Working title: Otherworld

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Re: Working title: Otherworld

Postby SekoETC » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:22 pm

I'm just having a bad day. I'll get over it.
Not-so-sad panda
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:07 pm

I lost my password, so have not been on lately, but Really liked what was happening thus far. (could you PM me again, perhaps?)
I also have a second job, so even Cantr is a "once every other day login, alas..." sort of schedule.
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:24 am

I thought I saw in the log that you had logged in. Did you remember your password after a while or does my system accidentally record also failed logins?
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:13 pm

The newest implementation is the possibility to request companions. This means you can team up with other people, including people you know in real life. The only limitation is that you can't join your own characters, but you can circumvent this by having a friend in the same location request company instead.
Not-so-sad panda
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:19 pm

I was trying to explore an area,

I got the following on my screen:

Warning: imagepng() [function.imagepng]: Unable to open 'http://ogreworld.com/graphics/local/soil_2069-1071.png' for writing: No such file or directory in /home/countd6/public_html/ogreworld.com/_private/local_map.inc.php on line 697

Warning: imagepng() [function.imagepng]: Unable to open 'http://ogreworld.com/graphics/local/row_2069-1071.png' for writing: No such file or directory in /home/countd6/public_html/ogreworld.com/_private/local_map.inc.php on line 707

Warning: imagepng() [function.imagepng]: Unable to open 'http://ogreworld.com/graphics/local/plants_2069-1071.png' for writing: No such file or directory in /home/countd6/public_html/ogreworld.com/_private/local_map.inc.php on line 717

Warning: imagepng() [function.imagepng]: Unable to open 'http://ogreworld.com/graphics/local/altitude_2069-1071.png' for writing: No such file or directory in /home/countd6/public_html/ogreworld.com/_private/local_map.inc.php on line 727

It used up my points, however the area is still coming up as unexplored
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:22 am

Thanks for reporting. The problem was that when dealing with writing files, it needs the actual file path, whereas reading files it is enough that it has a url. It should work now.
Not-so-sad panda
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:53 pm

Tried to rest and received this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_LNUMBER, expecting T_VARIABLE or '$' in /home/countd6/public_html/ogreworld.com/_private/rest.inc.php on line 31
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks again for reporting. This one was a really silly error. Basically I had been struggling to type $ and had somehow managed to type "$2233" (in Finnish keyboard, the $ is Alt Gr 4. First time for everything.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu May 18, 2017 1:36 pm

I created a Discord channel for Otherworld. I hope it will be more accessible than the slack channel no one ever goes to.

https://discord.gg/yFvmADT

I saw an ad for another game, a graphical game that has the same premise of starting from Stone Age and advancing through the eras. I checked it out briefly to see if I could learn anything from it. It's basically the same engine as Anno Online, just with different graphics. You only have to do like two or three things to get out of Stone Age, which is ridiculous. But I looked at their tree (or network?) of technological advancement, and I like the idea of that. Currently everybody can see the whole build menu even though metals haven't been implemented yet, but someone who is in Neolithic tech level shouldn't even know metals exist. This lead into me thinking that technologies shouldn't come free. You should practice things like flint knapping before you learn to produce useful items. You would have to spend stone on trial versions before you unlock the actual tools. (Except knapping stone and manual grindstone would be available to everybody because they are basically just stones you found for a specific purpose.) People could teach technologies to each other, so if you are not alone, you don't have to go through the whole research process on your own, but teaching should have a time delay and maybe also consume materials. Maybe there could also be NPCs with knowledge, so that there could be a guy that says if you bring me a load of flint, I'll teach you how to make items out of it.

I would like to make it possible to have complex cultures even before reaching copper age.

In other news, we still haven't managed to get Cron to work, which is a major roadblock. I've told the guy to try running the command through shell and see if that works, but somehow he still hasn't gotten around to it. He's apparently too busy. I wish I had access myself.
Not-so-sad panda
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Thu May 18, 2017 2:55 pm

SekoETC wrote:I created a Discord channel for Otherworld. I hope it will be more accessible than the slack channel no one ever goes to.

https://discord.gg/yFvmADT

In other news, we still haven't managed to get Cron to work, which is a major roadblock. I've told the guy to try running the command through shell and see if that works, but somehow he still hasn't gotten around to it. He's apparently too busy. I wish I had access myself.

Way back when I was messing with trying to create a sort of Cantr-clone (with distinct differences) I tied a sort of "Updater" to the login script and the "main" scripts... it was a total hack, yes, but basically checked to see if an update ran within the past ## minutes (different functions checked different timestamp ranges, for hourly, daily, etc but lal referenced the "Last Updated" global variable that the updater set as t's last lines of code. If it did not run 'recently', there was a function that was effectively the "cron job" that checked timestamps for completion of projects, movement and hunger, and all the stuff I wanted checked in a Timely manner and updated them. So a sort of manual cron-job. It was messy, but it worked well enough for "semi-real-time" game like Cantr. :D
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Thu May 18, 2017 3:52 pm

I assume you would like to have a way to run the separate 'cron' job functions manually, for testing/development reasons. There would then be an owner-only control page from where you can call the functions.
By letting this page call the ticks periodically through some ajax 'update'-function and leaving the page open permanently you can 'run' the game controlled from a client. For development purposes only, of course, there are serious security issues.
I think ...
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu May 18, 2017 4:55 pm

I could make a script that runs the timed procedures if enough time has passed since last time, and it might even be good that they didn't run if nobody was logging in, but the problem is that if a lot of people were logging in, the script would be constantly checking "is it time yet, no, how about NOW?"

The thing is, in the beginning cron was emailing the owner a message about there not being permissions to run the file. But then the emails stopped coming. We since discovered the command was flawed and fixed that, but the emails never came back.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon May 29, 2017 5:06 pm

I got a new server so currently there are two copies of the game. I recommend that testers move to the new address because it needs testing to see if things work. It doesn't show error messages to generic users, so it might be harder to notice if something doesn't work. The first year is almost free but after this I will need to pay 95 euros a year, so I sure hope it's worth it.

http://www.otherworld-pbbg.com/
Not-so-sad panda
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Mon May 29, 2017 7:18 pm

okay
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 am

So as of yesterday, we have automatic resting. This means that manual resting will be removed soon. Some of you may have noticed a "test value" posted at the top of the character page. This is how much AP you regenerate in a real life hour. It's affected by multiple factors but I'm not sure if I should reveal them or let you figure them out ingame. Once manual resting gets turned off, you will need to change your traveling strategies, because you won't be able to generate unlimited AP. If you wait 5 hours in real life, you will have maximum AP and can move long distances at a time, or you can move a shorter distance every hour.

Things that will happen next are most likely automatic healing and growing of crops.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Non-Forum Games”