Fixing the Front Page (English Version)

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SekoETC

Re: Fixing the Front Page (English Version)

Postby SekoETC » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:50 am

I think the tutorial island gives a poor image of what you can expect from Cantr. You can't really do anything, you can't even build a bone knife, so you can't make a hammer and thus can't build anything. All you can do is gather and point at things.
Not-so-sad panda
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:17 am

Wolfsong wrote:If someone had told me I could "Be the village dumb" on Cantr, I would have hit the ground running in the opposite direction.

The text about the most beloved village idiot is most likely from the original front page from 2003 ;)

I like most of the changes.
Getting such videos can take time, so the last sentence cannot be included for now. I have no opinion whether these videos are the good idea or not. I think it'd need to see a few first.

One thing is the position of the registration button, which is correct in my opinion. The front page should be directed mostly for new people. There's no need to convince already registered people, as they just need to log in.
I wouldn't hide registration link in the sidebar, but maybe having them in both locations would work?

As a side note, some words describing things I find important in Cantr:
text-based
slow-paced
role-playing
cooperation with others
one huge multilingual world (but it doesn't explain why Cantr's multilinguality is different from other games, where you don't interact as much and just use google translate)
open world
crafting system (otherwise people may assume Cantr is just a kind of chat)
freedom of choice like in sandbox

Moving to accepted. If there won't be any new comments (on topic), then I'll change the texts.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:28 am

I'm fine with the phrase "village idiot" - that's perfectly legitimate. "Be the village dumb" however, doesn't translate the same way and makes no sense in English. That was my problem with the video - it's full of translations that don't quite work in English.

Both locations for the registration link could work. I have no problem with that, I suppose.
Marian

Postby Marian » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:58 am

I'm going to admit here that I've never actually sat down and watched the video until now. That's not the page I keep bookmarked, because I don't like all the clutter, especially when I'm logging in on my phone.

So, I just clicked it out of curiosity...and, uh, no offense to whoever made it, I know they meant well. But the English is just...not good. Perfectly fine for a fan thing made to show support of the game, but as an advertisement smack dab in the middle of the front page, it's implied to be what the people running the game consider a professional effort. And honestly, I'm pretty sure I never would have started playing at all if that had been my first impression. Especially in something calling itself a text game. If or until the video can't be improved or replaced I honestly think the site would be better off dropping it all together.

Freedom. Betrayal. Action. Mature. < -- some of these things are not like the others...

And I know we've covered 'the village dumb' but weird, awkward phrasing is all over the place.

Be the good?

The clever of the neighborhood?

Born. Learn. And Die.

'Is not a war game' ...and really that entire lists of 'Is nots..." And then in addition to that there's a typo 'in not a kill game'

'Create until 15 characters.' :?:

'Shapes their minds.'

This is all making my inner grammar nerd so, soooo twitchy and tense.
Kyriel

Postby Kyriel » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:17 am

Marian wrote:'Is not a war game'

... while set to the song "This Is War".
Marian

Postby Marian » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:22 am

Kyriel wrote:
Marian wrote:'Is not a war game'

... while set to the song "This Is War".

:lol: I didn't even catch that.

But seriously, if another video is made, I hope whoever it is posts what they're intending to include in it on the forum first, to let us all get out our red markers.

And in addition to just a list of info about what the game is flashing by, it would be nice if it could include a mockup of an actual conversation, a trade or something complete with a bit of RP and maybe some of the random little things you see like somebody pillow fighting or hunting in the background. Just to give people an idea of what actually playing the game entails. The current video has a section showing the interface but it's tiny and would be meaningless to someone who doesn't know what they're looking at.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:44 am

Marian wrote:I'm going to admit here that I've never actually sat down and watched the video until now. That's not the page I keep bookmarked, because I don't like all the clutter, especially when I'm logging in on my phone.

You mean the page the politely ask you not to bookmark? I wonder how many people listen to that request. I can't be bothered with the clutter either, considering the game doesn't keep you logged in like the forums do.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Kyriel

Postby Kyriel » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:47 am

In my humble opinion, a video advertisement for a text-based game might just be aiming at the wrong crowd. :)
Marian

Postby Marian » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:33 am

*Wiro wrote:
Marian wrote:I'm going to admit here that I've never actually sat down and watched the video until now. That's not the page I keep bookmarked, because I don't like all the clutter, especially when I'm logging in on my phone.

You mean the page the politely ask you not to bookmark? I wonder how many people listen to that request. I can't be bothered with the clutter either, considering the game doesn't keep you logged in like the forums do.

The main page is annoying to use on a phone, okay. :oops: And even on the computer, it feels like the login box is on the wrong side.

What's the problem with bookmarking the other one anyway, never could figure out why it would be an issue.
Spillages

Postby Spillages » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:12 am

Marian wrote:
*Wiro wrote:

The main page is annoying to use on a phone, okay. :oops: And even on the computer, it feels like the login box is on the wrong side.

What's the problem with bookmarking the other one anyway, never could figure out why it would be an issue.

Advertising. Cantr gets money every time there is an extra page load
silence is golden;
DUCT TAPE IS SILVER!
iavatus

Postby iavatus » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:11 am

05/2015 Advertisements 0,00

Uhhhh, haven't been ads since 10/2014.

I know with time ads become invisible, but this is extra strength invisible. Emperors new invisibility cloak style invisible.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”