Turn-based combat

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you like this idea?

Yes
80%
No
18%
Undecided (Please list reasoning for discussion purposes)
3%

Total votes: 74
catwill

Re: Turn-based combat

Postby catwill » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:00 pm

I'm voting yes and hoping I don't live to regret it. My chars are peaceful souls with rarely an ocassion to fight.
And when I walk I'm a cyclone
You should see it get rolling
Open my heart and emotions rip out of me
My emotions rip out of me

-Liz Phair
Hedgedhogst

Postby Hedgedhogst » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:29 pm

Because none of my characters have really been fighters, and I've never experienced the math... Does this mean it would be possible to kill a character, 1 vs 1, in a few minutes? Or at least leave them in NDS... I mean, if I'm not mistaken, worst case (or best case) scenario, two lucky shots missing a shield can do over 50% damage and kill a character, right? Or am I missing something real big here?

This could potentially be used as another way of suicide, interestingly. Find a guy, piss him off, and slap him until your character is good and dead. Quicker than poison OR starvation. Wait, does this mean hitting yourself would make it possible to hit yourself again straight afterwards? That would be an even more convenient way of committing suicide, to everyone else's dismay.
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Hedgedhogst wrote:Because none of my characters have really been fighters, and I've never experienced the math... Does this mean it would be possible to kill a character, 1 vs 1, in a few minutes? Or at least leave them in NDS... I mean, if I'm not mistaken, worst case (or best case) scenario, two lucky shots missing a shield can do over 50% damage and kill a character, right? Or am I missing something real big here?

This could potentially be used as another way of suicide, interestingly. Find a guy, piss him off, and slap him until your character is good and dead. Quicker than poison OR starvation. Wait, does this mean hitting yourself would make it possible to hit yourself again straight afterwards? That would be an even more convenient way of committing suicide, to everyone else's dismay.

Yeah I didn't consider that, but I don't think that's necessarily a problem, however, if it is then you can always make it so that you can't kill yourself that fast.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:05 pm

Suicide is overwhelmingly wanted, so if I can chop myself up, that's a win for suicide and a win for the programmers that now don't have to program it. Kills two birds with one stone.

Don't forget that tiredness still applies here. You can only effectively attack three times before you're too tired to make it worth it, so sure, it's possible you could kill someone in one "series" of attacks, but limited to three useful hits, you'd have to pretty much bypass their shield every time if you're a normal fighter.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Hedgedhogst

Postby Hedgedhogst » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Doug R. wrote:Suicide is overwhelmingly wanted, so if I can chop myself up, that's a win for suicide and a win for the programmers that now don't have to program it. Kills two birds with one stone.

Don't forget that tiredness still applies here. You can only effectively attack three times before you're too tired to make it worth it, so sure, it's possible you could kill someone in one "series" of attacks, but limited to three useful hits, you'd have to pretty much bypass their shield every time if you're a normal fighter.

I've just changed my vote from 'no' to 'yes'. I'm liking this a heck of a lot now.
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:11 pm

Thousand times yes. I thought about something similar many times, but I was thinking that no combat change can be accepted.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
freiana

Postby freiana » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:26 pm

I've been moved to yes, too... Although I see some downsides, the current system has downsides too, and probably this is just the best way of improving the system possible right now.
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:44 am

freiana wrote:I've been moved to yes, too... Although I see some downsides, the current system has downsides too, and probably this is just the best way of improving the system possible right now.

Mind elaborating on what you believe the down sides would be? We might be able to figure out a solution if we put our heads together. xD
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:21 am

I'd be willing to give this a shot.
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
freiana

Postby freiana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:04 pm

JsWill wrote:
freiana wrote:I've been moved to yes, too... Although I see some downsides, the current system has downsides too, and probably this is just the best way of improving the system possible right now.

Mind elaborating on what you believe the down sides would be? We might be able to figure out a solution if we put our heads together. xD

The main thing is that with this system RL things can influence the RP -very- much, because if I am nearly going to bed, I will not strike back, because he could hit me again in my sleep. In the current system that was never a problem: You cannot influence when he/she hits again. I don't want my chars doing something else than fits their personality or strategy, because I have to sleep...
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
Cantryjczyk

Postby Cantryjczyk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Yes! Great idea. I was suggesting and advocating exactly this too, few times already. But was calmed down, because changing fighting system always was discouraged and considered as very unlikely move.

Just imagine what new possible ways to role playing it gives. Duels that doesn't take weeks. Or two angry womens that fight over something silly using cooking tools not once a day, but until they both are to tired to do anything. New drama! New tactical choices. Possibility for speeding action up without hurting people who don't play so often. I see only positive changes if this suggestion will be implemented.

Just two small additional proposals since main already require changing fighting mechanics:
- make it impossible to attack or hunt if char is to tired (like more then 90% tiredness) - reducing spam attacks
- make it so that attacking own body don't reset timer, it would be to easy to train fighting skill alone or commit suicide

After this change you can be killed faster. But every time you give some opportunity to hit you often then before change, you do so by own action, attack, and you have time to hide, heal, talk etc before attacking. So you attack back only when you think you are ready and fighting is what you want and are prepared for. Logical and great.
Każdy ma swój punkt widzenia, ale nie każdy z niego coś widzi.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:47 pm

+1 to preventing attacking when tiredness is too high, although I would set it at 100% instead of 90%.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:25 pm

I disagree with disabling this for suicide. It's one of the reasons I like it. Remember, tiredness still applies! You're not going to be able to kill yourself in a day, because you'll be too tired -and- hurt to do it! Same for sparring. There's little benefit to sparring when more than 45% tired. I've seen the formula.

I agree with preventing 100% tiredness spam attacks, though.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:44 am

freiana wrote:
JsWill wrote:

The main thing is that with this system RL things can influence the RP -very- much, because if I am nearly going to bed, I will not strike back, because he could hit me again in my sleep. In the current system that was never a problem: You cannot influence when he/she hits again. I don't want my chars doing something else than fits their personality or strategy, because I have to sleep...

I don't think it would change much from now really. I mean if you choose not to attack back then just don't attack back and things will pick up where they left off before you went to sleep. Plus I think you're forgetting that tiredness plays into the matter as well, as Doug said you can only attack so many times before you get too tired to attack anymore. If anything in my opinion this increases the role play possibilities, it doesn't stagnate it and it doesn't necessarily influence it unless you choose to allow it.

I don't feel you should let this discourage you from role playing the same way you always have and I don't think anyone will be disappointed with you holding off on a battle until you wake up.

@doug, I totally agree with everything you just said. :p
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:29 am

I have changed my vote. This is a very good idea.
I have a question, though. Currently, we are able to attack someone at full strength even if you are 100% tired. Now, I can just see a char of mine devoting a year of his time to spar with himself to maximise his skill in fighting. Attack himself 7 times in an hour (using up all his strength), rest an hour, get his tiredness below 100%, attack again and rest again, and so on and so forth. Now, the damage he may or not be able to cause is not the issue here. However, this seems to allow him a hell lot of an advantage at the expense of his tiredness (and the natural consequences such as being unable to work effectively, etc). From what I understand, it is the strength of the attack that allows you to maximise your skill (and strength) - the harder the attack, the higher the skill points added to your existing points. I am not sure if the constant tiredness is a good trade off for chars emerging as msta expert fighters after a year's (insert another number depending on how low/high their skill already is) incapacity. I don't really have a stand on this point, what do people think?
Personal note: 70% of my chars are msta. 60% are expert fighters and 40% are msta expert fighters. I would not really need to undertake the above practise extensively myself.
Edit: I've just seen the solution offered to that by JSWill. If you prevent self attack "resetting the timer", doesn't that totally take the option of sparring with yourself out of the equation? I would not like that. Would it be able to be limited in another way?
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."

Return to “Likely Suggestions”