Lockable noticeboard

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

EchoMan

Lockable noticeboard

Postby EchoMan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Static (as in non portable) object, much like a landmark, but with the option to write a note on it (just as a normal note), and change the note if you have the key. My vision is a board with an iron grate of sorts, where you can put up a note. Good for town laws and announcements, bad for suicidal newspawn note-thieves.

Something along the lines of:
1000g wood
200g iron (includes lock & key)

Staff only - internal development thread here.
Last edited by Surly on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added staff link to development thread
returner

Re: Lockable noticeboard

Postby returner » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Surely something like this has been suggested before.. if not, pure genius! I fully support this.

Yes - unlike landmarks, this is dynamic and can be changed - what a brilliant idea. Kudos.
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
AlchemicRaker

Postby AlchemicRaker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:23 pm

It would be set to always appear before Notes on the Objects page (So you always see the notices before seeing the notes and other objects/machines)

- Natso
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Well, why shouldn't landmarks not be dynamic? The only difference would be that you would need a brush instead of a key to change the announcement (provided that there is a sufficiently high character limit).
Pretty in pink.
returner

Postby returner » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:53 pm

Piscator wrote:Well, why shouldn't landmarks not be dynamic? The only difference would be that you would need a brush instead of a key to change the announcement (provided that there is a sufficiently high character limit).

One side of me says yes, the other side says no..

No: The permanency of land marks is unique, not much in Cantr is permanent anymore. Notes, if editable, can be erased.. vehicle names, building names.. Hell, names of towns.. but Landmarks stay true, and provide insight into the history of the town. The last bastion of permanency.

The other side of me which says yes: We see buildings and vehicles allowing name changes, so why not landmarks? Some landmarks are quite ugly and have names of previous groups who controlled the area, it should be up to the town to decide whether or not to keep them.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:58 pm

Well, sooner or later landmarks will be destructible, too. Renaming them would save a few steps (that is, tearing the old one down and building a new one).

Also, uneditable notes will very likely stay uneditable, so there you have your bastion of permanency.
Pretty in pink.
returner

Postby returner » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:02 pm

Indeed, but filing them in an envelope labelled as rubish has a similar effect. :wink:

Anyway, I wasn't aware of landmarks eventually being destructible so my arguments are moot. Please ignore and continue on. :mrgreen:
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Original suggestion: I like a lot.

Landmarks: I suggest making them destructible but not modifiable. It's more realistic (painting a mustache on the statue of liberty doesn't not make it the statue of liberty) and it makes them something more than signs.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
AlchemicRaker

Postby AlchemicRaker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Doug R. wrote:Original suggestion: I like a lot.

Landmarks: I suggest making them destructible but not modifiable. It's more realistic (painting a mustache on the statue of liberty doesn't not make it the statue of liberty) and it makes them something more than signs.

Agreed.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Well, then let's have signs... I'm just thinking that using the existing code might be easier than writing something new.
Pretty in pink.
Tincho

Postby Tincho » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:21 pm

Doug R. wrote:(...)
Landmarks: I suggest making them destructible but not modifiable. It's more realistic (...).

Destructible and repairable.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:18 am

Piscator wrote:Also, uneditable notes will very likely stay uneditable, so there you have your bastion of permanency.

Ehh, no. Every other newspawn decides it's a good idea to take off with all notes in town. Nothing permanent whatsoever about it. That's the whole point of this suggestion. Make it so that town laws and notices are semi-permanent.

Personally I dislike the idea that landmarks are going to be changeable. Destructable and repairable maybe.
Surly

Postby Surly » Thu May 20, 2010 7:00 pm

I was thinking of this exact idea in class today (I think alot about Cantr ideas when I am supposed to be studying international reporting standards... :P )

The basic concept is a similar one to lockable containers: is it possible for ProgD to program some kind of "haskey=x" tag that would prevent access to the resource removal/note editing screen in the absence of said key? If it possible, there are several great ideas which could be implemented on the back of it to improve playability.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Miri

Postby Miri » Wed May 26, 2010 11:38 am

I think we've got something called lockable mailbox in Cantr already. How does they work? Like any other containers? If not, maybe we could just redesign them a bit...?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed May 26, 2010 12:26 pm

Jos likes it. Moved to accepted.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”