The Death Sense - CR issue?

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Surly

The Death Sense - CR issue?

Postby Surly » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:04 pm

Okay, this is a two fold question....

1) Is it okay to use the "death sense" as a tool in Cantr? i.e. to sense the death of a char by their name going white? I believe it should be okay, as if used correctly is just another part of Cantr... and would be very difficult to change.

2) Would it be possible to have an announcement page detailed the PD's official position on things like this? I realise the CR is somewhat flexible in some cases, but things like death sense need on last detailed ruling.
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:22 pm

Surly,

I'll bring it up in the PD forum and hopefully we can come back with a consensus.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Surly

Postby Surly » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:30 pm

Yay, death by committee...

:wink:
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:56 pm

Thanks for that Doug, but as you can see, I did it a few hours ago.

Surly, it is something you want an answer on, so the PD needs to discuss it. It isn't something we currently have a stated policy on. That doesn't mean what we come back with is written in stone.
Surly

Postby Surly » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:04 pm

No comment... :roll:
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:43 pm

:roll:
west

Postby west » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:18 am

I'd say, if my vote counts in such matters, that we should let it pass as one of those things cantrians can do and we can't. Considering chars can see it when someone slumps over dead from starvation, or dies (presumably screaming) from their wounds, but can't see at all when someone dies of a heart attack...

Maybe cantrians have a sixth sense for such things, the same way they can tell at a glance exactly how many grams of a substance is in a pile, or the way they know what time it is--exactly--without any clocks.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:12 am

Oh no... I accidentally used the 'death sense' just recently... EEK! But if you think about it, we all Role-Play the unrealistic flaws and physics of Cantr's dark side, so why not Role-Play this as an actual physical law of Cantr's Universe?? As in, if you can remember the person saying something, you can know if they're dead or not... kind of makes sense, like TRUE Love- unexplainable besides by chemicals- though I don't know how this could be explained by chemicals, though you get my point... WOW that was a long sentence. ;)
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:30 am

N-Aldwitch wrote:Oh no... I accidentally used the 'death sense' just recently... EEK!

Hmm I wonder ... myself and another player were considering filing a CRB report because a character evidently knew about a death they definiately did not see and hand no evidence for... Then I remembered the death sense... Surely it could be programmed such that the name is still editable for 4 days after a death.. Personally I think it should be a CRB but then I have a vested interest in it!

Funny to see two characters, one carefully saying that someone was missing and might be dead, their companion stating they knew there had been a murder.

It definately need clarifying as one player clearly was using the death sense, the other deliberately not.
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Kreed

Postby Kreed » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:33 am

Wheres Sho?
I remember quite a long discussion about this previously in which the death sense was decided to be a normal Cantr sense.
Yuk yuk yuk.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:00 pm

The discussion within the PD is ongoing...
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:28 pm

The PD discussion is now academic as ProgD have removed death sensing 8)
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:33 pm

Jeez, that was quick.... but not quick enough for one of my charries..

Go ProgD Go!

It is an improvement, but this has been an issue for ages, hoe come the speedy response now...

Anyway thus, anyone who knows about a death out of context is definately CRBing..

Yay!
R.I.P:

Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:39 pm

It wasn't that quick - it's been on ProgD's lists for a long time - It was even implemented then rolled back to stop various untrapped interactions with dead bodies. Internal priorities change over time and this thread acted as a prompt. The actual work took several hours (yesterday and today) as a lot of routines required auditing, checking and then testing prior to implementation
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:31 pm

Great work, Chris. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period needed to get used to this, but at least the PD doesn't have to give it's final verdict. Sorry, Surly :P

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”