Instead of Whispering

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

playerslayer666

Postby playerslayer666 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:42 pm

SekoETC wrote:I've created a poll to see how many people are actually against it. Go vote.

http://forum.cantr.org/viewtopic.php?p=363874#363874

i was thinking of doing that myself but figured someone would do it
playerslayer666

Postby playerslayer666 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:52 pm

a sugestion i brought up in the poll topic.....why not just have the poll in game so non forum goers can vote as well?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:56 pm

I don't have the ability to create polls in the game, and I think the last time Doug did that, there was a problem with getting the results out of it. Also none of my characters have overheard a single whisper yet. It's a bit silly to have people vote on a suggestion that doesn't even show up in the game.
Not-so-sad panda
playerslayer666

Postby playerslayer666 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:00 pm

SekoETC wrote: It's a bit silly to have people vote on a suggestion that doesn't even show up in the game.

O.o........

it will show up at some point.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:44 am

I really welcome this new idea and change, personally. Maybe it will deter the town-whisperers a bit, at least if they feel like they might be overheard. Sometimes there are just incredible private chats in some towns, pages and pages of them.

I'm sure the implementation will gradually evolve. For example, could we maybe add a factor that increases the probability to overhear depending on your age?

We all know who always overhears all and everything in real life, right? The grannies sitting on a bench in front of the house.

(Oh, and if the character happens to be female, chances should go up 2X)
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:46 am

Cogliostro wrote:I really welcome this new idea and change, personally. Maybe it will deter the town-whisperers a bit, at least if they feel like they might be overheard. Sometimes there are just incredible private chats in some towns, pages and pages of them.

I'm sure the implementation will gradually evolve. For example, could we maybe add a factor that increases the probability to overhear depending on your age?

We all know who always overhears all and everything in real life, right? The grannies sitting on a bench in front of the house.

(Oh, and if the character happens to be female, chances should go up 2X)

Wrong thread, I think.
And what about blinds? They miss one of their senses so the rest gets better.
- Every person lost in war is two too many.
- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I believe in True Love, do you?
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:55 am

What's even worse is when two "in" people whisper to each other for a few pages, but then person 3 joins. So now 1 and 2 each whisper to 3, and 3 back to them, presumably updating each other on what has happened in their private conversations.

Thanks to them, I now have five pages of this crap to scroll through, picking out the few legitimate player messages that I'm entitled to actually read, not being in that whole inner circle business.

There are major towns where this kind of thing is a daily occurence, not just an occasional fluke. I am really hoping Seko's clever feature will make players like that rethink their whispering practices eventually.
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:23 am

It doesn't really irritate me.
- Every person lost in war is two too many.

- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.

- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

- I believe in True Love, do you?
C4 Dark Saint

Postby C4 Dark Saint » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:30 am

This sounded cool at first... but now its just a complete fail... I can understand if it was like 5% chance of some one hearing.. for one person, but this is just too much
What is a hero in the eyes of today's world?
notsure

Postby notsure » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:37 am

Dang, and for the first time, most my charries are inside! I'm missing out!

notsure :?
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:52 am

We're testing this out. We'll see how it works.

ok well ignoring the fact that the above statement doesn't make sense.....how can you still justify making such a change to the game after it's been that way for so long? now it's just not the same. keep making big changes to the game and you'll have to call the game something different, cause it won't be cantr anymore. it will be......different.

It doesn't matter how long it's been that way. Don't not make changes just because it's change. Think about it this way, even though you should've realized something earlier, now that you've realized it, it's still best to listen to what you've realized. If you're decision changes for whatever reason, and you realize you were wrong, or you find a better way, or obtain a better way, then it's still better to change your decision. You shouldn't not change just to avoid the realization that you were wrong.

I really like Cantr, but it can still improve, and it kind of needs to. At least, it could use some more players (although that's my job :lol:). And Cantr has had a lot of very good implementations. It scares me to think of how difficult it would be for my note collector character if there wasn't a select multiple notes option, although I'm still wishing for a "select all" option so I don't have to click so many times. :roll:

Most every internet games have lots of changes, for a good reason. And I've seen a ton of complaining about changes in a game, without real consideration for the reasons behind the changes. And Cantr has an especially high amount of cooperation between the players and the staff.

SekoETC wrote:Why I personally like this change: If you have to listen to people whispering for hours, it's more interesting if there's even a slight chance of finding out what they're saying.

And that too.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:26 am

Saw an overheard whisper for the first time. The 14th whisper in a town with 9 people.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:17 am

The chance is now per location rather than per person to balance things out for highly populated locations.
Not-so-sad panda
cantrlady

Postby cantrlady » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:19 am

Seko, sorry if this has been asked and answered...will the people whispering know when they have been overheard?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:37 am

No, there's no indication of that. I was writing it but then someone said that hearing is not a visual event and that's true. People are likely to say something if they cared about what they heard, otherwise it's likely to get ignored and people shouldn't worry about it.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”