What is visible through a window?

Forum for general requests for support for players. Both staff members and veteran players can help new players with problems they encounter. No chatting in this forum, please.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

*Wiro

What is visible through a window?

Postby *Wiro » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:17 pm

When is passing items from one location to another visible?

These I don't know:
1. From inside through window to outside
2. From outside through window to inside
3. From inside through window to inside
These I know:
4. From inside to inside (visible to all inside, not outside)
5. From outside to outside (visible to all outside, not inside)

And what about breaking locks, is it visible outside when a lock is being broken inside? Or when a vehicle is broken into outside, and your character is inside?

Edit: to clarify, I mean the initial action. I know the project of breaking a lock can be seen when looking at the character.

Thanks!
Read about my characters by following this link.
Doug R.

Re: What is visible through a window?

Postby Doug R. » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:26 pm

Any time you pass something from one location to another, be it through a window, into/off of a vehicle or ship, it's always invisible.

Lock break initiation is only heard in the location with the lock.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Really? Maybe I imagined that sometimes the object-passing was invisible. I thought that maybe it was only shown from either the giver or the receiver.

I could've sworn sometimes I've seen people be like "here, have this" and my character heard that, but they never saw the actual "char X gives char Y an item" event.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Yeah, sometimes people rp the giving event so it doesn't seem weird.

The giver and receiver always see the event, though. Just not the bystanders.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:49 pm

That's what I meant with my post, when is it visible to bystanders? Do they never see it, only next to the giver, or only next to the receiver?
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:52 pm

I always thought it was 100% determined by the bystander's location relative to the passer, regardless of the receiver's location: if you're in the same place you can see it.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:52 pm

ObsessedWithCats wrote:I always thought it was 100% determined by the bystander's location relative to the passer, regardless of the receiver's location: if you're in the same place you can see it.

This is correct in my experience. Those around the giver can see it, those not around the giver can not.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:14 pm

So as a general rule, you will see it if the giver is in the same location as you. It doesn't matter whether the receiver is next to you, on a vehicle, behind a window, outside. The only exception is when you are the receiver.

Thanks for clearing that up guys. This is important info for conspiracies. Countering them, I mean. :roll:
hyrle

Postby hyrle » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:15 am

Precision of language! Oh... wait.... that's "The Giver"... not Cantr windows. :D

In any case, yes - that matches my experience as well. Also, talking can be heard on either side of a window, but not "two deep". Someone talking on a ship docked to a windowed harbor can be heard by someone standing in the harbor, but not heard by the town.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:41 pm

I guess their experience is different from mine. I hope that doesn't get one of our character's killed at some point. Anyway, good luck!
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:21 pm

So uh for scientific reasons, is it visible when you take stuff off a corpse?
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:55 pm

Hell yes.

Corpse stealing can be seen from inside one building, by another who is inside a different building - as long as both buildings have windows. Basically, if you can see a living person, they can see you taking stuff from a body.

Some would probably say it shouldn't be possible, I say it should as the reason I know the above is because one of mine 'saw' someone taking stuff off a deceased person and then that person was wearing the items. Had I not had the notification on the events page, I wouldn't have looked at the other character's description page thing and noticed them wearing the items that my character was able to realise belonged to the deceased person they knew. My character would have effectively been blind to the change of outfit as it had not otherwise been roleplayed. My character got to be miffed at the other person and tell them how horribly disrespectful they were :lol:

Return to “General Support”