Reporting in-game notes written Out of Character

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

jeslange

Reporting in-game notes written Out of Character

Postby jeslange » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:37 pm

The Players Department can remove notes that contain OOC info.

-Please post the title of the note in this thread. Thanks!
Nick

Postby Nick » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:42 am

Does this include plagiarism(sp?) ?
It is way too common in Cantr, and is to my knowledge illegal.
jeslange

Postby jeslange » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:47 pm

There isn't an official policy on this, but here's a guideline to when it might be okay and when it definately won't:

It should be okay if a RL work is:
1) Not so famous that people can't imagine it being something a char could create,
2)Makes no reference to RL things that don't also exist in the author char's area of Cantr.
However, that would likely limit use of RL works to only poetry or possibly a short story that is very vague, like something about nature perhaps.

It's not okay to use a work that:
1) Is well known to players and also causes them to be able to see it only as an OOC work, rather than something the author char might realistically have thought of himself/herself due to his her environment or situation,
2) Makes reference to RL things, people, etc.

Any note reported can be looked into, and we can either have the player who put it in Cantr simply edit a couple of words if there's minor OOC reference, or else delete the whole note and any copies if the note isn't appropriate for Cantr overall.

I hope all players who want their chars to write something will try to make something on their own to make a work truly unique to his/her char, but some players may see something written in RL that really touches upon their char's feelings or perspective. So, a middle ground approach to the issue might be the best, since it can protect against notes that taint the simulation while also ensuring that players have some flexibility in enhancing their roleplaying.
SekoETC

Reporting ooc note in Tircqi

Postby SekoETC » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:50 pm

On the ground in Tircqi there's a note titled "stuff list", which contains the Finnish translations of the names of some tools in the game. It's an English region so...
Not-so-sad panda
jeslange

Postby jeslange » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:48 pm

Thanks. I'm looking into it.
Nick

Postby Nick » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:58 pm

jeslange wrote:There isn't an official policy on this, but here's a guideline to when it might be okay and when it definately won't:

It should be okay if a RL work is:
1) Not so famous that people can't imagine it being something a char could create,
2)Makes no reference to RL things that don't also exist in the author char's area of Cantr.
However, that would likely limit use of RL works to only poetry or possibly a short story that is very vague, like something about nature perhaps.

It's not okay to use a work that:
1) Is well known to players and also causes them to be able to see it only as an OOC work, rather than something the author char might realistically have thought of himself/herself due to his her environment or situation,
2) Makes reference to RL things, people, etc.

Any note reported can be looked into, and we can either have the player who put it in Cantr simply edit a couple of words if there's minor OOC reference, or else delete the whole note and any copies if the note isn't appropriate for Cantr overall.

I hope all players who want their chars to write something will try to make something on their own to make a work truly unique to his/her char, but some players may see something written in RL that really touches upon their char's feelings or perspective. So, a middle ground approach to the issue might be the best, since it can protect against notes that taint the simulation while also ensuring that players have some flexibility in enhancing their roleplaying.

It's still illegal unless there is a reference to the original author. And that wouldn't look too good.

And you're saying, that anything with something that isn't programmed into the game, can't be shown? So a picture with anything so much as the sun in it, is not allowed?
Yo_Yo

Postby Yo_Yo » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:10 pm

In Krif, my Characer Ray Aislek is olding a note called Secret inside. Inside the note is a link t a java chat. Moreso then a link, its a button.
Vicki Vale: You're insane!
Joker: I thought I was a Pisces!
Yo_Yo

Postby Yo_Yo » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:45 pm

Delete it purty please.

Revanael

Postby Revanael » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:49 pm

You people and your double posts... *shakes his head, grinnning* You are allowed to edit the first one and add what would go in the second one to the bottom of it, you know! :D
jeslange

Postby jeslange » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:38 pm

:lol: Having a particularly good day today, Rev?

Thanks for the report. We're on it.
jeslange

Postby jeslange » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:52 pm

Do not make notes with links to things outside of Cantr.
Yo_Yo

Postby Yo_Yo » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:14 pm

Hey, I didn't make it. Found it while I was in jail. Didn't have anything to do but sift through old notes. And I wanted to put in a new post for it to bump it so that someone might notice it. I know you're all very busy, so I tried to help out.

jeslange

Postby jeslange » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:52 am

I knew you weren't the note's creator, Yo_Yo. I was posting that message to everyone.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:18 pm

I'm not sure about this but there are two notes on the ground in Hills of Hilloi south titled Longinazy Forest (east) and Blit Forest west, and inside a to-do list to kill some people. Aren't those places on the other island? They were probably dropped by some of the people dying there, and mostly the ones that do are newspawns who've never seen food. I'm pretty sure the notes weren't there when my character arrived, but then again there was lots of stuff. Anyway, they've been there for quite long, I realized the oddity only now.
Not-so-sad panda
Nick

Postby Nick » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:03 pm

Hilloi and Longinazy are on different islands.

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”