Better solar stills

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:29 am

Yes, but a well shouldn't even be considered in this equation. We know that the solar stills are not supposed to be even close to a well.

Right now the automatic solar still water project collects like 75% what you can collect manually with a water skin. I think that is very reasonable.

People keep trying to compare the gathering rates of the solar still to the gathering rates of land machines. The fact is, it isn't supposed to be close. Being able to gather water and salt while in boat and being anywhere in the Cantr road is the benefit, not the amount you gather.
Every action has a consequence.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:41 am

Sure thing. Size does not matter, it's the RP, etc. etc. :D :D

Let's get real though, the only reason both machined land projects and machined boat projects exist is so that people can gather the resources they need for some future use they have in mind.

It becomes solely a question of how long you must wait, as a player, until something useful comes out of your investment into solar stills or working by hand with the skin, or at the well. In other words, it just doesn't matter to me as the character/player that using a teaspoon the gathering rate is 0.2g per day. Whoever gathers water with skins in Cantr anyway? It's surely an act of desperation if you are.

So certainly, you're right that the well is the upper maximum and I shouldn't have been using it, but I'm right because that upper maximum seems to me ridiculously conservative/small itself.

This water gathering we have now feels a tad like it could be very iron-rich water. If you know what I mean, i.e. raw iron could almost be substituted for the water and still stay fairly reasonable like that and not kill the game balance :D

These latest changes were very good, but I say maybe in time we should gradually get back to it to look at the gathering rates of water with the skins again, and then change that upwards and simultaneously allow up to 4 stills instead of only one.
Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:10 am

The idea behind the water gathering on the boat was so it could be used in the windowbox to grow herbs. That is about the only thing you can use water for on a ship. Each of those projects take between 12-20 grams of water per day, so 15 mad perfect sense.

If you were wanting to use water for anything else you would have to be on land to use it anyways, so you could just gather it from the land with the normal rates.

That is why water is at 15 grams per day.
Every action has a consequence.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”