Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Re: Game changes - discussion about implemented changes.

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:53 am

Heads up everybody. If you have foods that are made of wild animal meat, now they are 149% to 350% eating rates compared to the old rates. This means that if you're on a long trip and were relying on a meat-based diet, in the worst case scenario if you had 7 years of food left, you now have 2 years worth left.
Not-so-sad panda
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:57 am

I noticed. :roll:
I think ...
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:25 am

Why don't we get announcement like we used to? Most have learned old values and use them so I would have liked a heads up about this change...
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:33 am

oh dear, death in the wilderness is imminent then. I'd better sort myself out then.

Been fun making new things though
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:04 pm

They did say they wouldn't announce all the changes, Sherman. Though, yeah, maybe a little, generalised warning about starting to work through wild animal meat dishes would have been nice. Just because some of the amounts for those would be pretty much ingrained in some of our minds. We had a warning in the original announcement about it happening to raw vegetables (which didn't bother me much because my characters only ever ate those by accident!) but I don't remember a specific mention there about meat.

Very grateful that the wiki is being updated during the process though, so just got to get used to them :)
And thanks Seko for the heads up!
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:14 pm

Yeah but this is bigger thing. Some of us have prepaired cooked/grilled meat as easy food for long trips and this change no makes us have trouble. So yes, I would have liked announcement before this came :/ Cause now I feel all my plans will be nothing next day
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Yea, I'm going to agree that is a pretty big change that should have been announced, considering that many people would use it for travel and may have calculated what they needed meticulously. No problem with it being changed (and not affected by it personally this time around), but a lot of people may be left in a lurch, unlike with the vegetables.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:16 pm

Agreed on it should be announced before. I have a char in the middle of nowhere and his final destionation is so far away. He was relying on his cooked and salted meat, now he has to stop and gather new materials for cooking. What's the use of this change?
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:47 am

Genie wrote:Agreed on it should be announced before. I have a char in the middle of nowhere and his final destionation is so far away. He was relying on his cooked and salted meat, now he has to stop and gather new materials for cooking. What's the use of this change?

The idea of all these changes is to stop promoting universally free food. We started with honey, which due to a combination of machine exploits, was completely free for some years leading to huge stores in game. Then, harvested vegetables, which were nearly free for many chars, especially in large cities. Next, we’ve addressed simple meats. These were long overdue for change, especially after animals reseeding and domestication. In many locations in the game, it’s not difficult to get over 4k meat instantly, and some plain meat recipes were generating several dozen meals with a single day’s work. We are adding new foods with some underused ingredients, and trying to provide more interesting options for all chars, in cities and more primitive locations, to make better use of locally gatherable ingredients, instead of universally available ones such as meat and honey.

There really is no way to make such changes completely painless, though they have been designed to be the least disruptive as possible. The only changes made to existing machine recipes were to increase some production yields, in part compensating for the change to eating rates, and in making the fire pit projects of any size. We are also adding some new simple recipes to help extend meat by combining it with other gathered raws. We made two in-game announcements about food changes already, and the wiki is updated as soon as any existing foods are altered.

People have been complaining in this forum about hoarding and stagnation for a long time, and we are attempting to address it, starting with consumable resources. We’re making incremental changes, which we hope will have greater effects over time.
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:29 am

Thank you Sanchez, and the rest of the staff involved, I think these changes are good for the game. Some of my characters have some inconveniences to deal with, but they will adapt. Life throws curve balls sometimes.

We all should have seen this comming. In a world where fresh dung is commonly kept in the same container as food, the rapid spread of tape worms was inevitable.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:31 am

Roasted potatoes should be nerfed. They are currently too powerful. Just adding onion shouldn't make a food almost 50% more efficient. A better eating rate would be like 50 to 55 instead of 33.
Not-so-sad panda
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:42 am

SekoETC wrote:Roasted potatoes should be nerfed. They are currently too powerful. Just adding onion shouldn't make a food almost 50% more efficient. A better eating rate would be like 50 to 55 instead of 33.

I was just thinking to myself fortunately such foods still have a good use. :D Sometimes I wonder am I too thick headed about the food regarding updates and I can't appreciate the changes enough because of laziness or having hermit like life in Cantr without noticing the handicaps caused by the small gaps in the system. Usually I'm not a complaining type.
Edgar Allan Poe
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:30 pm

With an ever dwindling player base I would have thought making it easier for people to starve would not be higher on the list of priorities.
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:56 pm

The argument can be made both ways though. This could make things more interesting. Having to survive in the wild, or perhaps having to trade for food, can add renewed interest!
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:00 pm

None keeps anyone from consuming complex food if they want, but this is making life difficult for the wanderers and people living in the less civilized parts of the world. In rl I could think something like law makers have been paid by the farm owners. :mrgreen:
Edgar Allan Poe

Return to “General Discussion”