You should allow people to invent in Cantr

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Pie

Postby Pie » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:48 pm

well, you have a point there.. but if somone wanted to make, somthinkg.. like a nuke.. and the programmers department have alredy made TNT, then it would be simple. All you would have to do, is make it so this TNT is alot dedlyer, and it is called a nuke.

so that means, right now, i could try and invint a tank, and the programming department could easly make it, but they couldnt make it shoot anything without extra programing.

so, if i wanted to make a tower were i could see farther in the game, i could just suggest it in the suggesting forum, becous it would take extra programing to invint it in the game.

so that means i could invint a katana easly, and the programing department wouldn't have any problem making it, becous it would just be a sabr, with a different name, and resourses to be used.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:27 pm

there is a lot more involved in rbinging a new item into a game than smply adding it - the RD usually reserach everything that goes in - how ti is made, what it requires to make it, what tools, the weights etc. etc. They can't go by the design of one player.

(which is also why we get situations where just because some metallurgy description says we need (whatever the metal is) to make bronze out of, we have to have that as a requirement in Cantr (even though bronze age bronze never used such a catalyst) making the addition of bronze fairly impotent...
:evil: :wink: )
ornithopter

Postby ornithopter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:56 pm

Ahoyhoy wrote:Well the guy who invents an item like a type writer should be able to teach others how to make one.

Yeah, I imagine that'd be done by copying the blueprint like a note, and giving the copy to others. I stupidly forgot to include that, but my point about the potential for a temporary monopoly stands.

hallucinatingfarmer wrote:It would require constant staff attention for them to handout the 'blueprints' or to make new blueprints to be automatically handed out, or the approve new designs etc.
Which just isn't possible - they're stretched enough as it is...

Well, the way to do it, I think, would be to halt the introduction to the game of new things while continuing to program them, and then introduce the new invention system when a large stockpile of inventions have been programmed in.

Pie wrote:if somone wanted to make, somthinkg.. like a nuke.. and the programmers department have alredy made TNT, then it would be simple. All you would have to do, is make it so this TNT is alot dedlyer, and it is called a nuke.

So what you have is a system for introducing varations of existing items. I'd rather the staff spend time on new things than hundreds of cosmetic variations.

And please stop pushing the nuke idea.
"I couldn't afford a bottle of wine," I said, "so I've drawn a picture of one on some cardboard."
Nick

Postby Nick » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:58 pm

Inventing is already possible.
Complain enough in the Suggestions forum, maybe bug a RD or PrD member until it's implemented.
Any system hard coded into the game would have to have regulation anyway, similar to this.
What would a change really change?
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:16 pm

Absolutely correct. The only way to speed things up is to get more programmers and game volunteers. So if you really, really want invention, go volunteer to help out. Don't yell at me for being hypocritical, you will notice I have not been one of the people pushing for invention.
RAM DISK is not an installation procedure!
Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:36 pm

What i'm thinking of is you guys ever play the game Civilization? In the game you can invent new things to raise the tech level of your Civilization. It starts off small and then branches out to a variety of things you can research and you can trade you knowledge with other civilizations. I think that's how it should be in Cantr. With people able to trade ideas for different things with eachother and "teach" newspawns how to make things.
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:46 pm

I personally think that is much too limiting. I do like a single person being able to be able to be able to do one thing and having to teach it to others, but I dislike the tech tree idea.
Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:49 pm

As much as you dislike it Race, which is more real? A person coming into the world knowing how to make a bunch of things or a person whose knowledge is limited.
Nick

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:39 am

In terms of realism, your arguments are futile.

"Work on my 'research coinage' project so our economy improves"

Go play Civilisation then, you'll notice it already exists. I play Cantr, thank you.
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:14 am

I'm going to say this for the 50th time. Cantr is not supposed to be real in every way. It is a game designed to entertain people. As such, it does not need to be exactly like real life, because if cantr was exactly like real life, no one would play cantr would they?
Pie

Postby Pie » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:31 am

ALRIGHT PEOPLE!!

Right now.. we have left wings (People who don't want this in cantr) AND RIGHT WINGS( people who do want this in cantr)

TO THE LEFT WINGS!!!

My idea to JUST create different variations COULD DEFINATLY WORK. Lets say that the programming department makes somthing like.. a gallion (witch... might i add.. we alredy have) And then you wanted to make different varyiations of that Gallion, and then, SOMONE'S IDEA OF A BATTALSHIP IS ACCEPTID. So, he can either

1 sell that blueprint to companys, or

2 make a batalship and RULE THE WORLS!!

and also, if you wanted to create somthing new.. like.. if you wanted to make a king tiger ( a tipe of tank) And ther arn't any tanks to make varyations off of, SUGGEST IT!!!

And two the RIGHT WING PEOPLE!!

If you think this will make no change in cantr, READ MY ABOVE TWO PARAGRAPHS!!
Last edited by Pie on Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pick In Enter

Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:49 am

It won't change cantr, people can just suggest their variations here in the forum. It is better anyway because your method allows people to have more power based on luck of the PD accepting his invention, rather than guile and skill, which is what is required today.
Pie

Postby Pie » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:08 am

WELL!!! I AM SUPRYSED AT YOU!! *Acts offended and suprysed* AND I AM HILY OFENDED!!!

But seriously, i am offended.

How could this not create a change in cantr? Cantr will probably be DRASTICLY CHANGED. SERIOUSLY, spy agensys, trying to get ahold of bluprints, COLD WARS, TRYING TO MAKE THE MANATTON PROJECT BEFORE EVERYONE ELS, AND OF COURSE,NUKES!! Alright, i was kidding with the nukes and the mannaten project (WITCH, are exactly the same.)

And really, if you want to make a nuke, your going to have to suggest TNT on the forums, and THEN you can make a nuke (but of course, the PD is going to have to chek on your invintion first)

Seriously, if you still don't like this idea, than you have to be as stubborn as NICK!!

Pick In Enter

formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:12 am

*goes to look for the tranqs
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Pie

Postby Pie » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:18 am

uuuh, dude.. i spelled tankes tankes there. quote me on were i misspeld tankes and THEN I WILL BELIEV YOU!

back on topic, MY IDEA ROCKS!!

Back OFF topic, GREEN TOMATOE PIE TASTS ALOT LIKE APPLE PIE, EXEPT IT HAS A SERTAN *ZING* TO IT!!!!!!!!

Pick In Enter

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”