And ranking posts by a certain poster could be limited to 3 to 5 votes a day. Besides with the community spirit we got, if some nice person got ranked down by a stalker, I bet others would use their votes to undo the damage.

Yeah, we get only one thumbs up/down per day per person.

Edit:
Scratch that, we only get one vote. So... that one vote can either boost or lower someones karma.
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:48 am

I agree with Frits. Bad idea.

I have seen a karma system dramatically fail on some other forum, leading to ganging up, people becoming afraid of being critical and others even willfully pursuing higher negative totals. A karma system will, i think, disturb the free flow of ideas and comments on the forum.

The ability to freely rank each other (or even have a limited group do the ranking) is a social game system, putting social pressure on players/forumers' behaviour, it is the type of system that is meticulously avoided in the Cantr game itself.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:11 am

Frits wrote:Really poor idea. In principal it leads to politics and peerpressure resulting in mediocracy. What we want is controversial ideas and creativity, ideas like that don't get recognized on the spot by a majority.
For troof!

Seko's previous idea for announcing agreement had some merit. The easiest way to do this would be for every suggestion in the forum to be a poll with "agree" , "disagree" and "make changes" (and those changes posted) - that way suggestions can be quickly looked at for a) which generate lots of interest and b) are agreed with

But that's for suggestions only.

The idea for a points or 'thumbs' deal for individual forumites is just plain awful.
'Karma' deals on forums, or anything like that, just work to form cliques and to make everyone conform.

Bleurgh.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Bad idea. Rewarding, once again, quantity over quality, and as stated, those with the most mates get the high points... You Merkins ought to watch the Eurovision song contest some time to see it in action.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”