Subduing characters

Out-of-character discussion forum for players of Cantr II to discuss new ideas for the development of the Cantr II game.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Rusalka

Re: Subduing characters

Postby Rusalka » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Snickiedoo wrote:So basically it would speed up the healing process, especially for characters who can't do anything themselves? If a character with 0% health is bandaged, and then somebody moves in for the kill, would the bandaged character die or live?

Yes, I know you said that bandages aren't for healing; I'm still trying to make sense of this.

I meant, that bandaged char "wakes up" and can pickup his things and heal himself. It doesn't affect his health at all, well maybe change 0% to 1%. Then he would have to be attacked twice to be killed permanently I guess.

Piscator wrote:I'd support the first one as it wouldn't require a mechanic to heal others and also would make perfect sense in association with natural healing...

Wouldn't we need some optional way to wake up a char faster? Anyway If we had a code to make characters stunned, and waking up after 2 days, I don't believe is a big effort to add an optional project etc. to speed up a process. The main thing is some tough work, am I right?

Piscator wrote:... whose reintroduction has been in the accepted bin for quite a while now if I remember correctly.

Can You name the topic?
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6350&start=105

The main problem was that we couldn't agree on how to do it.

I think you are right about needing a way to speed up the process. The easiest way would probably be to simply pass healing food to an incapacitated character who would consume it automatically. (Could be manually, too, but you shouldn't be able to pass anything but healing food.) To avoid that 1g of onions would be enough to revive a immobilized char, it would be ideal if negative hit points would be saved and were required to be healed before the char is restored.

On second thought, it might actually be better if chars wouldn't wake up by themselves as this would complicate suicides. Then again, we might set up the rule that a strike against yourself also counts as a killing blow.
Pretty in pink.
Rumaan

Postby Rumaan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Dropping stuff when stunned is not good. It would only make it easier for small bands to kill towns. Example, two or three people with average or below average weapons walk into a town, wait for the right moment and stun the town leader. The town leader drops lots of keys, and the bandits drag the town leader and others inside buildings and slowly kill off the town. Seko's pickpocketing suggestion is better.

Auto-recovering in a few hours is good. Alternatively, a char recovers immediately if sufficient healing food is GIVEN to him/her by another. The healing food already in the inventory of the char should have no effect.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:35 pm

I don't agree with you, Rumann. Yes, that scenario could happen, but the majority of (non-Yugo) raids are for loot. The "town" is the people in it. It's a much better scenario to have your town leader incapacitated and robbed, and your town looted, than for your town leader to be killed and your town looted. In fact, incapacitation could encourage even more looting, and I'm all for looting. Towns have too much stuff. The best thing to happen to a typical town would be for the leader to be robbed, the town locked up in a building, and the town systematically looted of supplies and even machinery. It would be the "reset" everyone wants, but on a local scale.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:48 pm

It depends on how stunning happens. If we have a separate stun bar, stunning might indeed become easier than killing and you have a point. If "stunning" only occured when the hit points drop to 0, it would be exactly as difficult to get a town's keys as it is now.
Pretty in pink.
Rumaan

Postby Rumaan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:35 am

Ok, I don't think I read the original suggestion too well. The second option seems worth trying.
Abe

Postby Abe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:59 am

I think that stun should simply depend on damage then, i.e. the more wounded you are, the more likely you are to pass out.
You can pass out not only from getting hit in the head, but bleeding, shock, etc.
If characters would be able to knock down people easily with clubs and such, newspawns coming out of "free" buildings with bone clubs would become REALLY annoying.
Rumaan

Postby Rumaan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:33 pm

I think stunned characters shouldn't record events. Exceptions to this could be events like being hungry, being dragged, being hit and such. I think it is realistic and also would be a very interesting game dynamic.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:39 am

Rumaan wrote:I think stunned characters shouldn't record events.

Interesting. I agree.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:11 am

Doug R. wrote:
Rumaan wrote:I think stunned characters shouldn't record events.

Interesting. I agree.

Perhaps the recording of events while stunned should be of the same probability as overhearing a whisper when not stunned. The stunned also should not be able to record who said what. With no context whatsoever, the stunned character, when coming out of their stunned state, could roleplay hearing voices or something like that. It would make interesting roleplay opportunities.

Like, for example, in the fictitious town of Tajami, Char A (Bob) is stunned by Char B (Joe) who is the town rebel. Char B is thrown into jail by Char C (Larry), and a discussion follows afterwards between Char C and Char D (Chris), who is much younger than Char C. From Larry's perspective it could look like this:

3049-5.27: Chris says: "Larry was telling me about George."
3049-5.26: Bob says: "I heard somebody say something about being sleepy."
3049-5.26: Bob says: "*rubs head head* Ow...what happened?"
3049-5.23: You say: "Hello there, sleepyhead."
3049-5.22: You see Bob is no longer stunned.
3049-5.22: You give 300 grams of grapes to Bob.
3049-5.17: Project "Farming to get grapes" has been completed (300g, ending up in the inventory of Larry).
3049-5.15 You say: "As soon as I am finished farming these grapes."
3049-5.14: Chris says: "*he looks over at Bob* When is he going to be awake again?"
3049-5.11: You say: "I'm thinking the death penalty will be sufficient in this case. *nods solemnly*"
3049-5.09: Chris says: "That's horrible!"
3049-5.09: You say: "He eventually died of the sleeping sickness."
3049-5.08: You say: "He went sleepy after that. I think it hit his head really hard."
3049-5.07: Chris says: "Whoa. What happened after that?"
3049-5.07: You say: "It happened before you spawned. Joe was a newspawn at the time, and he stole a sabre and clobbered George with it."
3049-5.05: Chris says: "What happened to George that was so terrible?"
3049-5.02: You say: "I don't know. Perhaps we'll kill him this time, especially after what happened to George."
3049-4.31: Chris says: "*he sighs and shakes his head* What are we going to do about him?"
3049-4.29: You see Joe being dragged from the central area of Tajami into Tajami Prison (Larry).
3049-4.28: Joe says: "So? What are you going to do about it?"
3049-4.28: You say: "Joe, that is completely unacceptable behaviour."
3049-4.27: You see Joe skillfully hurt and stun Bob with a new steel battle axe.

Meanwhile Bob's perspective could be something like this:
3049-5.27: Chris says: "Larry was telling me about George."
3049-5.26: You say: "I heard someone say something about being sleepy."
3049-5.26: You say: "*rubs his head* Ow...what happened?"
3049-5.23: Larry says: "Hello there, sleepyhead."
3049-5.22: You are no longer stunned.
3049-5.22: You are given 300g of grapes, which you consume immediately.
3049-5.08: You hear someone say: "He went sleepy after that. I think it hit his head really hard."
3049-4.27: You are stunned.
3049-4.27: Joe skillfully hurts you for 41 damage using a new steel battle axe. Your shield was ineffective against the blow.

In this case, the bolded text is the little bit he managed to hear despite being stunned, but Bob doesn't know who said it or in what context until the other characters tell him.

It's just a thought. And I may have gotten a little creative with the scenario, as well as a bit unimaginative about how exactly Bob would be revived from his stunned state.
Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:11 am

I like the no-log idea. I think it should be all-or-nothing. You hear and see nothing until you wake up, though there may be some randomness in how soon that happens. If you want to RP being groggy and out of it for a while, that would be good.
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:15 am

I like this very much - it gives a lot of new options for a gameplay. Somebody can be taken somewhere else, without recording the way, he can't also be a witness of particular events.

I was even thinking about loosing memory - probably few minutes before the strike. So char won't recall who hit him. One way to do this is just a message that "you are stunned" without dynamic name of a char who did that. Second way is to just delete last 10 minutes of events and everything he named during that time.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Naming doesn't have timestamps (currently).
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:47 pm

That's what I was afraid of.

That's actually another suggestionm to add, cause it has another use.
Miri

Postby Miri » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:54 pm

I like the idea, although being 'revived' by being given some healing food seems a bit strange to me.
How about introducing a new item: first-aid kit/bandages for example - that would:
- be an usable holdable item (like instruments or dice)
- can be used by (non-stuned) character (new icon, maybe a medical cross?). When used, there is a list as when passing, but only of stuned characters in the location, so it can be used only on characters with 0%.
- using it causes 0% change into 1%

Return to “Suggestions”