Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Re: Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

Postby Genie » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:27 pm

After death of a certain young character all my chars started to dislike nut brittle. I guess I need time to get rid of this feeling, but it's little sad because it was like special dish of one.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:18 pm

Something that really puzzles me sometimes, is the skill used for some projects. I make a decision to have a character work on something, thinking that they'll be really good at it and get it done in no time. So I set them to work and go to bed. Then when I wake up I start wondering why there doesn't seem to be as much progress made, only to look and find my character is actually just a novice or awkward! :roll:

A previous one that has caught me out was installing engines taking the generalised manufacturing instead of vehicle manufacturing. But that does at least still make sense.

But for some reason, a wood display case is either:
Drilling
Smelting
Fishing
Manufacturing vehicles
Manufacturing machines

None of which is what it is listed as on the wiki (building)... I was personally expecting it to be carpentry, don't know about anyone else? :lol:
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:00 pm

A lot of the newer items had inconsistent skills assigned to them. The drinking glass and other glass items used a different skill than glass bottles for a while. Glass bottles were eventually changed to match the newer items (they all use the refining skill now, which seems like an odd choice to me)
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:24 pm

I am expert at fishing wood display cases! Don't you stare stop me from fishing them
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:47 pm

I've come across some like that. There was no skill in sewing a fur rug (had a char making one), but the wiki said it took carpentry (I was like, "wtf, should be tailoring"). I fixed it in the wiki to none. Not long after, it had been fixed in game to tailoring, as well as in the wiki. Alas, my expert tailor was done with theirs at that point.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:46 pm

If you come across skills that don't make sense, please pm me. We can fix these.
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:45 pm

I am still trying to figure out why jewelry making is considered sewing..... as someone who can and does do both IRL this makes absolutely no sense. the two things are NOTHING alike.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:52 pm

What else could it be out of the skills we have?
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:01 pm

It seems to fit to me, since we do not have a jewelry making skill, and I have done both IRL. Clothing and jewelry have long been linked together; you have your fancy clothes and then you accessorize. I think many people that are good at either thing tend to have an aptitude for the other on some level, even if it might be more on a design, rather than implementation, level. Putting it under anything else would fit worse.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:21 pm

Not all of the dice use the same skill. Most use manufacturing but some use carpentry I think. I suppose it makes sense that you crave some like the ivory die while ones using metal would require manufacturing. It's just surprising when you're making sets and then suddenly you're much less skilled at it than you were the last item you made.

Personally I'm less concerned with skills matching some expectation to real life than I am that they are consistent when making similar items.
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:16 am

While I agree that some jewelry making is somewhat similar to sewing (such as making a bead bracelet) making a diamond ring would not even be close, melting the gold and casting the ring, not to mention the lapidary work to facet the diamond or any other stone for that matter.
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:58 am

I would say maybe manufacturing, for the jewelry, because as the last poster said for more complex peices you actually have melt the gold/silvers/ set the diamonds. Too bad there isn't an artistry skill. It would be great under that.
Nikarus

Postby Nikarus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:35 pm

As a person who has spent quit ea bit of time working at and around farms. I'm generally miffed by the fact that drying grass to make hay is a full time job, and there's absolutely no way to speed it up. Puts a severe level of restriction on significantly small towns.

Why can't you use a rake or dung fork to speed up the process?
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:49 pm

Nikarus wrote:As a person who has spent quit ea bit of time working at and around farms. I'm generally miffed by the fact that drying grass to make hay is a full time job, and there's absolutely no way to speed it up. Puts a severe level of restriction on significantly small towns.

It seems like it should be an automated process to me.
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Black Canyon wrote:
Nikarus wrote:As a person who has spent quit ea bit of time working at and around farms. I'm generally miffed by the fact that drying grass to make hay is a full time job, and there's absolutely no way to speed it up. Puts a severe level of restriction on significantly small towns.

It seems like it should be an automated process to me.

It shouldn't be fully automated...automated with manual assistance - like with meat jerky.

Return to “General Discussion”