Desire-Based Spawning (DBS)

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you like the idea of guided spawning?

Yes - I like the proposal given
73%
Yes - I like the idea, but not so much the suggestions given
14%
I Might like the idea. I need to read more.
5%
No - sounds like a bad idea
6%
I don't give a crap
1%

Total votes: 78
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Re: Desire-Based Spawning (DBS)

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm

I like both suggestions and voted accordingly.

Haven't read this thread, but ... the option to deactivate "parenting" for a particular character should just be simple, I think, just an option to set on the character description page. The option to increase spawning, though, should somehow take effort. I think a nice method might be to require a particular food / spice / etc. that increases fertility ...
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:18 pm

Can we move to accepted now, since it has Jos's seal of approval?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Jos Elkink wrote:...The option to increase spawning, though, should somehow take effort. I think a nice method might be to require a particular food / spice / etc. that increases fertility ...

I think a combination of wine, dark chocolate and oysters. 8)
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Franzzz

Postby Franzzz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:07 am

the_antisocial_hermit wrote:(...) a box we can tick or untick on the individual character's page or something by the description box. Characters don't know that they're in a population pool that affects spawning

I like this.

Edited: I consider this suggestion extremely important. I think its implementation as a matter of urgency, to provide a new vitality to the game.
também conhecido como HFrance
Franzzz

Postby Franzzz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Sorry for the double post, but this is to add a few suggestions for the implementation of the box for spawning rate (if this is one of the solutions adopted).

1) There should be three options for selection (high, medium and low) in order to provide a better balance in the formation of a collective intention on the rate of a particular locality.

2) The initial and default option to a new char would be the low rate. For the reasons:

- If the char belonged to a novice player, he would have time to learn about the mechanism, its function and importance, without inadvertently cause the overpopulation of the community.

- Even in the case of novice player char, the initial effect of decrease would be useful for the local community to restrain its growth to focus on better instruction and help this inexperienced player;

- If the character belongs to an experienced player, he would know immediately how to use the feature to adjust the rate at his discretion;

3) The best place to put the checkbox would be a page of its own, triggered by a small icon next to the name of the locality in which the character is (in the header information of every page). This would make the player correctly associate the idea that the rate is attribute of the location, not of the character.

- On this page we can present an explanation of the use of the tool and, importantly, that this feature can not be used as an object for roleplay, nor that the rate adjustment can be the result of an in-game or an out-of-character negotiation.

4) The resulting effect of calculating the rate should never be zero, ie preventing absolutely new births, to avoid formation (spontaneously or not) of closed communities.

And, as usual, sorry for my bad English.
também conhecido como HFrance
Mr. Bones

Re: Spawn on a new island?

Postby Mr. Bones » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:31 am

Wouldn't this be covered under accepted suggestion "Configurable Spawning"? One of the suggested parameters that can be used would allow for this under that suggestion.
Andu

Re: Spawn on a new island?

Postby Andu » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:31 pm

Doug R. wrote:Another suggestion is to allow characters to remove themselves from the spawn-candidate pool, kind of like a self castration. If sailors don't want to be spawning in every port, they can just turn it off.

Oh Yes!
"An those with little fuel, could tie a pack of bears in front of their limousine, with whip and crossbow in hands to keep them in line."
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:29 pm

I like the checkbox for yes/no to parenting, with new characters automatically set to "yes".
I like the prospect of being able to increase a character's "fertility" through a project or food or whatever.
That's all.

1&4) I don't think it needs to be complicated with a three-setting that never amounts to zero. Think about it. In real life, and forgive me for going M-rated, people have condoms and other forms of birth control to keep themselves from producing anything. And, of course, there's complete abstinence. And there are closed societies in real life. What's wrong with having the same type of thing in Cantr like what was originally suggested with the check box? Unchecking the box to take your character out of the spawn pool is your birth control.

2&3) Help the community restrain growth? Other than maybe Dom Hofran, why would anybody really want to do that unless you're on a resource run or something? And trolls would probably just set it to high and thus isn't likely to actually read the instructions anyway. And wouldn't anybody who reads about it on the wiki become "experienced" in even if they're a new player?

Separate note on 3) I think this setting should apply entirely to the player, no matter where they are, and not the location. There's no magic in Cantr that says, "Ooh, you person who doesn't want to make Cantr babies. You can't do that here! This magical force field the town council has set up has made it so that everybody poops newspawns whether they want to or not!" Also, how are you supposed to agree on a location setting without negotiation either in-game or out-of-character?

You all know my stance on how this should be implemented.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 pm

I like a checkbox too.
Read about my characters by following this link.
viktor

Postby viktor » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:15 pm

*sighs* i can see some issues with turning off ur 'breeding ability'
in a city where someone wants growth, if too many people turn it off.. the town will stagnate.
it really does effect the entire game for every character who turns off their ability.
currently the ways to turn it off in game are... live on a road or live at sea

just bringing this up so it can be taken into consideration.....
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:04 pm

viktor wrote:*sighs* i can see some issues with turning off ur 'breeding ability'
in a city where someone wants growth, if too many people turn it off.. the town will stagnate.
it really does effect the entire game for every character who turns off their ability.
currently the ways to turn it off in game are... live on a road or live at sea

just bringing this up so it can be taken into consideration.....

True, but the problem with that is, that you can "conceive" a newspawn in a completely empty village, except for two travellers who happen to pass by. This is probably one of the main reasons of wanting to 'turn off' breeding ability.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:15 am

I understand the considerations made, but my suggestions were based on the current system of creating new characters. First, never been clearly established that the characters are born. So I'm not starting from the idea that a character is conceived by others. Even in places where there is only characters of the same sex, there arises the possibility of another. So I do not see the suggestion like any contraceptive method. The emergence of a new character is a distributive method related to each locality. Never mechanics of spawnpoints been directly and explicitly linked to the roleplay.
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
Cantryjczyk

Postby Cantryjczyk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Doug R. wrote:1) Enable characters to increase the odds of attracting newspawns to their location.
2) Enable characters to eliminate themselves from the spawn-parent pool entirely. (i.e., they aren't counted when considering town populations for spawning).

I don't care how.

Yes, please. I coudnt agree more.

I like the checkbox for yes/no to parenting, with new characters automatically set to "yes".
Another option (checkbox) shoud be for increased chance for newspawn, but lets say only for chars that are at least 30 years old.
Consider it responsible parenthood, more experienced players can have bigger impact using chars that are around for some time already. And newspawns arent bothered to use it asap.
Każdy ma swój punkt widzenia, ale nie każdy z niego coś widzi.
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:55 pm

Cantryjczyk wrote:(...) responsible parenthood (...)

Which game are you referring to?
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
Cantryjczyk

Postby Cantryjczyk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Mayby I used bad words to describe, or reference to something I shouldnt. But sugestion is cantr and cantr only related. It is most simple and effective way i coud think of to make cantr better. Sorry for my english.
Każdy ma swój punkt widzenia, ale nie każdy z niego coś widzi.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”