Show Actions In Whispers

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

wadko

Re: Show Actions In Whispers

Postby wadko » Wed May 30, 2012 9:40 am

Doug R. wrote:
Navi wrote:Snickie's concern is valid though. It happens often enough in game that characters denoting emotes are missing that it isn't a stretch at all that this could happen. But a misplaced character is more likely to have possible side effects in game in this case (possibly saying something out loud that should have been private). Maybe a preview button would be a good idea in this case? Even a verification of matching sets (there is an even number of them, if a single character is being used) when clicking to submit it would be better than nothing (similar to most online forms requiring valid email address, etc.).

Accidentally saying something out loud that is meant to be a whisper is already a possible part of the game. I had a character killed because of a mistake like that. Typos will happen, but I don't think we need to hard-code protections against it.

Well then I'm against this suggestion. Or I will change the character that means action, insted of * I will use something else.
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:13 pm

wadko wrote:
Doug R. wrote:
Navi wrote:Snickie's concern is valid though. It happens often enough in game that characters denoting emotes are missing that it isn't a stretch at all that this could happen. But a misplaced character is more likely to have possible side effects in game in this case (possibly saying something out loud that should have been private). Maybe a preview button would be a good idea in this case? Even a verification of matching sets (there is an even number of them, if a single character is being used) when clicking to submit it would be better than nothing (similar to most online forms requiring valid email address, etc.).

Accidentally saying something out loud that is meant to be a whisper is already a possible part of the game. I had a character killed because of a mistake like that. Typos will happen, but I don't think we need to hard-code protections against it.

Well then I'm against this suggestion. Or I will change the character that means action, insted of * I will use something else.

I'm likely to do the same if this is implemented.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed May 30, 2012 1:40 pm

* has nothing to do with the proposed system. Please attempt to understand what's being proposed before stating an objection.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Rumaan

Postby Rumaan » Wed May 30, 2012 4:01 pm

EchoMan wrote:Add -emote-, <emote> and **emote. to the list. Seen all three recently.

What exactly is this supposed to mean? Also, can the default public emote marker be something other than *, which is the most commonly used? This is to help the new players, who might not understand the whole thing about public and private emotes and might not know that they can modify the marker for public emote in settings.
Rumaan

Postby Rumaan » Wed May 30, 2012 4:07 pm

On a slightly different note - suggestions that have been discussed at great length usually morph from their original form. So, can a sticky post describing the suggestion in its current form be placed on the last page? This should be possible at least for suggestions where there is a big consensus on the proposed features.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed May 30, 2012 4:17 pm

Guys, this is really, really simple.

In a whisper, if you enclose something in # #, it will be visible to others. Nothing more, nothing less. All this stuff about differences in emote characters can be eliminated by just printing whatever is in the pound characters. So: #*he looks at her*# or #::he looks at her::#

If you put it in # #, it gets printed publicly. That's all this is.
Rumaan

Postby Rumaan » Wed May 30, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks Doug. It sounds reasonable now.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Wed May 30, 2012 4:33 pm

My post was merely a question about how that would work. It did not have to get blown up into a huge debate about typos and spell check and previews and whatever. If you make a typo and your whisper becomes exposed for all to hear, that's your problem.

An alternative option is to use curly brackets or something (though I'm not sure if all the language groups' keyboards support them) and then have a rejection error if the brackets don't all match up with each other (i.e. there are more left curly brackets than right, improperly placed brackets (like }emote{ instead of {emote}), etc). Although I don't really know why I'm bothering to post this paragraph. Just let me know when it gets done so I can give you your cookies.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed May 30, 2012 4:54 pm

Snickie wrote:My post was merely a question about how that would work.

Well, this does indeed appear to biggest stumbling block to implementation. There can be infinite combinations of whispers and visible emotes.

W = Whisper
V = Visible

So, if the input is WVWVW, how is that output? Normally, that would take up 5 lines. How to get it into one line and not look/be grammatically wrong?

You see X whisper to Y, V, X whisper to Y, V, X whisper to Y...?
toon

Postby toon » Wed May 30, 2012 4:59 pm

Maybe more along the lines of
You see X whisper to Y: ...*X*...*X*...

The dots would show that there was a pause for talking in the midst.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed May 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Interesting solution. That might work, though ellipses are generally used to denote speechlessness or a pause, so I would worry about confusion as to meaning. Maybe something along this line, but just a different symbol? ~~~~~?
wadko

Postby wadko » Wed May 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Doug R. wrote:Guys, this is really, really simple.

In a whisper, if you enclose something in # #, it will be visible to others. Nothing more, nothing less. All this stuff about differences in emote characters can be eliminated by just printing whatever is in the pound characters. So: #*he looks at her*# or #::he looks at her::#

If you put it in # #, it gets printed publicly. That's all this is.

Yes, and I will use other characters for emotions and actions when I'm whispering, so it WON'T be published to others.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Wed May 30, 2012 8:35 pm

Doug R. wrote:Accidentally saying something out loud that is meant to be a whisper is already a possible part of the game. I had a character killed because of a mistake like that. Typos will happen, but I don't think we need to hard-code protections against it.

I see this it differently. The chance to say something outloud is an implemented game mechanic. A few typos or mistakes are often fine but this can cause a lot of jummbled mistakes and bad rp and rp recovery.
Though I agree some symbol around the astrix would be the best solution too.
My old banner ;)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed May 30, 2012 9:34 pm

I wasn't referring to being overheard, I was referring to actually saying something out loud instead of a whisper.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Thu May 31, 2012 12:29 am

Oh there is that chance? Sorry I'm a little lost.
Is there a mechanic that gives the chance that something u say in a whisper is said too loud OR That each user has a chance they may over hear a whisper OR both...?
On the whisper page, there is the text box, back button and forward button hence the confusion...
My old banner ;)

Return to “Likely Suggestions”