Generate An Event When Vehicle Speed Is Adjusted.

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Visible Speed Adjustment In Vehicles?

Yes.
89%
No.
11%
No opinion.
No votes

Total votes: 27
Chroma Key

Generate An Event When Vehicle Speed Is Adjusted.

Postby Chroma Key » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:45 pm

I find it annoying that if you are travelling with someone and they fiddle with the controls you have no idea until the next travel tick (or even much later) unless you manually check. Or, you slow down the vehicle to follow others' pace then may forget having done so when it's time to speed up again. We can see a ship's speed being adjusted, so why not the other vehicles?
What do you think?
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Re: Generate An Event When Vehicle Speed Is Adjusted.

Postby Snickie » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:49 am

I think it should be visible to everyone inside the vehicle, but that's all.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Agree with Snickie. I'm not particularly in favor but if it must be implemented then people outside of the vehicle should not be able to see it.

People walking should not show a message at all. I know it's not part of the suggestion but I want to address it since it's all land travel.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Yes, I should have clarified, an event to be generated for the passengers only, and I agree regarding the walking speed. You can already see when someone turns around and that's good enough for me.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:43 am

I don't get it. why not have vehicle speed be announced to those outside the vehicle, too? I can certainly see when a real car turns around, or if a person suddenly stops walking.

I'd have taken this the other way and suggested that, as well as vehicle speed events, people coming into and exiting hearing range should have events too. No more strangers passing eachother on the road without even knowing they walked by each other.
cjace68

Postby cjace68 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:05 am

Swingerzetta wrote:I don't get it. why not have vehicle speed be announced to those outside the vehicle, too? I can certainly see when a real car turns around, or if a person suddenly stops walking.

I'd have taken this the other way and suggested that, as well as vehicle speed events, people coming into and exiting hearing range should have events too. No more strangers passing eachother on the road without even knowing they walked by each other.

The way the game is currently set up, that makes it more difficult to escape someone who might be chasing you. Instead of being able to make sharp twists and turns, or hide behind a tree, or jump through nearby woods to conceal ourselves, we get to change speeds without people seeing, for a slim chance that we can escape whoever is pursuing us.

Doing it your way would make the game even more unbalanced than it already is.
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:04 am

cjace68 wrote:
Swingerzetta wrote:I don't get it. why not have vehicle speed be announced to those outside the vehicle, too? I can certainly see when a real car turns around, or if a person suddenly stops walking.

The way the game is currently set up, that makes it more difficult to escape someone who might be chasing you. Instead of being able to make sharp twists and turns, or hide behind a tree, or jump through nearby woods to conceal ourselves, we get to change speeds without people seeing, for a slim chance that we can escape whoever is pursuing us.

I don't see things as being all that unbalanced as it is, but our opinions on this matter aren't important here. I see now why you made the comments you did. From that point of view, it makes perfect sense. (Although I think it would be pretty great if someone tried hiding behind a tree just through roleplay, and it worked. But what are the chances of that?)
cjace68

Postby cjace68 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:04 am

Swingerzetta wrote:
cjace68 wrote:

I don't see things as being all that unbalanced as it is, but our opinions on this matter aren't important here. I see now why you made the comments you did. From that point of view, it makes perfect sense. (Although I think it would be pretty great if someone tried hiding behind a tree just through roleplay, and it worked. But what are the chances of that?)

The chances are close to 0. Although, I must admit, I've been thinking about the slim chance of escape that changing the speed silently provides. And my guess is that this feature was added to the game a long time ago, back when not everyone was carrying around a smart phone. Nowadays this slim chance has become even slimmer as a result of wide spread smartphone use. This is only a guess, I could be wrong, I'm a new player, but I've done the math, and the game has been around for at least 11 years, if you look at the number of cantr days that have gone by.

The game is unbalanced. But yes, this isn't the thread for talking about it.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Moving to accepted.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Greek, can you please clarify what has been accepted? Is it going to create an event for everyone within range to see or only those inside the vehicle?

It figures that right after I originally posted in this thread I ran into a situation where two chars disagreed on the car's speed and I sneakily changed it back. I'm going to miss having that ability.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown

Return to “Likely Suggestions”