Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby SekoETC » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm a bit bored and I expect others are too so how about roleplaying on irc? It might take a bit of planning to decide what sort of a setting would be good. Character descriptions and logs could be posted here if we actually got somewhere with the idea. I'd prefer something involving slaves but... you know me.
Not-so-sad panda
MelloYell

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby MelloYell » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:29 pm

i was actually thinking about this yesterday...how we might be able to rp on the forum board while the site is down. lol
(i don't use irc, have been told they are very insecure and my lack of knowledge makes me weary)

however, i decided not to post the suggestion when, upon giving it some thought, i came to the conclusion that i doubt very many people would really get into it....
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:41 pm

Don't we have a forum Cantr thread somewhere? Someone could have a look in the Forum Games section.
Pretty in pink.
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:21 pm

There is, though I think it's different than what Seko means.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:34 pm

That was rather directed to the second poster.
Pretty in pink.
Arenti

Postby Arenti » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:36 pm

Okay sorry.
There is no rule that says I can't post as much I want. I asked my lawyer.
MelloYell

Postby MelloYell » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:06 pm

Piscator wrote:Don't we have a forum Cantr thread somewhere? Someone could have a look in the Forum Games section.

i sense some sarcasm here, but i'm having difficulty reading it because i really have no idea what you are trying to say.... :(
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:21 pm

The thing is the forum thread got really out of hand when people weren't taking it seriously, characters weren't introduced properly, there was only one girl and tons of guys, I got bored very quickly. Also forum games tend to get so many long posts that they get really tiresome to read. The post length limitation in irc would keep people from getting too carried away.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:48 pm

No, no sarcasm at all. There's a thread somewhere we used to play Cantr without Cantr (so to say). I just don't want to dig it up myself. At least not unless I know there's someone who wants to play.
Pretty in pink.
mojomuppet

Postby mojomuppet » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:14 pm

I wanna play.
3005-7.35: You expertly kill a giraffe using a bare fist.

MelloYell

Postby MelloYell » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Piscator wrote:No, no sarcasm at all. There's a thread somewhere we used to play Cantr without Cantr (so to say). I just don't want to dig it up myself. At least not unless I know there's someone who wants to play.

oh, okay. :)

i wouldn't mind giving it a try....
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:44 pm

Here's the old thread, but I guess you might just as well start a new one.

http://forum.cantr.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14706&start=0
Pretty in pink.
MelloYell

Postby MelloYell » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:12 pm

i just skimmed through it, and it seems that no one was really taking it as serious role-play, but only as way to mock cantr.....:S

maybe if someone starts a new one, we can request that only those seriously rp'ing join? of course, such a request won't necessarily be met, but if we said it just to say it.....?

maybe set some ground rules in place...?

i'm no good at setting things up or i'd give it a shot....(setting it up with the rules and "requests", that is)
Abe

Postby Abe » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:53 am

Yes, there should be some rules and a general direction for the game. If not it'll be just another parody or some interactive absurdist fiction. How about a GM perhaps? Say somebody decides to go to the next town to see what's there and the GM could send him/her a PM about it.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 am

I was thinking that initially we play one town, and pm's can be used for whispers, but they must be emoted in the main chat. And by main chat I mean #cantr_rpg and not #cantr because having non-participating people and chatter around would be a distraction. I can handle being a GM but I'd also like to have a character, if I don't end up playing NPCs.

As for setting, the first people to arrive can be either travelers or newspawns landing upon an abandoned town with keys and stuff on the ground. They can then agree how to rule the place. Other people will likewise join in as either travelers or newspawns. Travelers can have some equipment but it would be likely to get boring if everybody gives themselves strong weapons and motorized vehicles. It would solve the problem with traveling if you can't get out of there alive, although if a single person left, they could try to recruit others in pm's and instant messages without having a need for creating new locations. But it's easy enough to create a new channel in irc, we just don't want to scatter the crowd too much, especially if only Mojo and me have so far agreed to play.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Non-Forum Games”