Set pack of animals to eat from a specified container

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you want this?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 23
*Wiro

Set pack of animals to eat from a specified container

Postby *Wiro » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:25 pm

I suggest a simple addition to the animal page where domesticated animal packs can be set to eat from a specific container. Currently all domesticated animals eat from the same containers which makes it hard to have two different people keeping separate animals.
Last edited by *Wiro on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read about my characters by following this link.
kicking jay

Re: Set pack of animals to eat from a specified container

Postby kicking jay » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 pm

*Wiro wrote:I suggest a simple addition to the animal page where domesticated animal packs can be set to eat from a specific container. Currently all domesticated animals eat from the same containers which makes it hard to have two different people keeping separate animals.

Hear ye, hear ye. +1 vote.
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:50 pm

It's not just that. This would also help with keeping different types of animals and assigning them a specific type of feed.

My extensive complaints about this can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=26067

This suggestion sounds like a simple solution to my domesticated animals woes (looking after 7 types of animals with one char).

Also, polls are your friend. Use them.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Yes I noticed one unnamed animal ate two types of feed. One expensive, one cheap. It ate both kinds of feed at the same amount so it would be preferable to make it only have access to the cheap stuff while the expensive stuff is for animals with no alternative.

Added a poll.
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:58 pm

Very good idea. :)
I think ...
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:19 pm

I just thought of something. Animals eating other animal food is a pretty realistic sort of problem, until animal pens could be used for specific species, at least. But if different types of animals were set to eat at different times of day, vegetable feed could be put out for the first feeding period, and after that meat feed could be put out for the next feeding period.
I think this would work, but a more elegant solution which would work well along-side it is, as I hinted, animal-specific pens with troughs inside the pens, like on real farms. (Or so I assume. My only farm experience is, as a kid, looking at the illustration on the cover of Charlott's Web)
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Swingerzetta wrote:I just thought of something. Animals eating other animal food is a pretty realistic sort of problem, until animal pens could be used for specific species, at least. But if different types of animals were set to eat at different times of day, vegetable feed could be put out for the first feeding period, and after that meat feed could be put out for the next feeding period.
I think this would work, but a more elegant solution which would work well along-side it is, as I hinted, animal-specific pens with troughs inside the pens, like on real farms. (Or so I assume. My only farm experience is, as a kid, looking at the illustration on the cover of Charlott's Web)

I don't disagree, but this is a simple and elegant solution that more or less plays out in the same way. After all progd time is limited so it usually helps to keep suggestions as small as possible.
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:38 pm

If I'm keeping different type of feed in different type of containers, would you not say that I'm keeping my birds together, by the plate that's full of meat feed, my pigs by the trough and other animals by my basket/duffel etc?

I do think that this is a simple solution, and does not need any unnecessary complications.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:19 pm

Of course it does. It means you have to get on more often to micromanage when you put down what food, and this is supposed to be a slow-paced game where you don't have to do that kind of stuff.

(I really don't care at this point; I'm just pointing out a potential argument. It doesn't actually bother me.)
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Snickie wrote:Of course it does. It means you have to get on more often to micromanage when you put down what food, and this is supposed to be a slow-paced game where you don't have to do that kind of stuff.

(I really don't care at this point; I'm just pointing out a potential argument. It doesn't actually bother me.)

While I understand it's a hypothetical argument, I'm not sure I understand. No functionality is changed in how often they need to be fed. It can be made as complicated or as simple as the player desires.
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm

This suggestion requires less micromanaging than I already am having to do. It is an improvement over the current situation. An easy scenario would be the ability to chuck all sorts of feed into a trough/bag/whatever and let it allow certain animals to have certain type of feed. I doubt that's possible.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:32 pm

Chroma Key wrote:This suggestion requires less micromanaging than I already am having to do. It is an improvement over the current situation. An easy scenario would be the ability to chuck all sorts of feed into a trough/bag/whatever and let it allow certain animals to have certain type of feed. I doubt that's possible.

If one animal eats two types of food, it eats the one of which there is the most (since it's on top of the list in a container). It sucks but it's something.
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Unfortunately that is not correct. It would have helped a lot if that had been the case. All my woes arose out of the pigs eating the meat feed instead of the veg feed, which was in abundance, whereas there was far less meat feed in the trough.

I checked that once again this morning, and it was 200 grams of meat feed down the drain (or the pigs' throats). :roll:

Return to “Likely Suggestions”