Building Destruction

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

EchoMan

Re: Building Destruction

Postby EchoMan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:18 pm

curious wrote:Will there be some way to stop the process easily, once begun? (I would also be fearful of mischief)
Whilst I don't imagine that a building with even a small percentage damage to it would be attractive or even usable, there may be some ability to halt and repair?

I like the idea of maybe having more run down looking town though.

Project cancellation was recently introduced, and works for disassembly projects too.

Cogliostro wrote:Dear comittee. What is the Point, from a player's perspective, of being able to tear down some buildings at a great expense of time?

Nothing to opine against the feature, just wondering if it's the most efficient way to use scarce programming resources, to focus on an evidently pointless thing.

Programming resources are not that scarce at the moment. You might have noticed one or two changes in the game recently? ;)

Also, several questions about what the reson for this. Doug already stated that a long term goal of the development of the game is that nothing should be peramnent (except maybe the islands and seas of the world).
masterekat

Postby masterekat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51 pm

No! I want island destruction next! :evil:
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:08 pm

Sounds legit.
Misato

Postby Misato » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:52 am

masterekat wrote:No! I want island destruction next! :evil:

I like it. I know the first island I would go after. :twisted: Hehehe...
ImageImage
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:06 am

Please stay on topic.
Taralyn

Postby Taralyn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:22 am

I also think it needs to be set up in a way that discourages vandals and theifs, make it take a long time, yield little resources and you should be able to cancel the project. The whole idea does make me a little nervous.
Naranjita

Postby Naranjita » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:29 am

Taralyn wrote:I also think it needs to be set up in a way that discourages vandals and theifs, make it take a long time, yield little resources and you should be able to cancel the project. The whole idea does make me a little nervous.

+1

Maybe I'm weird, but I like -or my chars like- cantrian History, and sometimes -or in someplaces- only buildings talk about the past. I fear they can be destroyed only as an easy way to obtain resources. Specially in low populated islands. I think that it should yield little or none resources.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"
danizappa

Postby danizappa » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:08 pm

Naranjita, I understand you quite well, but most of the time (at least in the Portuguese Language Zone) buildings don't tell that much of a story, as the way and reason the get created is usully quite shallow and empty of meaning/history.

Things that are worth being conserved should arouse that feeling among players.
curious

Postby curious » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:09 pm

Perhaps a way around (at least cut down) random vandalism would be to make only a key holder be able to start to demolish... something like that?
Misato

Postby Misato » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:16 pm

curious wrote:Perhaps a way around (at least cut down) random vandalism would be to make only a key holder be able to start to demolish... something like that?

+1
ImageImage
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:27 pm

curious wrote:Perhaps a way around (at least cut down) random vandalism would be to make only a key holder be able to start to demolish... something like that?

What about abandoned towns, though? Like, ones that have been abandoned for 1000+ years, and the keys are lost forever? And then there are buildings that don't have locks to begin with...

What if there was a 1 or 2 -day event that was like "Preparing to demolish bluh bluh building"? Then people would get a heads-up that someone was going to destroy it. Also, it's more realistic (yes cantr isn't real life bluh shoot me). People don't just start tearing down a building. They have to prepare their machinery and whatnot.

Sidenote - Maybe they need certain tools to teardown? Screwdriver, sledgehammer, etc.
Misato

Postby Misato » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:12 am

NostalgicMelody7 wrote:

What about abandoned towns, though? Like, ones that have been abandoned for 1000+ years, and the keys are lost forever? And then there are buildings that don't have locks to begin with...

What if there was a 1 or 2 -day event that was like "Preparing to demolish bluh bluh building"? Then people would get a heads-up that someone was going to destroy it. Also, it's more realistic (yes cantr isn't real life bluh shoot me). People don't just start tearing down a building. They have to prepare their machinery and whatnot.

Sidenote - Maybe they need certain tools to teardown? Screwdriver, sledgehammer, etc.

Wrecking ball. :lol: Maybe...if only a key holder can start demolition, a building with no lock could be demolished by anyone. So for those 1000+ year old buildings, just destroy the locks first (if any). I like the 2-day event warning before demolition starts, too, so... +1 again. :)
ImageImage
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:34 am

It's been suggested that crowbars and possibly sledgehammers are required to tear down buildings. The issue of having the key is somewhat irrelevant since someone with a crowbar could just break the lock. I think the best way to make this idea undesirable for random "vandalism" or theft is to make the resources returned minimal and give it a long enough project time that a structure wouldn't be torn down in just a few days.

I agree that history is nice, but consider that most of the time frames that have been discussed in this thread for destroying a building are 20+ days while changing its sign (and thus, "losing history") only takes 1-2 days...
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:43 am

I think however this is implemented, it should be made very difficult. I can already see lots of cantrian history going down in a pile of rubble with this. Discouraging vandals or people who simply don't want to work for their stone and wood would be the way to go. It should take a very long time to fully demolish a building, and it should yield very little resources. Somebody should have to really hate the building to go through the trouble of destroying it, for the lazy opportunist or troublemaker, it shouldn't be worth their time.
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:20 pm

I
Misato wrote:Wrecking ball.

I actually like this idea. It would discourage people from completely destroying a town's history because of the sheer cost of the wrecking ball. Days of work to build it, tons of metal. But, I guess it would be annoying to have a wrecking ball just sitting around.

Return to “General Discussion”