Diseases

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Frankoniusz

Diseases

Postby Frankoniusz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Suggestion from Polish forum (Buka):

„Diseases

+ Higher usage of healing food and healing mixtures, more opportunities for roleplaying of medic.

This suggestion concerns only big towns (i.e. 30+ people) so it wouldn’t hurt a lonely wanderer or small, poor village. They can also be harmless for sleepers.

Few examples of diseases:

Disease 1
Very contagious, not very harmful.
Symptoms: cough, runny nose, sneezing, sustained a slight weakening
Medicines: Few types of healing food, few types of healing mixture, healing is not instant.
Not healed disease is occuring.

Disease 2
Contagious
Symptoms: Weaking (till 100%), cough, fever.
Medicines: few types of healing food, given healing mixture. Not cured diseases is occring for a year.

Disease 3.
Not very contagious
Symptoms: Constand bleeding (damage over time)
Medicines: Given healing mixture. Eating of healing food heals the damage, but won;t stop the bleeding.
Not cured disease cause NDS and eventually death.

Disease 4.
Rare, if occures: Avarage contagious.
Symptoms: frequent vomiting, lack of ability to eat food.
Medicines: Rest and given healing mixture. Cure after few days.
Not cured disease can cause death by starvation

Disease 5
Not very contagious
Symptoms: Paralysys (As in NDS, but without dropping all the stuff around and without ability to eat food)
Medicines: Given healing mixture drinked for few days in a row.
Not cured disease is occuring.

To have an ability to heal unconcious:
Syringe: Project of giving medicine to sick person. Medicine gives by this method doesn’t heal instantly. Keeping old sleepers alive could be expensive.

Drip: To give food for those, who can’t eat by themselves."
Wolfsong

Re: Diseases

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Additional disease/sickness/illness threads have popped up periodically in Suggestions, but I'm not sure anything has ever been implemented based on them.
Marian

Postby Marian » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:07 am

The sneezing sickness was annoying all around and adding nothing to the game. So no, please don't bring it back in any form.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:46 am

Having not been around for the infamous sneezing sickness and the chat-spam horrors it brought with it, I'd say yes to all of these. Currently, it seems as though a healer's only purpose is for roleplayed injuries (i.e. broken bones, illnesses not suported by mechanics, etc). This would give them a new, more game-mechanics oriented purpose- like healing food. And, like actual diseases, you wouldn't be able to control when you get it, or (to a certain extent) how long you have it for.
On a related note, it might be interesting to also have some way of affecting how likely you are to catch a sickness- face masks, washing your hands… :D
Marian

Postby Marian » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:47 pm

See, you say words like 'interesting' but you fail to take into account all your chars that are already in the midst of interesting things to have to stop what they're doing and go sit alone in a room so as not to spread the sickness. And...seriously, not being able to eat, or not being able to move, or sustaining constant injury? It happens while your char is traveling, or in any place not set up for apothecary mixtures or with exactly the right herbs, or anyplace where the people are too sleepy to help, or while you're on vacation and not logging in, and they're just screwed? These sound fun and interesting?

Well, everybody's got their own opinions, but I'd wager a guess that something like this, requiring a lot of programming and pretty much guaranteed to be hated, has an almost zero % chance of being added in.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:09 pm

The sneezing sickness was pretty annoying, but I think that has value as a feature. The worst thing about it was the boring and isolating cure. This proposal fixes that, and should give plenty of motivation not only for new consumable resources, but also for RP professions. I would like to see some new medicines, and some cures from poisons which have consequences too.

However, I strongly object to death from disease, or even weakness to the point of combat disadvantage. It’s unnecessary for the proposal (as evidenced by old drama regarding the sneezes), and worse, would adversely affect the wrong group of chars. A proposal like this, which may inspire new infrastructure and production, could add interest to the game for established, rich towns, where stagnation sets in without challenges. But deadly disease would bring unreasonable challenges to the same group of chars always unfairly targeted by disaster/reset/destruction proposals, i.e. explorers, developing regions, primitive chars, and newspawns, who have less access to the infrastructure and resources for cures (and without adding any more interest for rich chars). Diseases should in effect be a luxury, and the cures should be expensive. Restricting them to larger populations isn’t a solution, as the feature should be available to all language zones, not all of which have cities (and how to stop it from spreading through sailors?).

I would like to see diseases generating Event lines such as sneezing and coughing, as well as some Description lines such as rashes, jaundice, or boils. I want them spread not just by proximity but also by specific deliberate behaviour such as whispers (something like STDs), or eating raw rice. This should be more than enough to motivate most chars to find a cure, without unfairly tying the hands of those who have better things to do or can’t afford it.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:32 pm

Marian wrote:See, you say words like 'interesting' but you fail to take into account all your chars that are already in the midst of interesting things to have to stop what they're doing and go sit alone in a room so as not to spread the sickness. And...seriously, not being able to eat, or not being able to move, or sustaining constant injury? It happens while your char is traveling, or in any place not set up for apothecary mixtures or with exactly the right herbs, or anyplace where the people are too sleepy to help, or while you're on vacation and not logging in, and they're just screwed? These sound fun and interesting?

Well, everybody's got their own opinions, but I'd wager a guess that something like this, requiring a lot of programming and pretty much guaranteed to be hated, has an almost zero % chance of being added in.

I believe that the original post said something about having to be in a town with quite a few people in order to catch a disease.

Frankoniusz wrote:This suggestion concerns only big towns (i.e. 30+ people) so it wouldn’t hurt a lonely wanderer or small, poor village. They can also be harmless for sleepers.

Additionally- yes, I do think this idea sounds fun and interesting. In terms of game mechanics, I see this as being similar to animal attacks- you can't control when they happen, or how much harm they do. All you can do is hope to "cure" (heal) the wounds sustained, or just avoid the thing causing you harm (animals or people, respectively) like the plague. This is also why I think that there should be some sort of item that acts as a variable in regards to how likely you are to get the disease.

sanchez wrote:However, I strongly object to death from disease, or even weakness to the point of combat disadvantage. It’s unnecessary for the proposal (as evidenced by old drama regarding the sneezes), and worse, would adversely affect the wrong group of chars. A proposal like this, which may inspire new infrastructure and production, could add interest to the game for established, rich towns, where stagnation sets in without challenges. But deadly disease would bring unreasonable challenges to the same group of chars always unfairly targeted by disaster/reset/destruction proposals, i.e. explorers, developing regions, primitive chars, and newspawns, who have less access to the infrastructure and resources for cures (and without adding any more interest for rich chars). Diseases should in effect be a luxury, and the cures should be expensive. Restricting them to larger populations isn’t a solution, as the feature should be available to all language zones, not all of which have cities (and how to stop it from spreading through sailors?).

I would like to see diseases generating Event lines such as sneezing and coughing, as well as some Description lines such as rashes, jaundice, or boils. I want them spread not just by proximity but also by specific deliberate behaviour such as whispers (something like STDs), or eating raw rice. This should be more than enough to motivate most chars to find a cure, without unfairly tying the hands of those who have better things to do or can’t afford it.

I'd agree with more or less all of this. Sanchez took the words right out of my mouth.

A proposal like this, which may inspire new infrastructure and production, could add interest to the game for established, rich towns, where stagnation sets in without challenges.
andrzejek

Postby andrzejek » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:55 pm

:+1:
prometheus

Postby prometheus » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:05 am

Yes, Sanchez has summed it up quite nicely and it is, I think, the only way diseases could really be implemented in the game without crippling new/poor/exploring characters.
Plus, you could have plagues, town-wide quarantines, it spreading via sailors, so towns close their ports...which ship-traders respond to by stocking and selling the cure.
I think it should be almost entirely harmless unless let's say, you're in a town, and 80%+ people also have the disease. Once it starts reaching critical mass, perhaps it could be damaging then? It would give towns incentive to cure people, and would show who the truly important people are (leaving the poorer townspeople to be sick longer, etc). One way the disease could be spread is the same way you can 'overhear' a whisper. The Diseased can do a check every so often on every person around them "Will I make you sick" and they have to roll a certain number, the likelihood of which is effected by other things, like tiredness, health, hunger, and even other diseases (more likely to get sick if you have open weeping wounds).
But maybe roll it out in stages, to make sure it works as hoped for. And to get chars acclimated to medicine and doctoring. (Would we need a new 'medical' or 'medicinal' skill??)
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Bump!

Let’s have more discussion about this, but the idea in general is a good one.

We do need more uses for healing foods in the game, without incentivising combat. However no disease should be fatal or even severe, and I think it’s important in general to consider how to concentrate most of the effects in cities, where they are both most needed and most able to be accomodated.

What we need to consider are:
1. How are diseases spread:
    through whispers
    randomly in locations
    eating certain raw foods

2. What are the effects of diseases:
    event lines such as sneezes
    description lines such as jaundice or boils
    certain skills caps
    minor damage
    tiredness
    event page formatting (memory errors)
    speaking only in whispers

3. What are cures for diseases:
    healing foods
    resting projects
    isolation from other chars

Ideas?
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:11 pm

I remember suggesting once to get disease while visiting solitary locations like swamps because of the water, mosquitos, etc.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face."
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:52 pm

Maybe every island can have its own disease and then it can be contracted to visitors, plus it will give the illness roleplayers an actual illness to sneeze over.

Watch it spread like the Spanish flu
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:23 am

I actually really like the idea of island specific diseases. It could be Cantr's version of Pokemon Go! Gotta catch 'em all!
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:38 am

I think it would be good if people developed an immunity once they've had it once, until a new strain develops. That would prevent it from being passed back and forth like the sneezing sickness. It would be good if wearing a face mask could prevent infection. Something could also be prevented by wearing gloves.
Not-so-sad panda
witia1

Postby witia1 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:32 pm

I would love to see it implemented, but without serious implications. Why?
Because Cantr is kinda getting desolated and I would love to see surviving in these world much harder but these is many characters that live alone far from others. If disease would be crippling to them they could be even not able to find any help. Maybe more serious later if people would get used to them but still I would prefer all them being self cured if having proper medicines.
Rest In Pieces.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”