I want editable notes to disappear after erasing content.

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

joo

Postby joo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:00 am

However it takes much longer to write notes. It can take hours, days, weeks to make complete encyclopedias, maps and diaries, and a lot of thought can go into official notices or love letters...

Edit: Of course, I am in favour of making notes destroyable. However it should be a project, similar to keys. You don't want a newspawn to be able to pick up every single note in a town and within a few seconds destroy them all.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:10 am

I agree with Seko that no special note burning project should be necessary. They come into existance with a snap of your fingers and they should go as easily.

I strongly advise though that only editable notes should be deletable. That way the important history would be save.
Last edited by Piscator on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:10 am

Maybe the button for deleting a note could be in the bottom of the reading screen so that you would be forced to scroll down the text and couldn't avoid reading glimpses of it? And people can keep copies stored outside the game if they're worried of losing stuff after their characters die.
Not-so-sad panda
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:11 am

I think deleting editable notes if their content is erased is a good way of going about it.

But only for notes created after the change... There's a lot of history in note form that might otherwise be lost...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
joo

Postby joo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:12 am

Piscator wrote:I agree with Seko that no special note burning project should be necessary. The come into existance with a snap of your fingers and they should go as easily. I strongly advise though that only editable notes should be deletable. That way the important history would be save.

Perhaps locked notes should require a lengthy project to destroy, while unlocked notes could be instantly deleted.
Marian

Postby Marian » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:59 am

How about a compromise? Notes you pick up somewhere should require a project to destroy, but the ones you make yourself should be instantly deletable.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:15 am

No built-in ownership in Cantr. The game doesn't know who originally created a note. I still suggest that deletion should be instant but causing tiredness.
Not-so-sad panda
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:22 am

Causing tiredness might be alright.

As long as it has some kind of drawback, since you just don't want some jackass who's pissed off at PD or someone's char to have too easy a time literally destroying everything.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:29 am

DylPickle wrote:As long as it has some kind of drawback, since you just don't want some jackass who's pissed off at PD or someone's char to have too easy a time literally destroying everything.

SekoETC wrote:No built-in ownership in Cantr. The game doesn't know who originally created a note. I still suggest that deletion should be instant but causing tiredness.

Think about it Seko! You have an extra bit of noise to add to your 'prick' suicidal newspawn. On top of, "Hello I'm a prick etc etc etc." You get..

You see Prick destroying maps and town laws and so many other things go POOF!

Yes, I KNOW some change town laws as it is but... hmm...
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:34 am

Think about it. Editable notes are as good as destroyable already. You just have to delete them and they're worthless. Removing them completely is only a little step further.
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:36 am

They can already destroy them by erasing them and leaving blank notes behind. I have never made town laws permanent because usually something eventually comes up that requires changing them and if there were uneditable notes floating around, it might get unclear which one of them is the most recent version that's up to date. Town leaders should keep copies of important documents anyway, it has been shown too many times how destructive a note thief can be if there are no copies available.
Not-so-sad panda
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:40 am

Actually, EVERYONE who lives at a location should have a copy of the towns laws and other relevant documents.

Yeah, my argument was moot. Sorry for wasting time and energy. Not 100% with just making the notes go POOF but at the same time I'm not 100% on making... OOOOH!

Used notes FOR FUEL... no that wouldn't work. :lol: Just ignore that one.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:44 am

Dudel wrote:Used notes FOR FUEL... no that wouldn't work. :lol: Just ignore that one.

I suggested that already. :lol:
Pretty in pink.
ceselb

Postby ceselb » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:57 am

SekoETC wrote:it might get unclear which one of them is the most recent version that's up to date.

This is why you date everything in the title. I'm so sick of thinking that random notes in an otherwise well cleaned town are new(ish) to then find out they're 1000 days old and the person offering services or whatever is long dead.
"I'll start with who, what, where, and when, followed by whither, whether, wherefore and whence, and follow that up with a big side-order of 'why'." -- Zaphod Beeblebrox
Lumino

Postby Lumino » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:26 am

As I said in the other thread about this, it doesn't make sense to force burning of notes. If they come from thin air, they should go back into thin air.

I think they were intentionally separated from the "physical" system of Cantr to make sure that anyone and everyone could use language, one of the critical parts of the game.

IMO, there should just be one more green button next to every note, a little "X" that deletes the note.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”