Viking-like burials

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Indigo

Viking-like burials

Postby Indigo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:58 pm

I have no idea of how complicated this could be, regarding programming, but this idea is bugging me and I supposed I could post it here and see what others think.

The idea is simple, as the title says, I'd want viking-like burials: burning ships on the sea. Both the corpses and the ship would disappear.
Someone wrote:Being dark is an intelligent interpretation of the fabricated world, made up from our heads, there to tempt and play with us
EchoMan

Re: Viking-like burials

Postby EchoMan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:05 pm

I love this idea. :)

Great way to get rid of some small bones and other junk too.

I think any undestructable notes left in the ship should float ashore though.

And it should be a project to set it up, requiring some wood and oil or something, and it should be visible on the location page, something like:

"A huge bonfire can be seen on a boat on the water close to town".

Edit: Edited 3-5 times.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:44 pm

I like this also. The only problem with it is that there's no way to add vehicles onto projects, so you'd have to start the project on the ship itself instead of adding the ship into it. I'll propose a step-wise implementation process:

1) Implement Pyres as containers
2) Build a pyre in town or on a ship
3) Add stuff to the Pyre (problem - can't add bodies to projects!)
4) Light pyre/launch pyre (problem - have to undock ship with no-one on it!)
5) Destroy everything in pyre, the pyre itself, and the ship the pyre is on except notes
6) Move notes to nearest location
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:48 pm

3. The body/ies could just be put in the boat.
4. It could be implemented so that a finished pyre on a ship adds a button to the outside of the ship to light it. When lit, the ship is undocked, get a new description "on fire" etc.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Ok - edit

1) Implement pyre as an object or machine
2) Build a pyre in a ship or in a non-mobile vehicle (like a cage, or a new vehicle for this purpose) (problem - how to limit it by vehicle type?)
3) Add stuff to the vehicle the pyre is in
4) Light pyre/launch pyre using external button (problem - what if someone lights it while a living person is in it!)
5) Destroy everything in pyre, the pyre itself, and the ship/vehicle the pyre is on except notes
6) Move notes to nearest location

7) We could make a land-pyre vehicle that comes with the pyre already inside, saving a step.

Option: destroy editable notes in the pyre. Logic stands that it would take less time for the player to delete them all manually that it would be to build the pyre in the first place.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Doug R. wrote:2) Build a pyre in a ship or in a non-mobile vehicle (like a cage, or a new vehicle for this purpose) (problem - how to limit it by vehicle type?)

Do we really need this on land too?

Doug R. wrote:4) Light pyre/launch pyre using external button (problem - what if someone lights it while a living person is in it!)

Obviously the script needs to prevent that. :)

Doug R. wrote:5) Destroy everything in pyre, the pyre itself, and the ship/vehicle the pyre is on except non-destructable notes

My change in red.

Doug R. wrote:7) We could make a land-pyre vehicle that comes with the pyre already inside, saving a step.

Good idea. The vehicle should be immobile though.

Doug R. wrote:Option: destroy editable notes in the pyre. Logic stands that it would take less time for the player to delete them all manually that it would be to build the pyre in the first place.

Everything dropped in the ship/vehicle, except non-editable notes should be destroyed.
Indigo

Postby Indigo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Building a pyre in a vehicle in land could be an option too, but I don't see the -need- of a vehicle for a land pyre.

Every note in the ship should be destroyed, even non-editable ones. Since the body drops dead before, a character might be able to pick the notes they want to save. It would be nice a random chance of a note, or an object, getting saved and reaching the shore once the burning project is over, though.

The project can't be started if there's someone alive in the vehicle (though this would be a good addition, I can see it being misused).
Someone wrote:Being dark is an intelligent interpretation of the fabricated world, made up from our heads, there to tempt and play with us
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:52 pm

We never destroy non-editable notes by game design.

The simplest solution on land is a vehicle, because you can't add dead bodies or notes to a project. Maybe we could make it a container, and allow for bodies to be dragged to containers?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Would make coffins possible, for sure.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:58 pm

In India they used to burn widows when the husband died. Considering that, would make sense if it was possible to burn living people as well.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:00 pm

That just opens up the whole insta-kill can of words that we want to avoid.

EchoMan wrote:Do we really need this on land too?

It's the way Darth Vader was laid to rest, so it's equally cool. Honestly, with the exception of the boat needing to be launched first, and limiting it to non-mobile land vehicles, there would be no difference between the two, and I think land-locked towns should have the option also. But, if it stalls the suggestion in any way, I'll of course defer.
Indigo

Postby Indigo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:08 pm

EchoMan wrote:We never destroy non-editable notes by game design.

I thought it could be done in some way. Forget this part, then.

EchoMan wrote:The simplest solution on land is a vehicle, because you can't add dead bodies or notes to a project. Maybe we could make it a container, and allow for bodies to be dragged to containers?

I like this. That way, you could add personal objects to the pyre.

SekoETC wrote:In India they used to burn widows when the husband died. Considering that, would make sense if it was possible to burn living people as well.

This was exactly what I had in mind, with its whole bunch of possible misuses (and as Doug says, the insta-kill issue).
NancyLee

Postby NancyLee » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:09 pm

I absolutely love the idea and thank you for it, Indigo (:

For funeral pyres on land (if the option is accepted further than for seas and lakes), could it be possible have both options and chose one? the pyre as a container where we can "store" the body or start the project in a vehicle (could be nice getting rid of some small wooden carts here and there)?
Last edited by NancyLee on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.”
― Frida Kahlo
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Indigo wrote:
EchoMan wrote:The simplest solution on land is a vehicle, because you can't add dead bodies or notes to a project. Maybe we could make it a container, and allow for bodies to be dragged to containers?

I like this. That way, you could add personal objects to the pyre.

But you can if it is a vehicle too. :)
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm

NancyLee wrote:I absolutely love the idea and thank you for it, Indigo (:

For funeral pyres on land (if the option is accepted further than for seas and lakes), could it be possible habe both options and chose one? the pyre as a container where we can "store" the body or start the project in a vehicle (could be nice getting rid of some small wooden carts here and there)?

The idea on land is that the pyre is something you can enter and put things in, a vehicle is the best option since you would still be visible to others. Just like a cage is in fact an immobile vehicle.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”