offensive name

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Missy

Postby Missy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:10 pm

Fact of the matter is, we came up with this naming system so players could call themselves whatever they wanted. It used to be that names of characterd had to be approved before a person could have that character.

We don't do t hat any more because players are allowed to call their characters whatever they like. However----They should refrain from COMMON offensive names such as "Nigger Hater" or "Hitler" If it's a blatantly obvious offense such as "FUCK FACE" yes, they should be asked to change it. However, when you're saying Efac Ssa, you're not seeing "Ass Face," you're seeing and saying "Efac Ssa," whether you understand the joke behind it or not. But you're always welcome to try and get a person to rename themselves IC.
I hate people.
Bran-Muffin

Postby Bran-Muffin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:48 am

Missy rules.
Helmaroc

Postby Helmaroc » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:23 am

Yeah, I just met Ecaf Ssa. I agree that a lot of these chars with possibly offensive/rude names aren't so bad themselves. The name can be a little annoying, though.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:30 am

Helmaroc wrote:Yeah, I just met Ecaf Ssa. I agree that a lot of these chars with possibly offensive/rude names aren't so bad themselves. The name can be a little annoying, though.

You could always force him to change it, refuse to call him that, choose your own name for him and convince people to use that instead.

He can call himself whatever he likes, makes no difference if everyone else calls him something different :lol:
Helmaroc

Postby Helmaroc » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:58 pm

Or I could just call him ass face, maybe that'd piss him off enough to change it. :D
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Surely you are then the one being offensive, and blatantly so.
Leo Luncid

Postby Leo Luncid » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:46 am

Heads up, because I really despise this topic.

Helmaroc wrote:Or I could just call him ass face, maybe that'd piss him off enough to change it. :D

tiddy ogg wrote:Surely you are then the one being offensive, and blatantly so.
I'm sorry, only the most naive would gape open their mouths in surprise if that were to happen, because it's freaking bound to happen. And it's not anywere near different from the name that started it.

And I do hope that I'm not the only one here that thinks that this is definitely not the way Cantr's supposed to be played. I can understand when someone who doesn't name him/herself gets named after some local animal or flower pot, but it's simply downright ridiculous to name yourself like that out of nowhere, putting it backwards trying to hide it just for laughs.
Missy wrote:However, when you're saying Efac Ssa, you're not seeing "Ass Face," you're seeing and saying "Efac Ssa," whether you understand the joke behind it or not.
Heh, I suppose you find "Shi-Thead" a joke as well, eh?
Notice how weak and petty we are / In the grand fixture we come afar / Hey we can't help it / No denying the prerequisite for love / Your very existence / You're the source of my substenance / Slow down take your time and feel the / Flow
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:43 pm

I agree with Missy. No need to get knickers in a twist. Blatantly offensive names and behaviour should have something done, but tounge-in-cheek, however so slightly immature, isn't harmful to the game in any way.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:39 pm

It can be dealt with in game; I don't see a need for staff to force OOC attitudes on the game, players already bring enough OOC baggage along as it is
Lyd

Postby Lyd » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:26 pm

Quickly makes a new character named:

Uoy Gnihctaw S’amam oy
Shadows on the ceiling, coffee cup congealing
Tarot cards revealing, a solitary feeling
Terminal eyes, but I think it's alright
-Al Stewart

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”