Decreased travel time or distance (New Thread)

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you like that idea?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 86
Friar Briar

Re: Decreased travel time or distance (New Thread)

Postby Friar Briar » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Snickie wrote:Who said walking inhibits roleplay? Some of my favorite roleplay sessions have happened while walking. Find a character you like and walk with them.

sherman wrote:Yes, with company it's okay but.. Point was doing it alone

Actually, most of my characters are walking hermits, and I like the long travel time. I find it relaxing, calming, and fun, and it gives me a real sense of how far things really are in the game.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:55 pm

What if the number of travel ticks was doubled and there would be a trial period to see what happens?
Not-so-sad panda
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:54 pm

Friar Briar wrote:
Snickie wrote:Who said walking inhibits roleplay? Some of my favorite roleplay sessions have happened while walking. Find a character you like and walk with them.

sherman wrote:Yes, with company it's okay but.. Point was doing it alone

Actually, most of my characters are walking hermits, and I like the long travel time. I find it relaxing, calming, and fun, and it gives me a real sense of how far things really are in the game.

Wow, someone does like them? That's interesting. But not all find it that way and so.. everything is balancing between different opinions so maybe testing would be okay?
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:57 pm

What is the current walking speed? Is the Wiki correct?

Road length varies quite a bit between islands. It doesn’t make sense to speed up fueled vehicles any more, nor to increase travel ticks, as many places it’s already easy to arrive in one tick. But at this point in the game, increasing base speed for walking and unfueled vehicles, and removing the max speed cap on the wooden cart, etc. is unlikely to decrease demand for fuel.
Marian

Postby Marian » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:15 pm

I know everyone has their pet theories for what's killing the game...I have my own but I guess I just don't have the clout or high enough ranting skill to stir up a big enough storm on the forums to force any changes through. But I don't get where anyone is getting the idea that walking time is suddenly the culprit for causing players to leave...walking speed hasn't changed since the game began. Traveling across half the island on foot is supposed to take awhile. Some people enjoy it. Others get a job and buy a bike.

Disappointing this is happening, but whatever. There goes the last incentive for newspawns to stay put in their towns for at least a few days, and it'll take away a lot of the motivation for like half my characters. But I guess I've just been deluding myself anyway...realistically there's so many abandoned vehicles now there's not much reason to build new ones anymore or get rides from others anyhow, and it's not like having enough food for a journey has been a concern for anyone in a very long time. Traveling long distances is already so ridiculously easy and what you find on one end of the road is always exactly the same as the other. The sense of adventure has been long gone awhile anyway so might as well shorten the roads if it makes a handful of more vocal players feel better.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:36 pm

In the past there were more inhabited locations on the old islands. Back in 846 I had one character who spawned in some distant region and spent the first two years of his life traveling through empty locations before reaching Quillanoi, which was a large town at the time. It affected his personality greatly. Now if I hadn't known OOC that there were inhabited towns on the island, I might have been discouraged after the first few empty locations. Nowadays there are far less inhabited towns, so a person who doesn't know the island through their other characters can easily go for years without meeting a single person. If that player wants to interact with other people, they might get bored and give up. So there were already uninhabited areas back in the 800's, the whole of Cantr island has never been inhabited, but there were certainly more people.
Not-so-sad panda
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:42 pm

It sounds like long travel times are good for (some) old players and bad for (most?) new players. If we can't block newplayers from traveling, can we give new players a speed boost instead? And make it clear that the boost is coming from the youthful spring in their step that will run out. So New players are a bit less likely to leave before learning why long roads are a good thing.

Please notice, new players, not all new characters. I am NOT suggesting we need experienced players having faster newspawn thieves.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Marian

Postby Marian » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:56 pm

When I went traveling with my first character, I saw 3% after the first hour and just turned back around and waited to talk to people in my spawn town.

The next time I packed more food and left with company. And when I had to travel alone I would just...go about my life normally until my character arrived. I never saw it as that big a deal. New players aren't glued to their computers obsessively clicking refresh even when nothing's happening like we older players are, and new players who do get really into the game are more likely to quickly make new characters to entertain themselves with during down time since they don't realize the problems that can lead to later yet.
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:21 pm

Marian wrote:I know everyone has their pet theories for what's killing the game...I have my own but I guess I just don't have the clout or high enough ranting skill to stir up a big enough storm on the forums to force any changes through. But I don't get where anyone is getting the idea that walking time is suddenly the culprit for causing players to leave...walking speed hasn't changed since the game began.

I didn't stir up anything. I posted an in depth analysis about my thoughts and why I left (something thought people would appreciate. I guess I was wrong), people saw it, replied and it continued from there. I'm not trying to "force changes." I don't care if the game changes, it'll do it or gradually lose players until it has none left. I couldn't care less at this point. It's not "suddenly the culprit." People aren't *leaving* because of the long roads, you just aren't making gains cause of the roads.

Let me ask you this. What happens when a game *entirely* reliant upon the player base to continue starts to lose its base? When the base is gone, the game is finished. It starts with a gradual decline and then an ultimate tank. How do we stop this gradual decline? We bring in new players, how do we bring in new players? We don't run them off with game mechanics that completely contradict the entire idea of a role playing game of this fashion.

That's all I'm saying. I'm just trying to help, I wasn't even going to and honestly after reading this I wish I wouldn't have even bothered trying to help. I'm sorry for anyone who thinks I'm trying to force my ideas and I'm sorry to anyone who thinks I "caused this to force my ideas though." I don't care anymore, I have too many other games to bother with one full of people who seem to feel I'm intruding.

I retract all of my comments and concerns and I apologize for rocking the boat.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:59 pm

If all the players left, Cantr could be redesigned from scratch as Cantr III and new players would either join because it's good or not join, but it wouldn't go any lower because it would start from zero.
Not-so-sad panda
Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:09 pm

I would like to see the original suggestion implemented ASAP, not opened up to further debate so that it is put on the back burner. Major modifications should be posted in a new thread.
Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:36 pm

Any chance that this suggestion will be implemented in the foreseeable future?
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:31 pm

I don't know what is the consensus about vehicle speed. But maybe it's the time to just increase walking speed and think about adjustments for vehicles in the mean time? Vehicles benefit from better roads and give much more capacity, so I don't think any vehicle owner can feel hurt by such (temporary) solution.

The long term improvement would be, for me, to adjust vehicle speeds and make travel ticks smaller but more frequent, so the difference in speed between fast vehicles (which can finish the travel on expressway in 1 tick) becomes visible.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’

Return to “Likely Suggestions”