Desire-Based Spawning (DBS)

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you like the idea of guided spawning?

Yes - I like the proposal given
73%
Yes - I like the idea, but not so much the suggestions given
14%
I Might like the idea. I need to read more.
5%
No - sounds like a bad idea
6%
I don't give a crap
1%

Total votes: 78
Chris

Re: Desire-Based Spawning (DBS)

Postby Chris » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:30 am

Doug R. wrote:There are remote towns with two or three people that are active and only see one newspawn every real-life 6 months. This does nothing to help them increase that frequency. So no, problem not solved.

Does every town with two or three active people deserve to grow bigger? Will Cantr be a better game if its characters are more dispersed across the world map? I don't think so. I feel sorry for those towns, but the problem is that the world is too big. Dispersing our characters even more would be a bad idea.
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:47 am

I don't see the goal as "let's make every town big" but rather "let's get newspawns where they'll be wanted and welcomed."
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:54 am

Doug, I agree that the spawning system is flawed. But I think that there should be even more bias in favor of larger towns. Not every active person is like you, sticking around for years and keeping busy the whole time. Most are only active for a short time, and then they quit or become mostly inactive. Large towns can tolerate that typical player turnover.

By the way, I find it ironic that newspawns who did something similar to what your character did (i.e., leave a familiar place to start a new life) undermined your effort to build your town.
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:25 am

What about giving the player of the newspawn some say in the matter? Not the specific town or island, mind you... but maybe choose if they want a large town with lots of people or a small town with only a few etc etc...
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Nalaris

Postby Nalaris » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:49 am

What if we're barking up the wrong tree, here? What if the fundamental problem is just that the game world has grown much too big for its playerbase? There's fewer active characters than in the past, I'd heard.
freiana

Postby freiana » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:47 am

Nalaris; I agree this might be a problem, but it's probably too off-topic for this thread. I'm all in for talking about this somewhere else, though.

On topic: I really like the idea of combining the idea of letting individual characters choose whether or not they are in the spawn-pool and allowing players some choice as to where their new char will spawn (I think there was some suggestion on this before). It gives a little better ods for newly started towns, but it also gives players the chance to play at their location of choice without having to walk across half an island to do so.
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:07 am

Chris wrote:
Doug R. wrote:
Chris wrote:
Doug R. wrote:1) Enable characters to increase the odds of attracting newspawns to their location.

The mechanism already exists: feed everyone in town. It requires desire and effort, both in producing food and distributing it.

Hey, you said you didn't care how! Problem solved.

That simply maintains that status quo, and does nothing to increase the odds of attracting newspawns.

Not true. Towns that feed everyone get larger faster than towns that do not. Otherwise, Dom Hofran would have a population of four.

The feed-everyone tactic takes a while to gain momentum, but maybe that's a good thing. Some people have a lot of energy for a short while and then burn out. Only the people who have staying power should be deliberately growing their towns.

I have a character that's been in a town that had 2 sleepers that the character kept fed, on top of another more active citizen that was in and out of their home, and the character has never seen another character spawn in its whole life... something like 7-9 years. Not as bad as Doug's situation, but it's nice to even have 3-5 semi-active people in a place (unless you have a hermit character, of course).

Black Canyon wrote:What about giving the player of the newspawn some say in the matter? Not the specific town or island, mind you... but maybe choose if they want a large town with lots of people or a small town with only a few etc etc...

There was a suggestion like this somewhere... I'm a bit too tired to find it right now, though (and apparently was tired enough to miss a page on this thread). I thought it was a pretty good idea.

Nalaris: I think the game world has always been too big for the player-base. I know it's been brought up fairly regularly in forum threads and conversations I've had. It's definitely more-so than it used to be though.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Ronja Rotschopf

Postby Ronja Rotschopf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:05 am

the_antisocial_hermit wrote:
Black Canyon wrote:What about giving the player of the newspawn some say in the matter? Not the specific town or island, mind you... but maybe choose if they want a large town with lots of people or a small town with only a few etc etc...

There was a suggestion like this somewhere... I'm a bit too tired to find it right now, though (and apparently was tired enough to miss a page on this thread). I thought it was a pretty good idea.

That one? viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23464&start=0
Estaar

Postby Estaar » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 am

Yes yes yes. Thank you Ronja!

And I see it's in Accepted suggestions already.
Stranger in a strange land.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:21 pm

Chris wrote:By the way, I find it ironic that newspawns who did something similar to what your character did (i.e., leave a familiar place to start a new life) undermined your effort to build your town.

No irony involved at all. My character spawned in a deserted location because of visiting explorers. He didn't leave an established town. Everyone in that region is descended from him, yet he was never able to keep more than two at a time, because everyone wants their own town. There was no need for them to remain with him.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks, Ronja. Not the exact discussion I was thinking of, but I remember that one too. :)
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Nalaris

Postby Nalaris » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:15 pm

My most recent character spawned almost adjacent to another character, who wanders around the area regularly. So I decided to kill him off immediately rather than juggle the fact that these two would undoubtedly meet face to face soon and often. So, consider this a reaffirmation that some way of making sure this sort of thing doesn't happen would be awesome.
g1asswa1ker

Postby g1asswa1ker » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Nice to have a note when you spawn of whom you got your genetics from
Somehow you strayed and lost your way,
and now there'll be no time to play,
no time for joy,
no time for friends
- not even time to make amends.
You are too naïve if you do believe life is innocent laughter and fun.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:07 am

g1asswa1ker wrote:Nice to have a note when you spawn of whom you got your genetics from

A completely different suggestion and a very controversial one.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:30 pm

I like both suggestions to a certain degree, maybe with some tweaking it could work..

Return to “Likely Suggestions”