5%
I don't care
7%

Total votes: 56
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Pianos

Postby Bmot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:23 pm

I'd like to be able to play the piano in Cantr. I'm not sure if it should be portable, was actually thinking it could be furniture or a machine... (or maybe multiple different piano's?)

Something like this:

Upright Piano (furniture/machine):
2000 grams of wood
300 grams of steel (for the strings)
(maybe) 100 grams of ivory (or perhaps bone?) for the keys
hammer
planer
hammer
maybe pliers or something?
6 days of work

Grand piano (furniture/machine):
5000 grams of wood
600 grams of steel
200 grams of ivory (here I'm more sure, i think this one should really be more expensive)
same tools
15 days of work

Keyboard (portable, like other instruments)
1500 grams of wood
radio receiver case
6 low power wires
circuit board
bone? for the keys
Tools:
regular or bronze screwdriver
soldering iron
pair of pliers
hammer
planer

So, what y'all think?

Oh, and to bring the mood to it a bit:
Last edited by Bmot on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Chroma Key

Re: Piano's

Postby Chroma Key » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:38 pm

Pianos have been suggested a million times before, but hopefully this might be the one that gets the job done.
YES! Although I do think that 15 days is a tad too long for my liking.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Yang

Postby Yang » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:47 pm

Piano is expensive one, so only 3000 wood is way too cheap. Make it 14000 wood, 1000 steel and 500 grams of ivory and make it a object. With weight more then 15 kilos you cant pickup this so it will be draggable, but couldn't be pickup. So you could transport it by drag to other building or put inside vehicle and move it to other town. Only first remove bug that after finishing item it go to your inventory, so you can carry more then usual (until dropped on ground)
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Yang wrote:Piano is expensive one, so only 3000 wood is way too cheap. Make it 14000 wood, 1000 steel and 500 grams of ivory and make it a object. With weight more then 15 kilos you cant pickup this so it will be draggable, but couldn't be pickup. So you could transport it by drag to other building or put inside vehicle and move it to other town. Only first remove bug that after finishing item it go to your inventory, so you can carry more then usual (until dropped on ground)

I didn't know of that bug, but besides that, I think I agree. Though I don't know if I'd want every piano to need ivory, as it's quite hard to find in many places, and I'd like this to be able to be actually sort of available. (that's also why I didn't put it in the upright piano, but did in the grand piano, as that one normally is more expensive, too.

So, according to this, it would be:

Bmot wrote:Upright Piano:
15000 grams of wood
500 grams of steel (for the strings)
(maybe) 100 grams of ivory (or perhaps bone?) for the keys
hammer
planer
hammer
maybe pliers or something?
6 days of work

Grand piano:
25000 grams of wood
1000 grams of steel
200 grams of ivory (here I'm more sure, i think this one should really be more expensive)
same tools
15 days of work

Keyboard
1500 grams of wood
radio receiver case
6 low power wires
guitar
circuit board
bone? for the keys
Tools:
regular or bronze screwdriver
soldering iron
pair of pliers
hammer
planer

So, they'd all be normal instruments, just some too big to carry. Would have to make sure they can be played when not in an inventory then, though.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Yang

Postby Yang » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:45 pm

Yes, once my character received two bus frames when they were finished, so he was carrying over 30 kilo, and he can drag max 10 kilo (he is very weak), so it was quite funny.
As for key materials it can be used just like IRL ivory, pearl, porcelain, tortoise-shell, silver. I think its enough to find proper one in any region.

Also there is a possibility that could be create new type of object, that is not pickable, but movable, but making it too have to pickup would prevent taking it. Also making it usable when it stands there shouldn't a big problem.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:48 pm

It's possible to make items appear on ground after they're finished, because things like blankets are created on the ground.
Not-so-sad panda
mojomuppet

Postby mojomuppet » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:51 pm

I agree with this and it should not be easy to make. I'm for needing the ivory or pearl, but not porcelain or tortoise shell because that's too easy.
3005-7.35: You expertly kill a giraffe using a bare fist.

Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Porcelain requires marble. That is not readily available.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Yang

Postby Yang » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Tortoise shell is available only in some regions. One of my characters have a lot of ivory, but never saw tortoise shell, or snake skin or similar. Also if one other suggestion will be implemented first, then object will have own description and there will be information if keys are from ivory, pearl, silver, tortoise shell or made with marble. Maybe even if this would be almost same object price would differ, like same items from different producers.
mojomuppet

Postby mojomuppet » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:35 pm

I forgot about the porcelain needing marble.
I'm still not in favor of the shell though, I've seen that stuff piled to the sky.
But maybe the stuff that scarabs drop?
3005-7.35: You expertly kill a giraffe using a bare fist.

Yang

Postby Yang » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:04 pm

To make it rare enough then we should use ivory, pearl, marble itself (need more marble then in porcelain but you can get quite a lot if you have source, so maybe use more as there could be some scraps) and maybe obsidian? Four rare but still available to get.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:25 pm

I recommend ivory. I've seen that in piles on a certain continent, but pearls are terribly slow to gather and only found in a few places. I wouldn't build anything big out of pearls. As for tortoiseshell, I imagine it's brown, not white. And scarab shell is probably black.
Not-so-sad panda
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:25 pm

All these things is why I thought bone would be good enough for the upright piano... There are enough islands without elephants, and without them, ivory is super rare... That's why I thought it was fitting for the Grand piano, which is of course a very expensive and luxury thing, but a 'normal' upright piano should be easier to get, I think.

What do you guys think of the keyboard, by the way?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:21 am

I'm not sure if it's necessary to use a guitar as a base because you wouldn't need the strings, so it would make more sense just to take the base material and some of the manufacturing time.
Not-so-sad panda
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 am

Oh, yeah, that's still in there because I copied it out of the electrical guitar wiki *facepalm* forget the guitar, I was just trying to make it like an electrical piano... I'll edit that out ;)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”