Public CRB investigations

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

SCUBA

Public CRB investigations

Postby SCUBA » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:01 pm

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

That is what is said about the purpose of this channel. I think it also has to be allowed to discuss CRB's as long as it is not just yelling at each other. Players need to have a place to find out what is allowed and not. Many rules have borderline areas and shady parts.

What is written above about what is better not tu put in this forum, is not discussion but some reports of CRB's. As I understand it. The monitors of this forums should not lock threads because of discussion. They should lock them if the go out of hand, and nothing more is cleared about the rules. They should also ofcourse take away all posts that reveals things about the game that will be out of the rules. As it is now, I think discussions are stopped just at the moment when things are getting a bit ckearer about the rules. The best thing for PD monitors of this forum would be to come in and make some good answers to the public instead of just locking the thread.
/SCUBA

-------------------------------------------------------

<Nick> I have enjoyed some of your forum posts which is rare.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:34 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure about this one at all. First of all, many of those discussions lead to flame wars, which is pretty unappealing. Secondly, they almost invariably reveal a lot about what is going on in the game currently. If you have a spy ship and somebody complains about it, then even if you're cleared, it's already ruined because it's public. A lot of players like to keep most of what they're doing private and don't want their chars to be revealed. That means they cannot add to the discussion and thus sometimes one side will be totally absent from the discussion. I think these are all bad effects ...

I can see your point about the rules, and it's useful to discuss rules (like now the thread about using foreign languages), but the actual breaches should be investigated more in private, imho.
cantrlady

Postby cantrlady » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:10 pm

And why the need for a public channel when a player can contact the department and the PD will respond via e-mail.
SCUBA

Postby SCUBA » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:51 pm

My head point was that the monitoration of this forum and the stated purpose of it does not coorelate. I think one has to be changed. If not the monitoration as i think, then the stated purpose. If that is done and this forum will just be the forum for reporting CRB's, I think there would be a need for a new rules forum.
/SCUBA

-------------------------------------------------------

<Nick> I have enjoyed some of your forum posts which is rare.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:13 pm

Ok, my suggestion would then be to just remove this forum altogether and, yes, perhaps rules need to be discussed somewhere more clearly. Not sure it warrants an entire forum, but perhaps ... It wouldn't really hurt either.

What do other PD members think?
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:36 pm

If it's all going to be kept private, PD are likely to get a lot of duplicate complaints, perhaps. Also, having it in the forum means that the complaint is seen to be addressed.
Neither of these are compelling reasons, but it's worth thinking about.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:02 pm

I think the forum should be left as it is. People should not discuss specific CRB's in the forum, but simply report them. That is the point of the forum. If they want it completely private, they can send in an email. If they don't want to correspond via email with PD, then they can use the forum. The forum is easier for some people, not so much for others. Specific CRB's should never be publicly discussed anyway, whether it is in a forum to report it or another forum.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:13 am

You know, come to think of it, I'm all for this forum being removed.

It's kind of like a showcase- people leap to this forum with excitement when they see a new post here. They flock to these posts.
I mean for gods sake, its the holidays and yet the post "About Learning Other Languages" has over TWO THOUSAND views. That's crazy.

I'm not staff but I'd vote yes for the deletion of this forum. I check it to make sure my characters aren't here for what ever reason.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:22 am

Some people may have initially checked that thread to see if it had information about dual language useage, etc. that would clarify the rules on languages for them a bit due to the title.

If I check this forum, it's to see whether any questions are asked about CRB's that may offer some more insight or information from PD members on what is acceptable and not acceptable in very grey circumstances. It also helps keep me aware of what circumstances might arise in the game and what to watch for in CRB's that might need to be reported. It's good to be able to understand the CR better through this forum. I think the forum is more of a help than a hindrance.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:26 am

Hmm, true, and I guess it's also good to put the cheaters 'on show' for embarrasment..
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:

"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
cantrlady

Postby cantrlady » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:29 pm

N-Aldwitch wrote:Hmm, true, and I guess it's also good to put the cheaters 'on show' for embarrasment..

Some peope don't realize they are cheating until after it is discussed with them...so public humiliation would only lower the potential for stopping the development of a good player.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:08 pm

N-Aldwitch wrote:Hmm, true, and I guess it's also good to put the cheaters 'on show' for embarrasment..

That is definitely not the purpose of this forum.

And as I said, I'm a little worried that valid tactics might be ruined by reports here, when they are suspected of being CRBs. I'm still not really sure here what I think :-) ...
Skulty

Postby Skulty » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:13 pm

Nice one, cantrlady! The most confusing half a sentence I've ever seen! :P
cantrlady

Postby cantrlady » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:45 pm

Skulty wrote:Nice one, cantrlady! The most confusing half a sentence I've ever seen! :P

Perhaps I should wait until I am fully awake before I post. :oops:
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:11 pm

A number of players may wonder about where to report 'cheating', and not know the deal about CRBs etc. The forums may well be their first point of call when looking to report such things.

If this topic is removed, there needs to be a permanent note on the player screen saying where to send reports of CRBs / cheating.

Even if this topic remains, such a note would probably be useful...

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”