Instead of Whispering

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:33 am

Piscator wrote:watching your neighbor with binoculars adds to the quality of life.

My grandma used to do this. LOL
Read about my characters by following this link.
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:34 am

Piscator wrote:Random meteor strikes outside would make buildings more useful, too.

We should definitely implement those!
- Every person lost in war is two too many.
- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I believe in True Love, do you?
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:06 pm

Piscator wrote:I see this implementation as a form of decreed voyeurism and it adds to the quality of gameplay only inasmuch as watching your neighbor with binoculars adds to the quality of life.

:?: That is funny. I would have thought that one of the key things that makes the game any fun to play is seeing how things develop around you? You make it sound like spying, but isn't this what it is all about ... ? :)
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:55 pm

That's why me/my characters consider unneccessary whispering bad style/impolite and try to avoid it. Sometimes it is necessary though and in those cases I would like it to work.

If characters are pissed off by excessive whispering or simply can't stand other people having secrets, let them make a law against whispering in the town square. Why is it necessary to change the game mechanics for something that could be easily handled in-game and force everybody to play along the same rules?

This suggestion is designed to entertain the bored at the cost of those who are actually roleplaying. It's like being forced by your mother to let your baby brother play along.
Pretty in pink.
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:11 pm

Piscator wrote:That's why me/my characters consider unneccessary whispering bad style/impolite and try to avoid it. Sometimes it is necessary though and in those cases I would like it to work.

If characters are pissed off by excessive whispering or simply can't stand other people having secrets, let them make a law against whispering in the town square. Why is it necessary to change the game mechanics for something that could be easily handled in-game and force everybody to play along the same rules?

This suggestion is designed to entertain the bored at the cost of those who are actually roleplaying. It's like being forced by your mother to let your baby brother play along.

But overhearing someone sharing a secret could create nice situations, couldn't it?

- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.

Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:19 pm

Could, yes. If people are stupid enough to share a secret worth hearing in public and if you have the incredible luck to overhear just this particular whisper.

You could win in the lottery too, but more likely you will just pay a huge amount of money.
Pretty in pink.
Caesar

Postby Caesar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Piscator wrote:Could, yes. If people are stupid enough to share a secret worth hearing in public and if you have the incredible luck to overhear just this particular whisper.

You could win in the lottery too, but more likely you will just pay a huge amount of money.

Yet if the chances are so small, why would it bother you?
Does it bother you when someone wins the lottery as well?

Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:52 pm

You are entirely missing the point. It bothers me because I'm forced to play against my will. It bothers me because it forces me to lose playing comfort and usability of interface for a infinitesimal chance to get something in return.
Pretty in pink.
Caesar

Postby Caesar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Piscator wrote:You are entirely missing the point. It bothers me because I'm forced to play against my will. It bothers me because it forces me to lose playing comfort and usability of interface for a infinitesimal chance to get something in return.

I know that.
But you worry about the chance as big as the chance of winning the lottery, as you yourself put it.

Aside from that;
You can never make everyone happy, and I will not really form my full opinion about this 'feature' until some time testing it has passed.

Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:27 am

I wonder what "playing comfort" Piscator was talking about. The comfort of being able to PM other characters without any worry that you'll be overheard? We've had that ability for a while and perhaps grown used to it, but I'm yet to read any reasonable explanation why it's necessary. It's certainly not in any way realistic, and it was constantly being abused.

All I'm saying is that if that's what you mean by playing comfort, then maybe it's a good thing to lose it. Exciting things tend to happen outside of comfort zones.
BZR

Postby BZR » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:03 am

People trying to make a coup d'etat are going to die soon or will just have to find another occupation. Maybe whispers cannot be overheard in buildings, but chars will somehow have to whisper "let's meet in the building to talk about THIS..." it can be overheard as well. As I noticed, people just stopped whispering, and that's the only change. They don't talk more in public.

This feature is creating random small rp situations at cost of major plot events.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:14 am

BZR wrote:People trying to make a coup d'etat are going to die soon or will just have to find another occupation. Maybe whispers cannot be overheard in buildings, but chars will somehow have to whisper "let's meet in the building to talk about THIS..." it can be overheard as well. As I noticed, people just stopped whispering, and that's the only change. They don't talk more in public.

This feature is creating random small rp situations at cost of major plot events.

If the major plot event doesn't occur, then it isn't a "random small rp situation", but a major event chasing the criminals, for example.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Caesar

Postby Caesar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:35 am

BZR wrote:People trying to make a coup d'etat are going to die soon or will just have to find another occupation. Maybe whispers cannot be overheard in buildings, but chars will somehow have to whisper "let's meet in the building to talk about THIS..." it can be overheard as well. As I noticed, people just stopped whispering, and that's the only change. They don't talk more in public.

You must be really paranoid to fear being overheard with such a low percentage, and then only having them hear that you want to meet them inside.

I am actually still having whispered conversations in public. One person sailed away because he got irritated by it (I still think it is a stupid thing. Can't you just scroll past it like you scroll past the other speaking in town?) Why'd I care about being overheard when it is a little privacy I want? More than just speaking openly, but if one person hears it, and that only once or twice..? What's the matter?

Perhaps you could even start speaking in codewords. Or give another reason to meet inside, if you're really that desperate.

Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:06 am

I've noticed no change in character behavior, and have only personally overheard two whispers since implementation.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
BZR

Postby BZR » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:29 am

I just want to say that well RPed evil chars have already difficult lifes. And I don't mean killers exploting game mechanics, but real evil chars.

I've noticed no change in character behavior

At the moment I don't play english chars, so that I don't know how thing are going there. I noticed it in polish zone, though it can be just my personal feeling. It could be good to make a query and count the average number of whispers per day before and after implementation.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”