Default Sailing Speed at 100% instead of 0

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

100% preset to save on clicks?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 44
bnlphan

Default Sailing Speed at 100% instead of 0

Postby bnlphan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Just a small suggestion to save on clicks, especially for those of us that play via phones.

Would it be possible to preset the sailing speed default to 100% instead of 0. So you just have to put in direction and number of turns?

Otherwise nothing would change as 0 turns would still be sitting still.
Mastering the fine art of sleepworking
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Re: Default Sailing Speed at 100% instead of 0

Postby sherman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Definitely yes for this! And sometimes you just forget to change it and notice day later that you have not moved..
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:08 pm

No. Because chances are then, that if I send a character out just to fish (especially if I was doing it on my phone) that I'd forget to set speed to 0 :|

Also, by this:

...are you saying that not setting a number of turns means not moving anywhere? Because that is wrong, 0 turns means the ship continues to move until it hits a coast or you change speed to 0.
So, if you sent someone out to fish, or were wanting to dock smaller boats to your raker and the person helping you dozed off for a day...you could end up stupidly far away...not good.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Snowdrop wrote:No. Because chances are then, that if I send a character out just to fish (especially if I was doing it on my phone) that I'd forget to set speed to 0 :|

Also, by this:

...are you saying that not setting a number of turns means not moving anywhere? Because that is wrong, 0 turns means the ship continues to move until it hits a coast or you change speed to 0.
So, if you sent someone out to fish, or were wanting to dock smaller boats to your raker and the person helping you dozed off for a day...you could end up stupidly far away...not good.

That's not what this suggestion is. It's about the default input when changing the sailing speed/direction/turns. Currently that's 0, but how often do you want to change the sailing direction at speed 0? That should rarely ever occur. When you're fishing at a lake you don't have a reason to mess with the sailing direction, so it shouldn't come up at all.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:40 pm

I think this is a good idea. Currently the speed is automatically set to whatever speed the boat is currently in, and that's 0 when you first undock. Would we want the speed to always automatically be set to 100 when you're editing the direction and going at speed 0? Having this feature only apply when you first undock may be difficult.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Snowdrop wrote:No. Because chances are then, that if I send a character out just to fish (especially if I was doing it on my phone) that I'd forget to set speed to 0 :|

That wouldn't be an issue here. When first undocking, this wouldn't happen. The suggestion would take effect only when the direction of travel is changed.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:25 pm

We could use a button that says "100% speed" like we have for filling in <CANTR CHARDESC> and keep the rest of the page the same.
Joshuamonkey

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Snickie wrote:We could use a button that says "100% speed" like we have for filling in <CANTR CHARDESC> and keep the rest of the page the same.

Perhaps, but I feel like that would defeat the purpose, if it isn't much more effort to just enter 100.
Or we could have a separate submit button that automatically changes the speed to 100, so you'd only have to press one button.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Would it be possible to have a customisable set of default settings for speed and number of ticks, either by player, by character or by boat? So you can change it once to what you yourself will use most often and then just pick the direction or make changes when the situations not as usual, but people who like it as-is can leave it as-is.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Alternatives are unnecessary. There are practically no situations where you want to change the direction but keep the speed at 0.
Read about my characters by following this link.
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Oh I agree completely, it's just it looks like there are detractors and if there's a way to keep everyone happy we might as well try and find it.
Joshuamonkey

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:42 pm

*Wiro wrote:Alternatives are unnecessary. There are practically no situations where you want to change the direction but keep the speed at 0.

In that case it seems like having the speed set to 100 automatically when changing direction/speed while the boat is at 0 would work fine, even when it's not right after undocking. This should also be easy to implement.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:41 am

ObsessedWithCats wrote:Would it be possible to have a customisable set of default settings for speed and number of ticks, either by player, by character or by boat? So you can change it once to what you yourself will use most often and then just pick the direction or make changes when the situations not as usual, but people who like it as-is can leave it as-is.

:shock: I'd never come up with something like that. Let's keep simple things simple. Otherwise it won't get implemented in any form.
I think it's rare to visit the form about sailing speed just to confirm that nothing should be changed.

Moving to accepted.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
witia1

Postby witia1 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:54 pm

*shovels out some dust of topic* Kindly please?
Rest In Pieces.
raspberrytea

Postby raspberrytea » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:35 am

*gently nudges this topic*

Return to “Likely Suggestions”