Build small ships on larger ones.

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

You know you want it!

Poll ended at Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:50 am

Yes, I do!
78%
No, I don't!
17%
I don't care.
4%

Total votes: 23
Ronja Rotschopf

Re: Build small ships on larger ones.

Postby Ronja Rotschopf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Doug R. wrote:
Ronja Rotschopf wrote:Finally a decision that makes living alone and forever on a ship easier. Great ;-)

I'm assuming this is sarcasm?

I'd be happy if the implementation was limited to rafts and nothing else.

Yes. It's a change of policy without any reason given. There were more reasonable suggestions refused with the explanation that people on ships shall need the help of people on shores.
guilletierno

Postby guilletierno » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 pm

is not easier improve a new king of boat?

zodiac boat

zodiac boat

2 people capacity, made of rubber(!) and wood. to increase speed, a wooden oar can be make inside.

of course, this new boat can travel over any water kind, can dock on any other ship and can be manufactured inside any ship, or outside. An idea to make a new one instead modify the whole list of ships.

PS: i need make a new suggestion thread or is fine do it in this one?
El vino viene cantando desde la tierra,
baja del cerro hecho agua,
y en una raíz se queda,
y sube por una camino que se llama enredadera,
parra, parrón, vid, mil hojas, verde sombra o como quieras.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Ronja Rotschopf wrote:
Doug R. wrote:
Ronja Rotschopf wrote:Finally a decision that makes living alone and forever on a ship easier. Great ;-)

I'm assuming this is sarcasm?

I'd be happy if the implementation was limited to rafts and nothing else.

Yes. It's a change of policy without any reason given. There were more reasonable suggestions refused with the explanation that people on ships shall need the help of people on shores.

I guess in this instance, you don't so much need the help of people/resources/machines on shore as you just need the shore. The biggest restriction to exclusive ship life - the inability to gather food, has been eliminated ever since fishing nets were implemented. No, it's not immediately edible, but it doesn't take much to process it. I'd say that eliminated the necessity for land by 75% or more. This bumps it up to 80%. For what it's worth, I voted no.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Ronja Rotschopf

Postby Ronja Rotschopf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:07 pm

The suggestion as it is makes it unnecessary to ask someone else for help if you want to dock a small ship to your big one (afterwards you are independent from others in both cases). In my opinion this is neither in the interest of a RPG nor in the interest of a society simulation.
Currently one person alone sailing a huge ship is possible, although not realistic. The current restriction that they can't build/dock small boats on/to their ship without help is a very small restriction compared to the difference in RL.
And without a small ship docked to your big ship, you are forced to get food on land, because fishing nets are only possible on small boats.

If it gets implemented it won't disturb me much, but I think it is a step into the wrong direction.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:11 pm

I think that to be able to play a reclusive character, no matter where, should be a possibility; I don't understand why it's considered a bad thing. There are reclusive people that interact with others very little in real society. They should factor into a simulation... and into an RPG.

It's not easy work to get to a point where you need no people or help to obtain necessities for that sort of life, unless the character is happy on a slow boat only fishing and cooking. Then it's entirely easy to never get any help (and much smaller chance of being docked to and bothered).

It's good that it's not easy in any other form and that whole townships can't be built on fleets of ships without the need to ever dock, but I don't see how being able to make such small boats on such large ones will make it that much easier in a bad way. There are still plenty of reasons to want or need to dock.

I suspect it's only extreme characters that will go to the trouble of cutting all ties with land. While those extreme characters might not interact with the world much, it can be interesting when they do.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:11 am

Ronja Rotschopf wrote:The suggestion as it is makes it unnecessary to ask someone else for help if you want to dock a small ship to your big one (afterwards you are independent from others in both cases). In my opinion this is neither in the interest of a RPG nor in the interest of a society simulation.

It will make it easier to attack small towns (meaning primitive, no harbour). It will give short term players who make thieves and cause disruptions more opportunity to create a disruption. More room for opportunistic hit and runs. It will make escape and detection a little more confusing and complicated. I have mixed feelings on the impact on the game but am leaning to the Ronja and Doug side and think their arguments are the most persuasive.

On a side note: Again this was accepted quickly. Surely a balanced debate should be allowed for and time for all opinions before accepting? It's not as though it will be acted on quickly.
Last edited by Addicted on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
viktor

Postby viktor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:01 am

hmmm i looked at this a couple days ago and was thinking...
if you sail a galleon/raker/skimmer/soarer to a remote place and have NOTHING to dock to shore with, you build a raft or series of for crew and then dock to shore, you better only stop at a coastal forest or the next pirate/salvage that sails by with snag your ship cuz you cant dock back.

this brought me to the thought that. it would be somewhat logical to consider construction list of smaller boats coincide with exactly what can be docked to the vessel you are on and building them. this would also include the idea that a dinghy should also be buildable from a sloop or longboat.

of course i can see this would cause some controversy, people might freak at the mention of building a darter, longboat or sloop while in the middle of the ocean while sailing one of the big 4.
but seriously consider it, it makes sense. if you can dock it, you can build it.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:28 pm

It will soon become technically possible, being left for RD to decide.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’

Return to “Likely Suggestions”