Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

cutecuddlydirewolf

Re: Things that annoy or puzzle you about Cantr

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:39 pm

Not a big fan of players using opinions in the form of emotes, so the other player can't respond to them. i.e. "He sighs at the immature newspawn", or "she shakes her head at the woman's overdramatic behavior".
ToxikCoffee

Postby ToxikCoffee » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:22 pm

cutecuddlydirewolf wrote:Not a big fan of players using opinions in the form of emotes, so the other player can't respond to them. i.e. "He sighs at the immature newspawn", or "she shakes her head at the woman's overdramatic behavior".

Same, it really annoys me! :roll:
"My most traumatizing moment was being stuck in a cage without ice cream. Also I eat my hamburgers like I eat my hockey pucks."
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:28 pm

I don't see how that stops you responding? If a newspawn is being immature, or a woman behaving overdramatically, it seems to me like they'd both be quite ready to jump on someone sighing or shaking their head, whether or not it's obviously because of them? :|
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:25 pm

Snowdrop wrote:I don't see how that stops you responding? If a newspawn is being immature, or a woman behaving overdramatically, it seems to me like they'd both be quite ready to jump on someone sighing or shaking their head, whether or not it's obviously because of them? :|

The sighing and head-shaking is fine. I'm talking about the usage of negative adjectives in emotes, specifically. It's expressing internal thoughts as an emote at best, and one player jabbing another at the worst.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:37 am

You can still reply to them in emotes. It's all about the meta, ie:

*He sighs at the sight of the silly, overly dramatic young woman trying to make a knife.*

*She VERY DRAMATICALLY continues to make the knife, oblivious to the nattering sighs of that opinionated derp over there.*
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 am

This is just something I'm curious about. One of the tips says, "Did you know that...only about 10% of the animals are in inhabited locations?" Does this mean that there are, or might be, some kinds of animals that have not been encountered by Cantrians yet?
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:44 am

PaintedbyRoses wrote:Does this mean that there are, or might be, some kinds of animals that have not been encountered by Cantrians yet?

Yes. The list of animals is quite long.

Wolfsong wrote:You can still reply to them in emotes. It's all about the meta, ie:

*He sighs at the sight of the silly, overly dramatic young woman trying to make a knife.*

*She VERY DRAMATICALLY continues to make the knife, oblivious to the nattering sighs of that opinionated derp over there.*

The first telepathy doesn't really justify the second, though. In Cantr, roleplay etiquete is for emotes to be written "as though being viewed by an unbiased stranger" (from Custom Descriptions Guidelines). By the way, we updated this page with Capital Rule policies (still working on translations): https://cantr.net/index.php?page=rules
This is something I didn't think to include in the new Capital Rule examples, and perhaps an explanation should be added, though it's a grey area, not something we would restrict, unless taken to the extreme.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:58 am

I'm not sure I'd call that "telepathy" exactly... More like... Hm. It's definitely bias, I suppose, but not necessarily always power gaming? It's meta - like using a real world analogy for something in character, but not directly referenced by the character (more about the character, instead.)

Like... *So and so shot out of the building like a bullet from a gun.* -- Guns don't exist in Cantr, but a gun isn't being referenced in character. It's being used to describe out of a character a character's action. Toeing the line, though.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:43 am

Wolfsong wrote:Like... *So and so shot out of the building like a bullet from a gun.*

That's much better, because it's clear that that description is only for the player's understanding.
Whereas, "silly, overly dramatic young woman" makes it hard to separate the player from the character, because of course from then on the player who reads that is going to see the other character as judgemental towards their character, and sometimes such descriptions may imply that other characters should be aware of such information, when they shouldn't.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:24 am

Using "silly, overly dramatic young woman" or "that opinionated derp" is not a metaphor like "shooting out of a building like a bullet from a gun." They're either explicitly stating a player's opinion/thoughts or explicitly stating a character's opinion/thoughts through emotes. If the character said either of those things or muttered the phrases under their breath, that would be different.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:13 pm

people in real life: *commit suicide she they're literally innsonmuch pain and anguish they can't keep living*
People in cantr: *commit suicide because they're freaking bored or it's been quiet for two days*

Seriously THE most annoying part of cantr, my character invests time in you and you get bored one day and kill yourself, that is LAME and makes it impossible to play this game with any consistency, if you really hate it so much, role play a reason for your char to be suicidal, how is mine supposed to react realistically to this utter BS?
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:58 am

Impatience.

Something that I have found to be increasinglly exasperating is that it seems there's been a huge influx of impatient characters recently (and it feels like it could be the players of such characters too). Not just in them only allowing a mere few in-game minutes (less than a real life hour) for a response in general, but if you happen to be active at the same time as them, then they have a habit of spouting out several bits of dialog/RP, barely giving you a chance to respond inbetween, despite being around to do so. It's like they expect responses to them to be pre-empted and therefore simply copy/pasted in :roll:

Not every player can be online constantly, especially those that have been playing for real years - people grow up and get bogged down in real life with more responsibilities that need to come before a game! I just wish there was a better understanding with these people that in the game, things happen in 3-hour blocks, there's no need to rush the RP. If you want your character to throw a tantrum, rant and then storm off, fine, but don't do it by spamming the feed and then leaving down a road within a few real life minutes! It certainly doesn't entice me, or my characters, to follow and give you any more attention - it's very much a 'good riddence' feeling that follows, while the impatient one gets to enjoy that near 3 hours of silence on the road :P

What makes it all so much worse though, is that it's not happening to the characters of mine that would be happy to react with a swift slap to the guilty party's face - which I, the player, really have to resist doing on the characters it doesn't fit for :evil: Actually, one of mine could even be tempted to use something sharper for the slap... *whistles* Spawn in their town next time, purlease! :lol:
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:08 pm

As someone who usually plays in little spurts between appointments at work, parenting after work, and studying at night, here here!

In cantr time, it's normal to get a response in-game hours later, during the flow of a conversation. I imagine these "impatient" characters as the equivalent of some coked out caffeine addict with some kind of paranoia issues.

That said, it can be very fun to have a real time exchange.
alecto

Postby alecto » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:04 am

An interesting attitude above, as I'm finding quite the opposite...

Cantr can absolutely be played at a fast pace, if the player so chooses. Combat, roleplaying, sailing, fast vehicles - all these can make for a reasonably fast-paced story.

At the moment I've got 15 characters in the green world, and it's quite a mixed bag of locations. A few are very active, most are... completely dead (by which I mean only one person has moved in an in-game year, not just "3 hours of silence" :lol:)

I'm definitely having more fun with the active locations. Of course some people prefer a slower play style and that's perfectly valid, but (apart from the house rules) there's no 'right' way to play Cantr. Personally, I think a character throwing a tantrum and going off in a huff is a great way to leave a boring town (provided it's in character).

Snowdrop wrote:What makes it all so much worse though, is that it's not happening to the characters of mine that would be happy to react with a swift slap to the guilty party's face - which I, the player, really have to resist doing on the characters it doesn't fit for :evil: Actually, one of mine could even be tempted to use something sharper for the slap... *whistles* Spawn in their town next time, purlease! :lol:

Implying that you'd like to kill a player's character because you, the player, don't like the pace they want to play, seems like poor form. I suggest enabling them (in-character) to leave faster, or checking the box that says "Opt out from spawning system".
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:00 pm

I didn't say anything about killing anyone, did I? :roll: No-one can one hit kill in Cantr (even if there are some characters that would like to believe they could - naming no names, but one character in particular very much comes to mind :lol: ).

As for the rest, I feel like you may have missed the point I was making.

Return to “General Discussion”