Faery Tale Online (FTO)

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

w.w.g.d.w

Re: Faery Tale Online (FTO)

Postby w.w.g.d.w » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:27 pm

My first character is 30 years old, second appeared just today. :D Probably you had your chance...
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:54 pm

Ah...mine's 28 and I'm now 4th in the queue for a second character. I guess we signed up around the same time :lol:
iavatus

Postby iavatus » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:19 am

If they're fine with OOC shenanigans, why not organise a Cantr group? Could be fun, to know we've got a solid core of folks who don't run around baby murdering, just cause.

We'd have reasons!

31 in queue
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:23 am

The queue, lag, weird furry community, lack of a CR are all reasons not to play. Mostly the lag for me, I quit after two days because I couldn't be bothered. I remember how much fun I had playing a starter couple long ago with Caesar. There's still some horrifying stories in the story book about how Lilith terrorised her babies. Eventually her own daughter killed her, which seemed like a fitting end.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Lapallanch

Postby Lapallanch » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:36 am

This game has so much potential, but after experiencing it myself, I'll just be honest here. It sucks.

1) Birth queues? Really? Okay fine, you want a unique game. But 95% of the potential players get bored after waiting for weeks for their character to be born. As for the 5%, they're gonna get born and quit because of the next few reasons. I mean, I've been waiting for more than a month and I'm 90th in the birth queue. With 0 pregnant mothers.
2) Boring start. You start as a child. There's barely anything you can do. So 2% of that 5% probably quit there and then.
3) People spend most of their roleplaying making love. If that sounds like the game for you, sign up, sure. Another few people quit.
4) FTO is too obsessed with no out-of-character discussions. No forums or whatsoever. There's a unofficial forum that some players made, but I have a feeling the FTO staff will search the forum for clues and ban the players who were involved in that forum.
5) So that's how many real players the game gets out of the hundreds that had the interest in the game.

Conclusion
You want to make a game realistic, I'm perfectly fine with that. But come on, you're just too goddamn realistic. How do you expect a steady inflow of players, as well as old player retainment? Eventually some veterans are gonna get bored of all the love roleplays and quit. And there you have it. One day, nobody plays the game anymore and the game is dead.

*-1.06: You say: "I turned around *smiles happily*"
*-1.06: You turned around.
*-1.06: You turned around.
*-1.06: - says: "I give you last warning, turn around "
Breezy

Postby Breezy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:48 am

Lapallanch wrote:This game has so much potential, but after experiencing it myself, I'll just be honest here. It sucks.

1) Birth queues? Really? Okay fine, you want a unique game. But 95% of the potential players get bored after waiting for weeks for their character to be born. As for the 5%, they're gonna get born and quit because of the next few reasons. I mean, I've been waiting for more than a month and I'm 90th in the birth queue. With 0 pregnant mothers.
2) Boring start. You start as a child. There's barely anything you can do. So 2% of that 5% probably quit there and then.
3) People spend most of their roleplaying making love. If that sounds like the game for you, sign up, sure. Another few people quit.
4) FTO is too obsessed with no out-of-character discussions. No forums or whatsoever. There's a unofficial forum that some players made, but I have a feeling the FTO staff will search the forum for clues and ban the players who were involved in that forum.
5) So that's how many real players the game gets out of the hundreds that had the interest in the game.

Conclusion
You want to make a game realistic, I'm perfectly fine with that. But come on, you're just too goddamn realistic. How do you expect a steady inflow of players, as well as old player retainment? Eventually some veterans are gonna get bored of all the love roleplays and quit. And there you have it. One day, nobody plays the game anymore and the game is dead.

I agree with all these points. I played a little while and ended up giving my account away. There is a pretty busy Facebook group and my village had an IRC channel. I chatted more in there than I played in game. Honestly 90% of the chatter in the group is about the queue, the number of pregnant moms and questions about "why did so-and-so kill me". was just complaining about how I think the world seems like it'll be awesome to explore and RP in - if you could ever get into it. I was a mermaid when I played and Starborn seems cool, too.

Waiting 2+ months to be born, sucked. But being a baby sucked. Not being able to explore, or do pretty much anything without RPing being taught sucked (although I can understand why). And being pressured OOC and IC (even though I never made it that far) to have offspring sucked.

I remember there was this guy who wanted to explore, hunt and mine. He didn't talk much so his parents KILLED him. Baby gets born but doesn't wake up. They also get killed. My first character almost got killed because I didn't even realize she was born into the game. I just happened to log in one day and saw that had a starving character.

Lastly, you only get an hour of play time a day. I have no idea how that really works, but I remember reading in the group that you should completely log out of a character if you have to go away from the keyboard or something.

Ok, I'm done ranting.
Last edited by Breezy on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BosBaBe

Postby BosBaBe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:57 am

I logged in yesterday, got jumped straight to the front of the queue, next in line for birthing. Been over a year since I signed up and I was all "Yay! I can see what this game is like!".
Check it again this morning. Some asshole's logged in and took my place! >8C I'm down to 1!

FTO's spawning system and it's queue? Worst system I have ever seen.
Shedevil

Postby Shedevil » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:39 pm

I ended up giving my account to someone else a while ago. I just couldn't handle it anymore along with Cantr. Slowly lost interest after taking a break for RL issues and never went back. Just couldn't do it.
Oh look, another glorious morning… makes me SICK!
Marian

Postby Marian » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:14 pm

Yeah I gave mine away too once I got to the front of the queue. I was really curious about it and looking forward to checking it out, but that was...seven months ago? I'll just stick with my Cantrians, thanks.

Little leery about getting involved with a game that's not being updated or moderated, anyway.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:06 pm

The queue is horrible. It can be "bypassed" in a way. If you sign up, join the queue, then don't log in again for X amount of time, then the next time you log in you'll be first in line. I forget what the time limit is to make your acct "inactive" though.

Playing a baby -can- be fun, but it requires engagement from the adults. As players, you might be excited to play the parent and RP raising a baby the first time. Then it gets old fast.

If...and that's a big IF...you can get the community involved in RPing raising the babies then the system is a great way to force new chars to learn and accept the culture. In Cantr, newspawns take 5 min to decide if they want to stay somewhere or leave immediately. In FTO, the new chars are forced to stay and get to know the others. My first FTO char was born into a place with very interesting culture and by time my char was old enough to strike out on its own, it was brainwashed and believed the way it was raised was the only way to live. :lol:

But overall, FTO suffers too much from terrible programming to even be playable in a lot of basic ways. Not to mention if the playerbase gets too high the game goes offline for the last 10 days of each month due to bandwidth limits. It's a shame because there are quite a lot of things I like about FTO but I don't think I'll bother playing it again.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:16 pm

SumBum wrote:The queue is horrible. It can be "bypassed" in a way. If you sign up, join the queue, then don't log in again for X amount of time, then the next time you log in you'll be first in line. I forget what the time limit is to make your acct "inactive" though.

I believe it's a case of not logging in for a week. Though, when you next sign in, you won't automatically be at the front of the queue, unless it's been so long that anyone else who joined the queue before you and kept their account 'active' has already been born.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:30 pm

No, it's definitely a way of queue jumping. It's a huge difference when you create two accts at the same time, 1 acct gets logged into regularly for 6 months and only moves up to 60 in the queue, the 2nd acct you don't log into for 2 months and end up at the front of the line. Pretty sure it takes longer than 1 week for your acct to become inactive, though.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
rd1988
Location: Piękne miasto smogu, korków, dziurawych ulic i kiboli.

Postby rd1988 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:08 pm

Is anyone else still playing this game? I want to know how much changed since the last two years, but I'm too lazy to create another character and wait X months.
:twisted:
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:20 am

Its still awful.
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
rd1988
Location: Piękne miasto smogu, korków, dziurawych ulic i kiboli.

Postby rd1988 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:06 am

Well... that's a bummer. Thanks though.
:twisted:

Return to “Non-Forum Games”