Other games similar to CANTR?

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Re: Other games similar to CANTR?

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:27 am

This goes to show how valuable Jos' effort was. I don't know how he did it, but he did. I've looked at a Cantr map and thought "wow, how could someone create this"?
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Game_Background
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Jason W.

Postby Jason W. » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Rebma19 wrote:You mean "Wow, there's an offer we've all heard a million times with absolutely no follow through in the end"?

I can imagine how many times this has been offered. I've been doing a lot of work on developing a game over the past few months, just need the creative side to pitch in.
Cogito, ergo sum.
lulkoek

Postby lulkoek » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:15 am

I have stories, game concepts and the load, just no programming skills and time, :P
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Paradox Plaza is publishing a game called Salem. http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/salem

From what I've read so far, it seems to be an open mmo on the colonization of the new world, with land ownership, crafting building and surviving, and permanent death. Might be something to keep an eye on. It's supposed to come out sometime this year.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:20 pm

Looks interesting. I want to burn a witch!
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:23 pm

I don't know what a squonk is, but burn that too!
Jason W.

Postby Jason W. » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:37 am

Jason W. wrote:
Rebma19 wrote:You mean "Wow, there's an offer we've all heard a million times with absolutely no follow through in the end"?

I can imagine how many times this has been offered. I've been doing a lot of work on developing a game over the past few months, just need the creative side to pitch in.

I don't know if anyone remembers this, but we've actually been making good progress on it. It has a grand idea and a basic interface. Can't actually do anything yet, but it is coming along.
Cogito, ergo sum.
Andu

Postby Andu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:59 pm

Jason W. wrote:
Jason W. wrote:I don't know if anyone remembers this, but we've actually been making good progress on it. It has a grand idea and a basic interface. Can't actually do anything yet, but it is coming along.

Tell us more about it?

And shouldn't this thread be moved to the non-forum games subforum?
"An those with little fuel, could tie a pack of bears in front of their limousine, with whip and crossbow in hands to keep them in line."
Jason W.

Postby Jason W. » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:48 am

Andu wrote:
Jason W. wrote:I don't know if anyone remembers this, but we've actually been making good progress on it. It has a grand idea and a basic interface. Can't actually do anything yet, but it is coming along.

Tell us more about it?

Not much to tell yet. The idea is to have something similar to Cantr, but exceedingly more complex. Player designed social structures, economies, etc, but some major differences. For example, you don't travel from one town to the next, you travel anywhere you want. You can build a structure anywhere (that the terrain allows - no houses in marshes), and if enough structures are built in proximity to each other, a town is formed. There are no pre-existing civic centres. Skills are not automatically granted, they must be learned by study or teaching. (You aren't born with the knowledge of how to build a car.) Resource gathering is a little more automated, but not endless.

Lots more is planned that I can't talk about, it must be discovered by playing.

And this is all just ideas so far. Very little of this is actually implemented at this point.
Cogito, ergo sum.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:25 am

Jason W. wrote:
Andu wrote:

Tell us more about it?

Not much to tell yet. The idea is to have something similar to Cantr, but exceedingly more complex. Player designed social structures, economies, etc, but some major differences. For example, you don't travel from one town to the next, you travel anywhere you want. You can build a structure anywhere (that the terrain allows - no houses in marshes), and if enough structures are built in proximity to each other, a town is formed. There are no pre-existing civic centres. Skills are not automatically granted, they must be learned by study or teaching. (You aren't born with the knowledge of how to build a car.) Resource gathering is a little more automated, but not endless.

Lots more is planned that I can't talk about, it must be discovered by playing.

And this is all just ideas so far. Very little of this is actually implemented at this point.

Best of luck piecing this project together. It sounds very similar to what Reveri would be like if it ever gets finished. Just make sure you put a lot of thought into the map, when you make it. If it's not thought out right at first, then you can't really fix it without a reset. :P
Jason W.

Postby Jason W. » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:20 pm

DylPickle wrote:Best of luck piecing this project together. It sounds very similar to what Reveri would be like if it ever gets finished. Just make sure you put a lot of thought into the map, when you make it. If it's not thought out right at first, then you can't really fix it without a reset. :P

Thanks. And we're always looking for more people to help with the project. Send me a PM if interested.
Cogito, ergo sum.
Zakarias
Translator-Swedish (LD)

Postby Zakarias » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:51 am

Minecraft is very similar. :)
One of the best games ever!
(watch on youtube)
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:45 pm

I agree that Minecraft is a decent game, but I don't really see the similarities at all. I mean... you play both on computers, but that's about it. Minecraft is much more similar to rogue-like games (but much, much more basic) than text-based browser games.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:21 pm

I have a friend who's trying to get me to play Minecraft.
I spend too much time on Cantr to dedicate myself to any other games at the moment. :p
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:51 am

Snickie wrote:My loyalty is to Cantr and I won't dedicate myself to any other games ever. :p

Fixed it for you. :wink:
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown

Return to “Non-Forum Games”