Dutch/German language breach

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:15 am

A character arriving in Mejis originally speaking Dutch has now broken into full blown English. I really don't think there has been extensive contact with the English to justify the levels of English fluency creeping into the German/Dutch zone. :?
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
wietse

Postby wietse » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:13 pm

Well, i hope English becomes the internation language soon in the dutch area's ... although there havent been more than a handfull englisch visistors indeed...

right now i am listening in game to german, french and spanisch talk and maybe i can read the german a bit and the french a very little bit, but the spanisch is getting pretty anoying..
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:39 pm

Wichita, please let me know the name of the character in question. And is Mejis orginally Dutch or German?
notsure

Postby notsure » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:45 pm

Don't be angry about the French. We have to share the island with you, after all.

notsure
oel

Postby oel » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:58 am

don't know if this is a rule breach

on the duch island i have seen some spanish speaking newspawns
and it's not one but several.

if it was one then you could RP somehting around it, but now one of my chars lifes in a place where there is almost only spanish speaking
Heiner

Postby Heiner » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:54 pm

As soon as you have 2 Spanish characters in one town, more may spawn if I understood that correctly. It's pretty annoying, I think: Out of my 2 German charries one has spawned on the Dutch island and one in the middle of nowhere :-/
Pieter de Groote

Postby Pieter de Groote » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:45 am

Could it be made clear if players can use OOC language knowledge and dictionaries, so that all their characters can speak multiple languages?

I like the idea of roleplaying language problems, but it's plain silly and a very big disadvantage if others can choose their characters to speak any language they choose.

I agree the following comes in handy, but I think it's not what we want in game:

1512-5.35: S (a man in his twenties) zegt: „Gutentag Heidi, ich sprechen ein bischen Deutsch aber er ist nicht gut. Weiss sie eine stad?"
1512-1.32: S (a man in his twenties) zegt: „Ik spreek bijna alle talen hier engels, spaans, nederlands, duits noem maar op. ..."
1512-1.22: S (a man in his twenties) zegt: „I'm working on some smoked meat it will give 1000 grams smoked meat so can you help me"

I'm not looking for more discussion about personal responsibility and what would be nice. I'm asking for a clear rule.
Valsum

Postby Valsum » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:09 pm

I think that's a good idea. Would be the equivalent to speaking "Cantrian", so everyone would understand each other. But if we don't want a unified language (like in the German/Spanish breach similar to this one) different languages can lead to interesting RP opportunities, many of them bad IRL, but that could be done in Cantr (for example: "Those next town speak the language of the devil, let's slay them all!") :P
"Opera Dei, plasmatio est hominis" (St. Irenaeus of Lyon)
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:58 am

Pieter de Groote wrote:1512-5.35: S (a man in his twenties) zegt: „Gutentag Heidi, ich sprechen ein bischen Deutsch aber er ist nicht gut. Weiss sie eine stad?"
1512-1.32: S (a man in his twenties) zegt: „Ik spreek bijna alle talen hier engels, spaans, nederlands, duits noem maar op. ..."
1512-1.22: S (a man in his twenties) zegt: „I'm working on some smoked meat it will give 1000 grams smoked meat so can you help me"

I have that character named as Simon with my character there. I just noticed today that it was two characters named Simon in two different towns in the German/Spanish/Dutch amalgam. Methinks it may be the same misguided player? :)

I have to say, I have been having fun with the multilingual exchanges in that town at the moment. Everyone but this particular character is doing a wonderful job of handling the situation it a productive and exciting way. I haven't been so happy about Cantr for quite a while! :D
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”