Decreased travel time or distance (New Thread)

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you like that idea?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 86
Marian

Re: Decreased travel time or distance (New Thread)

Postby Marian » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:48 am

freiana wrote:My mind is racing about how to sink an island without killing characters... And to be honest, some very funny ideas come to mind xD

How is this a problem? I mean CLEARLY, they are swept up in a series of giant tidal waves that, through a complex series of ocean currents, gently deposit them all on Shai.

It's the most obvious and natural thing in the world.
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:24 am

Hey... this is a thread about decreased travel time or distance, not about sinking an island.

You island-sinkers get your own thread :P
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Marian

Postby Marian » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:59 am

...in the future, all non-vehicle travel should be made by tidal wave, thus decreasing travel time.

Discuss.
freiana

Postby freiana » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:53 am

((Last time off topic: Puting -all- the people from Fu on Shai would be hilarious and epic. \offtopic))

Anyway, I don't see anything bad about increasing the walking speed and maybe slow-vehicle speed, too.
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:22 am

Has travel speed already been changed? I notice several surprising travel times...
I think ...
Andu

Postby Andu » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:38 am

Yeah, were surprised when I traveled something I remembered to be at least a few hours in just one hour on a tandem bike(okay, I didn't have much stuff in it, but it was a paved road)
"An those with little fuel, could tie a pack of bears in front of their limousine, with whip and crossbow in hands to keep them in line."
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

It's a bug. Thanks for reporting that. I fixed it, but currently ongoing travels will be faster, as it's quite hard to fix.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:42 am

So I'm resurrecting this cause in light of current calamities as I see them I feel it needs to be brought to the attention of everyone. I've done some thinking and here's what I've come up with, this has to happen in some form or fashion. I've discovered based on my own endeavors to bring people to the game that the walking is just too insane. So here's my new suggestion and it's a bit more extreme than my last one but bear with me.

People are turned off by the long walking times especially since of course it interrupts role play or any play which is essentially what Cantr is about. So I've come up with a plausible solution (I hope you don't mind me stating it here) that will temporarily solve the issues occurring. Again, this is a pretty extreme change and I don't know if everyone will hop on the band wagon but here it goes.

Reduce travel to 4 max 2 min ticks for walking. Adjust vehicle speed to beat w/e walking speed is and vehicle speeds with each other when possible. This may force more ticks to be made but to the best of my knowledge that isn't too difficult but you wouldn't even necessarily have to do that either.

Here's the catch and the thing people may find odd or not like if they agreed with the above. Every time you reach a destination walking your tiredness shoots up to an appropriate level and once it's maxed out you can't move again until you rest. This would encourage people to role play camping out from long journeys too, that I just thought of.

But vehicles being that they are being ridden or drove in will not impact your tiredness nearly as much depending on which type of vehicle it is. People *may* complain about the tiredness but the bonus of this system is you can role play being tired and you'll be in a location to role play or at least role play resting that makes some sort of sense. This way for example you're not role playing sleeping and resting and pop up in another town all of a sudden.

I also, with every fiber of my being believe based on what I've seen while trying to recruit new members this will not only entice other people to join the game but to stay for the long term. It will speed up Cantr a bit and reinforce the role play and simulation aspects of the game. Just by making this one simple change.

I really wasn't going to res this but I feel like if there was ever a good time to do it then now would be that time and I didn't want the opportunity to pass me by. If anyone could give me some feed back I would love it so much. I care about this game and it's hard for me to see so many people who would be great assets to this game turn it away because of something as small and fixable as this.

This is just one of the three reoccurring complaints I've gotten from people while trying to recruit new players, but it was by far the most consistent complaint I've gotten.

Anyway, I do appreciate you taking the time to read all of that and I apologize if it was a bit lengthy. But I sincerely hope that you take this into consideration.
returner

Postby returner » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:47 am

I wholeheartedly support JsWill's suggestion. If new players arrive at an empty town - and with a decreasing player base, large groups of active characters are far and few between - penalising them by making them wait days and days to get to just the next town is going to quickly turn them off. This is in addition to JsWill's reasoning, and is not my main argument for this suggestion.
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:35 pm

Playerbase seem to be decreasing fast.. And amount of sleepers have gone up. I think traveling takes too long on this game.. well motorvehicles are okay but when you sail long even with people.. For some odd reason all fall asleep and walking.. Ugh, you can walk 4 days to get one place and.. To be honest that's not so fun
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:02 am

Who said walking inhibits roleplay? Some of my favorite roleplay sessions have happened while walking. Find a character you like and walk with them.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:18 am

Yes, with company it's okay but.. Point was doing it alone
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:20 am

Tis simple. While one is doing boring travel, go concentrate on other characters... :wink:
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:48 am

Snowdrop wrote:Tis simple. While one is doing boring travel, go concentrate on other characters... :wink:

What if you only have one character? Or you only have two and both are on the road alone? There's multiple reasons one might only have two characters and be in that position, the least of which is not enough time. So what then? I see your point but the fact remains in a role playing game where role playing is impeded by the games mechanics then something is seriously wrong.

It's like having a zombie game where you go a whole 5 days playing without seeing a zombie and telling people to instead focus on other aspects of the game. Or to play a separate character that zombies have shown up on while you wait. I see your point and as a Cantr player I know for a fact that works but should people necessarily have to do that?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:20 am

Personally, I always liked travel times as they are, since they convey a sense of distance rarely experienced anywhere else anymore, including real life. There is something archaic about having to wait days to get anywhere, which can feel strangely rewarding in itself. As a player who came to like the game, while it still had to offer something besides roleplay (that is, exploration, survival and a building system that wasn't rendered near-meaningless by an overabundance of practically everything), I might not represent the average player of today though.

That said, I doubt that road length has any direct connection to the shrinking of the playerbase, simply by virtue of not having changed much over the last decade. (If anything, travel times have decreased on average, due to the greater availability of vehicles.) The fundamental problem as I see it, is that the game's target audience narrowed down to much over the course of the years. While shortening travel time might help retaining some people in the remaining segment of players, I highly doubt it will return player numbers to old glory.

(Actually, I'm not that convinced about the increase in player retention anyway. 50 Players not quitting because of road length, doesn't automatically mean 50 new players. People who are turned off by this kind of thing, might as well not like other slow-paced aspects of the game and quit for a different reason later.)

In short, I doubt this suggestion will have the desired effect.
Pretty in pink.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”