Turn-based combat

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you like this idea?

Yes
80%
No
18%
Undecided (Please list reasoning for discussion purposes)
3%

Total votes: 74
JsWill

Turn-based combat

Postby JsWill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:09 pm

So I wanted to suggest making a slight change to the combat system. I feel like combat is a bit... Slow and maybe that's how people like it? I just think it's strange that if you attack someone and they attack you then you can't attack back for a full day, so here's the suggestion.

I feel like if you attack someone and they attack back then you should be able to attack again, however, if you attack them and they don't attack back then the formula that stands will not change, if they don't attack back then it'll take a full day for you to attack again is what I mean.

That goes for anyone in a group, so if B attacks you after you attacked A then you still can't attack A unless A attacks you.

To put this in perspective and hopefully make it a bit less confusing I'll show an example.

If B attacks A then B can't attack A again until A attacks, but after A attacks whether or not it was a full day then B can attack back.

I feel like this will make the current combat a bit more fluid while also retaining it's slow paced game play, it doesn't leave the sleeping player to be thrown to the wolves in other words but allows the awake player to have a more enjoyable RP experience.

Tell me what you think and if you feel this will be a good addition to the combat system we have now, personally I feel it makes it a bit more complete but who knows.

EDIT: This is a bit irrelevant but I like giving credit where credit is due, so you can thank Catwill for suggesting this to me when I was thinking of a sufficient way to fix the combat system.
Last edited by JsWill on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hedgedhogst

Re: Turn-based combat

Postby Hedgedhogst » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Does that mean, if I get a group attacking one of my characters, I could find out who the weak/awkward fighters are, and focus on attacking them as many times a day as they attack me, to filter out the weak ones and leave the strong/expert fighters forced to watch on helplessly, yelling "Hit me already, you coward!"

I do love the combat system. We'd be moving from two limping fighters, staring at each other and saying "Just you wait until tomorrow"... To two limping fighters, one of them staring at the other and saying "Oh, I'm not hitting you until seven hours have passed at least, just in case my friends get here." :?
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.
catwill

Postby catwill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Can you please clarify the part about being part of a group?
And when I walk I'm a cyclone
You should see it get rolling
Open my heart and emotions rip out of me
My emotions rip out of me

-Liz Phair
freiana

Postby freiana » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:37 pm

I fully agree with Hedgedhogst. The current system is odd, but the same odd for all chars. This system would keep it odd, but different per char.
However, I want to add, this is a better idea than many of the earlier ideas! Maybe with some improvement it could work, I just can't come up with it right now.
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:47 am

The strong ones could still attack you once a day if you didn't attack them at all, but if the weak ones were stupid enough to fight back, you could keep hitting them back and people who had already hit you couldn't do anything about it (except drag you).
Not-so-sad panda
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:44 pm

catwill wrote:Can you please clarify the part about being part of a group?

Basically if two people are in the same group, you attack one, then his friend attacks you, the on you attacked still can't be attacked but you can attack the one that attacked you, did that make sense?
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:46 pm

I like the outcome of this suggestion a lot better. :p

Even though it's tied at least there's enough opposing opinions to generate a proper discussion.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:50 pm

JsWill wrote:

Basically if two people are in the same group, you attack one, then his friend attacks you, the on you attacked still can't be attacked but you can attack the one that attacked you, did that make sense?

I think you over complicated it by mentioning groups at all.

What you're basically saying if I understand right is that there are no groups, or that this mechanic ignors the existence of groups. It doesn't matter who is friends with who; you can only attack someone again after they attack you or a day has gone by.

Unless i misunderstood, in which case please correct me.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:09 pm

computaertist wrote:
JsWill wrote:

I think you over complicated it by mentioning groups at all.

What you're basically saying if I understand right is that there are no groups, or that this mechanic ignors the existence of groups. It doesn't matter who is friends with who; you can only attack someone again after they attack you or a day has gone by.

Unless i misunderstood, in which case please correct me.

Yes, exactly.
catwill

Postby catwill » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:30 pm

JsWill wrote:

How does anyone know who is in a group? This is the part I don't understand. Taking that part out, I like it.
And when I walk I'm a cyclone
You should see it get rolling
Open my heart and emotions rip out of me
My emotions rip out of me

-Liz Phair
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:33 pm

catwill wrote:
JsWill wrote:

How does anyone know who is in a group? This is the part I don't understand. Taking that part out, I like it.

It's not important and I guess that's kind of the point, the game doesn't track who is in a group, if you get attacked and you buddy billy bob attacks your attacker then your attacker still can't attack you until a day later, however, he can attack billy bob who (with a name like that) probably has a shot gun in hand so he'll be fine. :p
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:37 pm

There are no groups. Some are just saying that, in attacks or fights where there are multiple people attacking (like an organized pirate raid), there will be players who abuse the mechanic by refusing to hit characters that would be a threat to them.
I don't see how this is any different from abusing the mechanics we already have, like hitting-and-running.

I like this suggestion because it doesn't really change the combat dynamic, it just gives people an option to speed things up if they happen to both be online.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Swingerzetta wrote:I like this suggestion because it doesn't really change the combat dynamic, it just gives people an option to speed things up if they happen to both be online.

Exactly. All this talk of groups is irrelevant and distracting to the discussion. Combat has always been one person attacking another person. This suggestion doesn't change that at all.

Will someone have to think a bit more before attacking back? Sure. Will an attacker want to accumulate massive tiredness by attacking the same person multiple times in a day? Depends. Lots more strategy involved, which is never a bad thing.

I think the only downside of this is that it favors the aggressor, since the person counter-attacking will leave himself vulnerable to another attack that he normally would be protected from. So yes, I can see defenders purposefully waiting 7 hours before counter attacking, and I don't think that should be a burden on the defender. I voted in support of this because it's a sound idea. It just needs a bit of refinement to put the defenders back on the same ground they're already standing on with the current mechanic.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:22 pm

If the defender hits back within an hour, the attacker will have full tiredness after the first hit and thus the defender will have a small advantage.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:25 pm

No different than now, so that doesn't address the vulnerability issue.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “Likely Suggestions”