Chains and handcuffs

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SekoETC

Chains and handcuffs

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:19 pm

This has been suggested before but this is a new approach to it. They could only be put on a person either if the person consents or if they are in near death state. That would remove the hassle of somebody slapping chains on a random unsuspecting person while they're sleeping.

Functionality:

Handcuffs would make it impossible to change the direction or alter the speed of a vehicle, and might make the person work less efficiently on projects.

Shackles would limit walking speed and maybe impose some limit on entering buildings, either by preventing it altogether or limiting it to one door an hour.

Ball and chain would prevent leaving the current location altogether and the person could only be moved by dragging, but they'd be heavier by the weight of the ball, or maybe even more because I doubt the ball could use more than say 5 kilos of iron but that wouldn't affect dragging much.

Worn chains would be visible on character description page.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Re: Chains and handcuffs

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:26 pm

I approve!
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:16 am

Oh hey! This is something I wanted to suggest and then forgot about. I like the details you've come up with, with the different types, though.
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:47 am

Love it!!! :)
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:19 am

+1
:D
No complaints.

What are we looking at for their manufacture in terms of resources, tools, time, and skillset?
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:15 am

Don't forget to implement some way of getting rid of the chains & handcuffs, given time and the right tools. I hate chars being limited by others without any chance of escape whatsoever.
I think ...
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:30 am

A file would be the obvious choice for that. That's how people escape from handcuffs in the comic books, at least.
Xander

Postby Xander » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Sounds good to me.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:54 pm

I think using a file to break handcuffs should be like breaking a lock with a screwdriver, so that it couldn't fail but would take at least a day, maybe day and a half. I was also thinking that there could be a lockpick object that would leave the lock unharmed and just unlock it.

Handcuffs would be pretty light, 500 grams at most, made of steel, take a peen hammer and screwdriver to make. They would naturally come with a lock, like vehicles.

Shackles would be heavier, maybe 1000 grams, either steel or iron. Steel is probably better. They would take the same tools to make as the handcuffs.

Ball and chain, the chain could be made of iron and wouldn't be very heavy, maybe 500 grams, but the ball would be very heavy, so I'd suggest 5000 grams of iron. That would be quite an investment. There could maybe be a cinderblock version that would use like 12000 grams of stone.
Not-so-sad panda
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:13 pm

How do you imagine locking and unlocking an item you're not holding yourself? Are there mechanics for that yet?
Maybe it could show up in a char's description page, with a lock/unlock button besides it?
Can a char that obtains a key of the handcuffs he's wearing unlock it immediately, or would that require a project? (I'd say unlocking your own handcuffs could take, for example, an hour or so, as it's not so easy to do, I guess. (no, I don't have any personal experience with that :wink: )

I do really like the idea! :mrgreen:
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:28 pm

Resurrection of the old lockpicking kit? :p

I like it.
Having just returned to the game again, this would fit in great with all these cages and windows, and the whole near-death deal.
Perfect.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:37 am

Bmot wrote:How do you imagine locking and unlocking an item you're not holding yourself? Are there mechanics for that yet?

Containers can be locked from the outside. Of course it would need to be modified to work on people.
Not-so-sad panda
Tyson

Postby Tyson » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:50 pm

You can put handcuffs and shackles on one person at same time? If yes, love it.
Else... well, still approve it :D
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:42 pm

This is neat, I like it.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Should I add a poll?
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Likely Suggestions”