Decreased travel time or distance (New Thread)

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you like that idea?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 86
Tiamo

Re: Decreased travel time or distance (New Thread)

Postby Tiamo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:24 pm

I agree with Henkie on this issue. The various travel speeds (walking, vehicle, ships) are nicely balanced and realistic. So, if you want to change the speed of travel, change it at the same rate for every type of traveling (including ship movement!).

I do think the game would benefit from faster travel. I agree on this with Black Canyon.
* Travel time (longer than the usual time between player logins) is wasted time in the eyes of most players.
* Locations are now so far apart that creating and maintaining societies that span more than 1 location is very difficult. When locations are hours apart (for those with bikes and better vehicles), rather than days, this could change. More vivid/regular interaction between nearby locations would benefit day-to-day gameplay and create opportunities for new types of societies and social interaction.

Doubling travel speed seems quite nice, tripling could be too much (unless some type of multi-location-travel becomes available).
I think ...
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:45 pm

Do road improvements only affect vehicles and not walking? The formulas in the wiki seem to suggest that way.
Not-so-sad panda
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:59 pm

SekoETC wrote:Do road improvements only affect vehicles and not walking? The formulas in the wiki seem to suggest that way.

Yes. The way I understand it, the road factor only applies to vehicle speed.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:45 pm

I think people ingame assume that improving roads improves walking speed, because societies who don't have many vehicles at all still improve roads. If road improvement improved walking speed, people would get a benefit from improving roads even if they didn't have vehicles.
Not-so-sad panda
Yang

Postby Yang » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:06 pm

One of mine character is living in mountains. There is no rubber or wood, so he cant make his own vehicle. At this point getting food become real problem, as too much time take walking to places with resources, so he only walk for long time to get ther and go back.

Also realistic speed. Avarange walking speed is 6 km/h. Bike speed at expressway if x4,5 of it speed so its like 27 km/h. Stationcar on expressway drives 23-27x times faster, so its like 138-162 km/h. I think to keep it more realistic and fun we should improve speed of walking. Speed of bikes could also be improved by same amount.
Nalaris

Postby Nalaris » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:11 am

I wouldn't be too concerned with a super-strict dedication to realism with regards to travel times. A car should be faster than a bike should be faster than walking, and it should be a real noticeable difference in each case, but past that the details aren't really important.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:26 am

The fastest vehicle in cantr is the bus that goes 278 units an hour. If 10 units an hour corresponds to 6 km an hour then 278 corresponds to 166,8 km an hour. If the maximum was 120 km/h then walking speed would be 13.9 units an hour, which can be rounded to 14. By assuming that the max speed was lower, such as 100 km/h or even 80 km/h, relative walking speed could be raised up to 17 or 21, respectively. Of course slower vehicles should be adjusted accordingly.

I read online that a bike can go up to 50 km/h on a straight road. If 278 stands for 120 km/h, a bike's max speed (46) corresponds to 20 km/h, which is lower than the 27 km/h mentioned in this topic.
Not-so-sad panda
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:00 pm

And for a bike.. What's the difference between the best road and the second best road? I bet that doesn't correspond to RL either... Perfect synchronization is not possible here in my opinion, but I hold my ground on the consistency, make one bigger, make them all bigger by the same factor.

Also, about the walking, isn't logical that a path is the same as a highway? I walked over a lot of different paths and asphalt roads and I always seem to go a steady 6/7 km/h... I'd say that's rather real, considering a path is big enough to fit a jeep.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:35 pm

Yeah, most likely it is logical that walking speed is the same in spite of the road type, but it's unnecessary to raise the speed of regular cars when they're already good enough. If walking speed went up to 30, tractors and slower vehicles would need to have their speed increased or they'd be slower than walking on paths.
Not-so-sad panda
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:49 pm

Henkie wrote:And for a bike.. What's the difference between the best road and the second best road? I bet that doesn't correspond to RL either... Perfect synchronization is not possible here in my opinion, but I hold my ground on the consistency, make one bigger, make them all bigger by the same factor.

I agree with Henkie here, I really think it's balanced out pretty good right now.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Wait, when the walking skill or w/e it is gets put into the game, wouldn't that basically fix the issues? I mean everyone is getting crazy over this, but with the walking skill, in theory, the more you walk the faster you'll get to point B from point A, so in the end, once that gets implemented, who is really going to need shorter roads? In that skills case longer roads would be an advantage to leveling, not a disadvantage... Just my two cents, but initially I liked the idea, but thinking about it now i'm questioning it.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:07 pm

No, the point is to make the way-too-enormous world a little bit smaller to facilitate more interaction between towns.

The easiest way to do that is to increase movement speeds. I agree some consistency should be kept in mind, and manual vehicles should definitely also get a proportionate boost to walking. Motorized vehicles are fine.

The wiki mentions a walking skill that's not yet implemented, but that's been there forever. Probably since the wiki was started, so I don't have much faith in one being implemented at this point. Nor do I think we really need a walking skill.

ETA: I looked at the history of edits on that page, and it looks like it was probably added in 2005, because there is not any record of it being added separately later. At any rate, the last time the page was edited was Jan 2011, and I know it's been there longer than that.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:55 pm

So, triple walking speed, give manual vehicles a proportional boost, and leave motorized vehicles more or less unchanged (if that makes sense relative to the new manual vehicle values).
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:20 pm

It might be difficult or impossible to ensure that vehicle speeds (save for the small wooden cart) are faster than walking if walking is upped to 30. At least on paths, tractors would be slower than walking. If walking speed was only doubled, it would leave more room for adjusting the other values.
Not-so-sad panda
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Or we could triple it and up the speed of those motorized vehicles as needed to retain the proper proportions?

Return to “Likely Suggestions”