Road Signposting

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

formerly known as hf

Road Signposting

Postby formerly known as hf » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:05 pm

from the discussion about general amnesia:
hallucinatingfarmer wrote:I like Chris' idea of signposts - would it be very difficult to use the basis of the landmark to create an object named 'signpost' where the creation process is exactly the same, but there's a drop-down field where the direction of pointing can be chosen - it could appear as landmark do, but with just that extra line in the description...
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:26 pm

How about a normal landmark named: "[ssw] to Akypor Airport"?
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:26 pm

Yeah, nice idea :)

Perhaps something that can be set in really any random direction, but you also align it with an exit route? :)

So you can also put a sign in Olip West "Naron, that way" :)
Agar

Postby Agar » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:30 pm

I've never seen more than one land mark in a location, don't know if it's possible to make more than one, but if there is, why not just ... you know, make another landmark saying that?
Reality was never my strong point.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:34 pm

Agar wrote:I've never seen more than one land mark in a location, don't know if it's possible to make more than one, but if there is, why not just ... you know, make another landmark saying that?
:x
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:53 pm

You can have more than one landmark in a location and in my original suggestion I said it could be emulated using landmarks, but landmarks show up on the objects page, not on the locations page where it would make more sense to see a sign post , right by the roads .
It's not a big deal, it's just that you'd see all necessary information when you are about to set off on one page instead of checking in two places.

Of course there is nothing wrong with sign posts pointing the wrong way or having the wrong destinations on them ... :twisted:

This is also going to be useful once free-roaming is introduced as well.
Nick

Postby Nick » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:54 pm

Agar wrote:I've never seen more than one land mark in a location, don't know if it's possible to make more than one, but if there is, why not just ... you know, make another landmark saying that?

Agreed. Once again, Cantr shall freeze over.
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:52 pm

It reminds me of that M*A*S*H signpost showing all the ways home, and how many miles, etc.

The idea of saying how to get from Olip West to Naron isn't ridiculous at all. You could just point to the necessary sea direction (which isn't all that top secret at all in game-or shouldn't be, if one knows how to use the resources made available to them).
Pie

Postby Pie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:11 pm

Well i would say that a sign post would be and arrow pointing in a direction(Ex: you see a signpost pointing to Lavidonchy saying"Alexylad that way") i don't think i spelld it right.. and to they call that city Alexylad, or just the county.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:11 am

We're really gonna need these road sign posts because there is gonna be massive confusion when it comes to travelers once the town names go to default.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:31 pm

Moved this to accepted suggestions ;) ...
Dee

Postby Dee » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:57 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:You can have more than one landmark in a location and in my original suggestion I said it could be emulated using landmarks, but landmarks show up on the objects page, not on the locations page where it would make more sense to see a sign post , right by the roads .
It's not a big deal, it's just that you'd see all necessary information when you are about to set off on one page instead of checking in two places.

Of course there is nothing wrong with sign posts pointing the wrong way or having the wrong destinations on them ... :twisted:

This is also going to be useful once free-roaming is introduced as well.

What is free-roaming?
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:09 pm

Dee wrote:What is free-roaming?

Currently land travel is limited to roads - free-roaming means that people could travel in any direction (similar to how boats work) . It also implies that towns/houses etc could be built anywhere as well , not just at the existing prescribed locations........its a long long long way off but it's mentioned in the roadmap
MrPenguin589

Postby MrPenguin589 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:27 am

Chris Johnson wrote:
Dee wrote:What is free-roaming?

Currently land travel is limited to roads - free-roaming means that people could travel in any direction (similar to how boats work) . It also implies that towns/houses etc could be built anywhere as well , not just at the existing prescribed locations........its a long long long way off but it's mentioned in the roadmap

good thing I check the forums, I was just going to suggest that, as it would be a really good idea. especially for thieves who can have their little hideouts somewhere in the woods... :twisted:
All of my endings are waiting to begin.
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:35 am

It will be much like pirates now, but they can't move.
RAM DISK is not an installation procedure!

Return to “Likely Suggestions”