Tools in repair

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you want this

Yes
95%
No
No votes
I do not care
5%

Total votes: 19
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Tools in repair

Postby Bmot » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:00 pm

I'd be really really really really grateful, if it would be possible to see which tools on the ground are in a repair project, and which ones aren't. Is this possible? Anyone agree with me? (Could be the same as machines now get marked as 'in use')
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Chroma Key

Re: Tools in repair

Postby Chroma Key » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Yes!!! :)
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:39 pm

if they get marked as in use, would that prevent them from being used if they are needed?

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Sunni Daez wrote:if they get marked as in use, would that prevent them from being used if they are needed?

Hmm, difficult one.

I don't like the idea of a tool being in repair and being used in another project at the same time. On the other hand, I do think it should be available to be used when no one's working on the repair project...

Anyway, for now, I'd say no, so the situation stays the same, just a little notice that it's in the project.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:48 pm

So, like you'd now see:

Press (in use)

You can then also see:

An often-used fishing pole (in repair)

Or, even:

An old iron bucket (in use) (in repair)
Yang

Postby Yang » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Such (in repair) would be very usefull also in inventory. My character have a lot of tools and he put them in the container. Sometimes he put somethig that is under repair. So he need take it back from container to make some progress. If there are more same tools then he need take it all and put back one by one to check if its right tool. So if there would be in repair signature than it would be easy.

But tool can be repaired in many different places and all projects would be started there. So maybe in repair would be only if this tool is in same location as repair project?
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Yang wrote:Such (in repair) would be very usefull also in inventory. My character have a lot of tools and he put them in the container. Sometimes he put somethig that is under repair. So he need take it back from container to make some progress. If there are more same tools then he need take it all and put back one by one to check if its right tool. So if there would be in repair signature than it would be easy.

But tool can be repaired in many different places and all projects would be started there. So maybe in repair would be only if this tool is in same location as repair project?

Currently a tool in repair in the inventory will not have the repair button available to it, but only in the location where the repair project was started. In other locations the button is available to start a new repair project on the same tool.

So it isn't -needed- to add (in repair) in the inventory, but the extra visibility would help prevent mistakes, and I would assume it would only show up when the repair button is gone (in the location where the repair was started).
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:54 pm

I'd rather use different text for objects in repair. "in use" can be ambiguous.

I think idea is good and worth implementing for objects on the ground.
Moving to accepted.

Yang wrote:Such (in repair) would be very usefull also in inventory. My character have a lot of tools and he put them in the container. Sometimes he put somethig that is under repair.

It wouldn't make sense to show which object is in repair, because currently it's notified only when repaired object is near enough to perform repairing (in the same location or in inventory of char in the same location as repair project). Objects in container aren't near enough, so it should never be notified.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’

Return to “Likely Suggestions”