is this a CR breach?

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Pie

is this a CR breach?

Postby Pie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:15 am

Alright. This is a big problem for me.

I have 3 caricters on a verry large island. two of them have settled down and the like.

Now, one of these caricters has just fowned out about the sociaty that a differen't carricter of mine lives.

This caricter, if it were real, would really want to go there. IF he does, it would posibally lead my two caricters into each other's presance.

Would it be a CR breach if my caricter were to travel to the place that the other caricter lives?
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:26 am

It's not a CR breach if it doesn't involve OOC information. If your characters act the same as they would if the other character was played by someone else, it's not a CR breach.

But I think you should be concerned more with "should I do this or not." Sometimes it's better to do what you can to keep your characters seperate.

But I'm not in the PD. ;)
Pie

Postby Pie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:04 am

Alrighty then.*grins*
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn

Paranormal Investigation Exorsism

Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison

Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:24 am

Uh, that wasn't a "go ahead" from me. I rather think you should try to avoid it if realistically possible. But, again, I'm not in the PD, nor do I know the specifics of what you're talking about.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:45 am

If this society is just one town, it would be in your best interests to avoid having them come into contact for simplicity's sake. If it is multiple towns, you should be reasonably able to keep them apart.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
notsure

Postby notsure » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:52 am

Maybe the other charrie already there will want to take a long sea voyage or resource run to make room for the new guy.

notsure :?
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:33 am

Hmm Doug, isn't it a CRB to make them avoid each other? But then again what are the chances of your character going to the same town..

From what I heard, it sounded like a -desolate- continent, so does that allow for the CR to stretch a little?
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
cantrlady

Postby cantrlady » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:51 am

Sometimes you have to make sure you the player does not breach so you have your characters do certain things that ensures this. Two characters can be in the same town as long as the interaction is limited - one doesn't work for the other etc...
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:37 pm

N-Aldwitch wrote:Hmm Doug, isn't it a CRB to make them avoid each other? But then again what are the chances of your character going to the same town...

I still think that the answer to this is rarely yes. Unless you have given your character some asinine quirk along the lines of "I must give food to absolutely every character I ever see." then the laws of probabilty are going to inevitably lead to you ignoring certain characters you come across over the course of the game. It is prudent (wise, a good idea) that your own characters land on this ignored character list.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Sho

Postby Sho » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:56 pm

The lesser evil for the greater good.
Cynically speaking, PD is not likely to notice that you moved a character out of the way of another. But they will ask questions if your characters end up working together. While it's true that technically the former is a (completely permissible) CRB and the latter is not, in practice it's less trouble to avoid the issue.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:41 am

Hmm it is but if you're a star RPer then you can handle the situation quite well- putting yourself in different mindsets about who you are will definately help.
'Hello, who are you?'
'Oh hi.. just came from the mountains.. no one around, at last someone!'
'Want to make a colony together?'
'No.. though I'll work for you for a little while if you pay me, and maybe I'll consider it some other time?'

In this situation it'd be just two people in the town- the two characters owned by the one player. Surely there's nothing wrong with that?
I understand though, that there'd be (and is) newer players who won't do that. Hell, last year I did it twice when I started playing.

"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:44 am

Pie's situation is different than a chance meeting. Both of them working to advance the same town or organization is a CRB that would be exceedingly difficult to avoid if he actually set out to find this place where his other character is in order to live there.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:43 am

It *is* difficult. From the above, I've technically breached the CRB in the past, through having my chars act naturally, and try to keep them apart, but sometimes they have to meet, and in sleepy towns, talk to each other... but preferably aloud, rather than whispering.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:54 am

I think we're missing the whole point of the matter.

Pie just revealed a couple of his characters!!

Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:33 pm

tiddy ogg wrote:It *is* difficult. From the above, I've technically breached the CRB in the past, through having my chars act naturally, and try to keep them apart, but sometimes they have to meet, and in sleepy towns, talk to each other... but preferably aloud, rather than whispering.

There is nothing wrong with your characters acting naturally and talking to each other if you have the skill to do that. Where problems arise is when they start cooperating towards the same goals.

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”