CantrSpy 2

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

joo

CantrSpy 2

Postby joo » Tue May 26, 2009 12:11 am

I am currently developing a new version of CantrSpy that runs under Adobe AIR, and thus on Mac, Windows and Linux.

CantrSpy is an application that runs in the background and automatically checks your Cantr account for any characters who have new events, providing feedback through a system tray or dock icon, telling you whether or not you have unread events, which/how many characters are lit up and provides a shortcut to open your player page, among other features.

Any users of Linux, Windows 7 or particularly Macintosh operating systems who are interested in helping me to test the application, contact me by IM, in #h3ll, or by PM.

The source code can be found at http://code.google.com/p/cantrspy2/.
Last edited by joo on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Fri May 29, 2009 1:44 pm

<stupid>

Does Windows 7 include that horrible monster named Vista?

</stupid>

Also, does your program stay logged into Cantr the whole time it's running? It's a really interesting idea and I'd love to help you test it, but I just don't want to eat up all of my minutes while I'm doing other stuff on my computer...

oh wait...

2000min/day. Whoever came up with that idea, you deserve a freakin' medal. It's really easy just to stay logged in all day and check my characters whenever I feel like it, whimsically, wastefully... it's like I'm driving a hummer through the Internet without heed to my carbon emissions, slaying endangered cape buffalo with my .50-caliber green smiley-face rifle (aka "crossbow"), except the environment is infinite and constantly renewing and my wanton destruction has a perfectly insignificant impact on anything.

That's what 2000min/day feels like.

So um... anyway... I'll test your prog, joo. 8)
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:
Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
CN

Postby CN » Fri May 29, 2009 4:02 pm

El_Skwidd wrote:<stupid> Does Windows 7 include that horrible monster named Vista? </stupid>

Unless I am mistaken, Windows 7 is Microsoft's next OS. It's a completely new OS.

El_Skwidd wrote:it's like I'm driving a hummer through the Internet without heed to my carbon emissions, slaying endangered cape buffalo with my .50-caliber green smiley-face rifle

You have an amazing way with words that makes me happy inside. Lol. Seriously, this cheered me up for reasons unknown
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Fri May 29, 2009 4:29 pm

:lol: Thanks!

joo

Postby joo » Sat May 30, 2009 4:41 am

El_Skwidd wrote:Does Windows 7 include that horrible monster named Vista?

No, Windows 7 is the next OS after Vista. And I'd like to test on that platform because there were some changes to the way taskbar icons work, making them more similar to dock icons on the Mac.

El_Skwidd wrote:Also, does your program stay logged into Cantr the whole time it's running? It's a really interesting idea and I'd love to help you test it, but I just don't want to eat up all of my minutes while I'm doing other stuff on my computer...

The program doesn't normally log into Cantr at all. It uses server-side script which automatically retrieves a list of all characters with new events, a bit like an RSS feed, so even if everybody only had 200 minutes per day, the program wouldn't detract from their playing time.

It does have an option to log in and open the user's player page based on their authentication details, however this is just a shortcut to opening the page manually, and as long as the user logs out afterwards, shouldn't affect their minutes more than normal.

El_Skwidd wrote:So um... anyway... I'll test your prog, joo. 8)

I'll PM you.
Elros

Postby Elros » Sat May 30, 2009 11:34 am

Hey, this sounds great! I would be glad to help test it as well. What programming language is it coded under? I ma familiar with Visual Basic and C++, but I ma sure this uses some for of SQL or other internet-based coding...

Either way, I would be glad to help test it and document on bugs or errors in it.
Every action has a consequence.
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Sun May 31, 2009 11:15 pm

Mr. joo,

I noticed something in CantrSpy today (the original version, not version II). When I close my laptop lid, it logs me out and should put my computer into sleep mode. However, since I installed CantrSpy I haven't been able to do that; it goes into sleep for half a second and then wakes up again. It was baffling me for a bit but I tried exiting CantrSpy before shutting the lid and I was able to use sleep mode just like normal. I think CantrSpy might be the problem there, then. Do you have any idea why?

joo

Postby joo » Sun May 31, 2009 11:55 pm

Elros wrote:Hey, this sounds great! I would be glad to help test it as well. What programming language is it coded under? I ma familiar with Visual Basic and C++, but I ma sure this uses some for of SQL or other internet-based coding...

Either way, I would be glad to help test it and document on bugs or errors in it.

The client is written in AJAX, using the Adobe AIR API, so most of it is done in Javascript. The server component accesses the database directly, and provides an interface to the client by HTTP, however what I am developing is the client application.

Right now, I'm just looking to test it on specific operating systems to make sure it runs as I expect it to, so tell me what OS(es) you run and I'll give you more information on how to help.

El_Skwidd wrote:Mr. joo,

I noticed something in CantrSpy today (the original version, not version II). When I close my laptop lid, it logs me out and should put my computer into sleep mode. However, since I installed CantrSpy I haven't been able to do that; it goes into sleep for half a second and then wakes up again. It was baffling me for a bit but I tried exiting CantrSpy before shutting the lid and I was able to use sleep mode just like normal. I think CantrSpy might be the problem there, then. Do you have any idea why?

I'll contact you on IRC.
joo

Postby joo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:02 am

For reference, this is a web installation link to version 2.3.0 of the client.
http://joo.freehostia.com/cantrspy/2.3.0/

Or to access the installation package directly (requires Adobe AIR to be installed):
http://joo.freehostia.com/cantrspy/cantrspy_2_3_0.air

Note: this is for testing purposes only. Use it if you wish, but the previous version is more complete in terms of features.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:37 am

Well I've WindowsXP and you know my downlaod "constraints" sooo...
Elros

Postby Elros » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:51 pm

I have Windows XP as well, so I am not sure if you would really need it tested on that OS since it is not one of the OS that you listed on your post...
joo

Postby joo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Elros wrote:I have Windows XP as well, so I am not sure if you would really need it tested on that OS since it is not one of the OS that you listed on your post...

Correct. If I want to test it on XP, I need look no further than my own OS.
Elros

Postby Elros » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:39 am

I have a question I hope someone can answer. Where can I download the Cantr Spy program from(the original, not the one you are working on)?
joo

Postby joo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:32 am

Elros

Postby Elros » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:18 am

Thanks man.

Return to “General Discussion”